[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

new to saltwater!!!

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Default new to saltwater!!!

Hi I am new to salt water and would like some advice on corals and fish, like if I were to start a reef tank and it fills up alot of the tank does that effect how many fish I can keep in???

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Welcome to CR!

I would say for the most part coral growth doesn't affect the fish. With that said, if you know space is going to be limited you might avoid fish that are known to be real active swimmers like tangs and some wrasses. My tank is pretty packed and I think the fish enjoy it more because it provides them "cover" and more places to hunt.

It will be interesting to get others opinions on this as well. What size tank are you considering getting?
    Likes AshleyDawn2317 liked this post

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

A few things come to my mind with having to many corals. That would be for those fish that love picking algae & pods off the rock. If the rock is covered with corals, no room for the grazers.
    Another being like Jim said, room to swim.

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

ReefTech - Reefkeeper Moderator

First Name
    Matt
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014. Yugo Award - For running the CR booth during MCES

Again, welcome to CR!!!

keeping coral really doesn't impact the number of fish you can keep but more so what species of fish you can keep. Theres many species that like corals in their diet so this is a major factor to keep in mind when your planning out what kind of corals you plan on keeping so you can choose fish that will compliment your reef and not just snack on them all the time. A big factor in how many fish you can keep though is the size of the aquarium you plan on setting up and what kind of filtration you plan on running.

thanks everyone for the advice, it was very helpful !!!! I really love tangs I understand they outgrow a small tank fast and require atleast 180 gallons or so.... I have seen people keep tangs in 60-100 gallons and they have lived along time in that size aquarium and seemed to be very happy fish ....so I was just wondering what exactly is an ideal size aquarium for a blue hippo tang ?? right now I have a 145 gallon and a 50 gallon aquarium I want to set up as saltwater..

in a 50 gallon tank could someone recommend a good filter/ pump that is not really expensive for reef and fish, I understand they need water movement some more than others ?? thanks

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

Welcome to our little piece if the ocean... When planning for fish and corals, tank volume is critical. One thing folks overlook is that a 50 gal tank packed with corals (and rock work) isn't really 50 gals of water... It can be 20 - 30 % less, perhaps less than that even.

So, know what volume you REALLY have when planning biomass. A full tank that size might only support a few small fish.

If your heart is set on tangs, you should consider using that 145 gallon tank instead...
    Likes Tom Toro, MizTanks, AshleyDawn2317 liked this post

ReefTech - Reefkeeper Moderator

First Name
    Matt
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014. Yugo Award - For running the CR booth during MCES

Quote Originally Posted by dlhirst View Post
    Welcome to our little piece if the ocean... When planning for fish and corals, tank volume is critical. One thing folks overlook is that a 50 gal tank packed with corals (and rock work) isn't really 50 gals of water... It can be 20 - 30 % less, perhaps less than that even.

So, know what volume you REALLY have when planning biomass. A full tank that size might only support a few small fish.

If your heart is set on tangs, you should consider using that 145 gallon tank instead...
    I agree, if your leaning towards a tang or two, the 145 is the way to go. Personally, I would set up the 145 as my display and take the 50 gallon and turn it into my sump. But your budget is going to be the biggest factor when it comes to deciding what size your going to set up.
    Likes MizTanks, AshleyDawn2317 liked this post

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by dlhirst View Post

You are so right about this @dlhirst Thanks for the reminder
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

thank you that info was very helpful !!!! how many tangs could you put into a 145 gallon ???

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

oh I am sorry I should have continue reading a tang or two alright lol thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last