[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Pony Corrals

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
    JustDavidP - Reefkeeper CR Member

My clean up crew consists of 12 blue legged hermits and 6 scarlet hermits. They pay NO attention to the seahorses. I'd NOT get any other crabs, arrow, mythrax etc. as they may ACCIDENTALLY nip at the tails of a seahorse.

I also have a 3 inch red/pink banded serpent star (I'd stay clear of the "brittle" kind, as they've been known to hunt-especially the green ones)

I also have 12 nassarius snails, 2 mexican turbos and 8 astrea turbos.

I put in two pepermint shrimp to eat any aptasia.

Finally, I've put in about 6 live ghost/grass/glass shrimp who also clean up any scraps of mysid that float to the back of the tank, out of the reach of the ponies. As a bonus, they carry eggs and have babies about every two weeks. The seahorses snick up the babies whenever they can.

The orange sponge would be perfect in the pony tank. They don't sting like corals and would act as another hitching post. Also, pony tanks, being slow water tanks, and typically higher in nutrient load than a reef, would benefit from the additional filtering of ANY sponges.

Zoas and shrooms are okay in a pony tank. Yes, they could trap babies if you are breeding, but, keep in mind....

Baby seahorses, after leaving the pouch, float to the water surface. They do so in order to feed on plankton and to gulp air and fill their swim bladders. If they do not float, they will have bouyancy problems for their entire life. With that said, they will probably NOT get mixed up with zoas. You'd have to remove them from the tank into a rearing tank anyways. In a rearing tank, I'd not have any zoas.

The feeding dish is a nice idea, but my ponies have no use for it. They do NOT want to find food in a dish. They would rather hunt the food so I drop in the mysid and let it free float. Others who have ponies say that theirs DO eat from dishes. Mine do not. I've since removed the shell.

I got a 4th pony this weekend. Another female. I now have 1 male, three females, and two ORA Orange Male Reidi on order from a local supplier.

Dave
    ><((((

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

Thank you! That was an extremely informative post! You are going to be a big help to me as I get closer and closer to getting my ponies. The wall tank is going to be a pretty place for them, but my biggest problem with it is that it's up so high that I have trouble getting into the tank. Is there much maintenence "in the tank" once it's established? If it's alot, I may pick up a bow front tank and start a new cycle in that and use the wall tank for something else that I'm sure we won't have any problem deciding on what to fill it with. Thanks again Dave!!
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

After setting up the tank, I rarely put my hands in. There are no stony corals knocked over or other issues to deal with. I'm also NOT keeping my calcium too high so shouldn't have TOO much coraline to scrape. I use a magfloat every couple days to keep the dusters from growing on the glass.

As a matter of fact, I can't remember when I was in the tank last.

Dave
    ><((((

Sounds like my wall tank may be perfect yet! I'm really hoping it is. It would be so perfect and beautiful. It's almost ready to, and I wouldn't have to start over or buy any more tanks. I'm at the point where I feel we have enough tanks up around the house. I'm going to use your brain often!!
    Owner/Administrator

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

Someone may as well use it...

Most often, I'm used for my back.

Why can't someone just want the whole package?

D
    ><((((

Oh, I'm sure you are!
    Owner/Administrator

~*

See...now I'm hit up for the "birthday donations" at work. Now I'm wanted just for my wallet!

><((((

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3