[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

oscellaris fighting

Bookmark and Share

Unhappy oscellaris fighting

I have 2 oscellaris for over a year and they have been very compatible; always staying together and sleeping in the same area.
    In the last week, I have noticed the big oscellaris picking on and nipping at the small oscellaris. It has been so bad ,the small one has started to hide near the uptake tube of my ecosystem which I have been discouraging.
    Also I have noticed lost scales and now little white spots on that area of lost scales on the large Oscellaris. It swims along fine and eats and eats and appears in no distress.
    Why did they stop getting along?
    Is the big one sick?
    Will an anemone help the little one for protection. I have tried an anemone in the past but since they are captive bread, they didn't go to it. And since the anemone died about 6 mths ago I have not replaced it.
    I change the water every 2 weeks and my h20 parameters are fine. All my other fish are fine. I have added nothing to my 60 gallon tank in over 6 mths and everyone was happy until this last week.

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

Puberty is a wounderful and frightening thing my friend. I would assume they will be starting to spawn soon.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

that is what my daughter thought. But I was dismissing that

CR Member

Default Domance

The fish are sorting out who will be the dominant female. Clown fish can change sex. They have interesting spawning habits.

mutts - Reefkeeper Registered User
    First Name
    Manda Wolf

yep they have to figure out who is going to be in charge. it should work out alright, i had a mated pair of clowns and they would just fight and fight and the big one (female) would chase the little male all around nipping at him, unless she was scared then she would hid behind him and he would heard her into their home and stand guard, it was quite cute. just keep an eye on them and make sure it dosn't get to bad.
    ~Amanda~

It is really nice to see you here in this thread. While your online how about you go over to the TOTM thread and enter or vote. It will only take a minute

Thanks for the insight. Right now they are staying at opposite places in the tank and not bothering each other. I am still concerned about the little white spots on my big oscellaris. It is eating fine and has no darting movements. Unable to give you photo, since I am not good with digital camera.

iVgOnMaD - Reefkeeper CR Member

if he get really messed up take the small one out.
    60g Tank: 10g Fuge/Sump, Current Nova Extreme 4x54w T5HO + 4 LED, Wave2k, 2x Seio M620, Euro-Reef RS5-2 Skimmer, 130 lbs Live Rock, 3" Live Sand, LPS Corals, Zoa's, Saddle Anemone, Pulsating Xenia, GSP, Neon GSP, Purple Shrooms, Crocea Clam, Pair of Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Tail Damsel, Coral Beauty Angel, Black Sailfin Blenny, Eel (Gymnothorax tile), Coral Banded Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp, Sally Light Foot Crab.

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

I would take the larger out to allow the small one to better establish his area then reintroduce the large one first.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????