[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

New fry tanks

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Grue View Post
    My 2c when Drilling holes I use a drill guide to ensure it stays flat. I expect to spend 30-45 minutes per hole. (Tempered takes more) Question where did you get your amphipods, copepods? As I am starting up still and would love to swwd my Referum
    Grue
    30 to 45 minutes??? It takes maybe 2 minutes to drill through 1/4" glass. You can stretch it out to 5 minutes if you really want to, but I didn't have any real notable difference between the two.

As far as I know, it is not possible to drill tempered glass.
    Marc

Visit Melev's Reef

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by melev View Post
    30 to 45 minutes??? It takes maybe 2 minutes to drill through 1/4" glass. You can stretch it out to 5 minutes if you really want to, but I didn't have any real notable difference between the two.

As far as I know, it is not possible to drill tempered glass.

Marc is dead on, the surface tension of tempered glass is way too high for drilling. Even trying to slowly grind holes makes for a LOT of pieces.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Grue - Reefkeeper CR Member

So Ok I am Slow =p perhaps even one of jerrys Kids (Jerry lewis) And that is how long it takes me up to 30 min for a regular hole and 45 minutes on a tempered glass hole. No chips no distorted edges. Flame on people flame on :D
    Grue
    Don't Turn off the lights! The Grue's will get you!

First Name
    Dave

Must have the magic touch.... I've never successfully drilled tempered, after a dozen or so tries I gave up and believed what I'd read and been told for years. I was under the impression that drilled tanks with tempered bottoms, like AGA, drill the glass then temper it before assembly... Could very well be wrong....
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

roadcrew - Reefkeeper CR Member

i drilled a van window for the vent latch before with a regular masonry bit. i took it really slow, used light pressure, and after i think 45 minuites i made it through. i kept my finger right next to the bit to feel the heat build up. but this was the second attempt as i broke the first one when it got to hot. so you can drill tempered glass.

Sea~Horse~Whisperer - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default rest of fry

He had the remaining fry yesterday. New fry tank is working great. Sorry they are blurry. I told them to hold still, but being typical kids they ignored me and continued to wiggle around

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

Those crazy kids. Very cool. Congrats.

First Name
    Dave

Angie, what's your survival rate to Juv & adult stages been with those guys?

Sparky - Reefkeeper CR Member

Thats alot of babies congrates!!!

Sea~Horse~Whisperer - Reefkeeper CR Member

Out of my first batch I only got 4 live to adults. The are they daddy's to all of my current fry. The batch of fry From Nov. 2nd I have 8. I lost 100% of the following 2 batches due to snicking air and an outbreak of hydroids. I treated the fry tank with panacur and it was hydroid free after that. I have about 30 that are a mixed batch from 2 different daddy's 4 days apart born on Dec 12th.

Not very good numbers, that is why I switched to a different fry system. The Kriesel bowls were not working very well. The fry seem tiny so I ordered small strain brine shrimp, so I hope that will help as well.

In the kriesel bowls tiny micro bubbles would build up on the sides of the bowls. The fry would snick the microbubbles when they were eating the BBS off the sides and could not get rid of the bubbles. That is what killed them.

As for the exact ratio of living to dying, I couldn't tell you that. I tried to stop counting them because I don't want to know how many died. I finally stopped crying over every dead fry. I had to toughen up a little and after so many die I think you tend to get a little hard hearted. It's still frustrating and I hate it, but I can handle it much better now.

Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last