[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Powder Blue Tang Journal

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Hopefully someone more experienced with treating fish like Stunreef will chime in, but I think at this point the most important thing is to feed feed feed.
    You need to get the fish's immune system up and as strong as possible first so that he has the strength to tolerate what ever medications you're adding to the tank.
    Once your confident the fish is getting enough nutrition, I would then worry about taking care of fin and scale issues.
    But Im fairly certain that through feeding appropriate diet like Nori, and New Life Spectrum Pellets Thera A+ formula, a little mysis the fin issues will take care of them self and hopefully will be in a better situation to battle any potential ich issues.
    Test the params of the tank and keep us posted!
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

CR Member

What is your copper level at and what are you using to test it?

Unlike many other copper meds, Seachem Cupramine doesn't get absorbed as much (into LR and sand), although it still does some.

Is the fish twitching at all, particularly it's head? Is it still eating well for you?

Cupramine is pretty safe to mix with other meds, but not 100% sure about with Melafix although I think you would be alright (make sure to double check with manufacturer or someone who's done it themselves). Any pictures of the fish?

Also for future reference I always get the fish eating very well intially (week or so) before doing any copper treatment. Copper can cause fish to stop eating pretty quick, so it's good to get their fat reserves built up first.

BK's Reef - Reefkeeper CR Member

Everything about him is fine...he does no signs of illness just has the stuff on him...probably due to stress...honestly im working on getting a test kit because I can't use the seachem ones atleast I read. So I was under dosing, which isn't bad is it?
    "reefing sure takes up your money...but it is the best money ive ever spent!"

http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/marine-fish/bks-90-fowlr-8632/
    ^^^90 Fowlr thread

CR Member

Under dosing isn't bad, but it's easy to overdose as well. I would go with a Salifert Cu kit. The Seachem kits are absolute garbage. For copper to be effective you'll want it to remain at a steady level... it's possible that the fluctuation couldn't stressed the fish out some, although not very likely (assuming it wasn't overdosed).

What do you mean by "stuff" on him? On his fins? Are they tattered? Pictures would be very helpful, or maybe see if you can find any online if you can't take one...

"Fin rot" can be a sign of a couple thngs, and some of them progress fast so we want to make sure to take the right steps. Step 1 as Rob mentioned is to feed the heck out of him, but other med(s) might be necessary.

I well get a picture soon...he had about a .25" diameter spot on his side that is popped out and his right side fin is decaying...

^^^90 Fowlr thread

Update.
    The tang did pick up a bacterial infection as stated earlier...i fed him three times a day with mostly garlic soaked seaweed and mysis and prime reef. After 4 days of noticing this infection i decided it would be best to dose the melafix. So i have been dosing that for about 3 days now and he seems to be losing it or atleast visually. His fin that was starting to rot has stopped and hes eating healthy. Tomorrow is the big 2 week mark, half way to the mark where if hes healthy he will be going into the main display. Hopefully my black friday doesnt turn too dark due to this fish, but i doubt it seems healthy.

^^^90 Fowlr thread

Bad news...i added the powder blue to my main tank last friday he got ich but was still eating well everyday except yesterday...all of his fins were either rotting or my fricken puffer was nipping at himbecause he was alittle week.moved him to the qt and we're up this morning hes on his side struggling...terrible day for me

he passed away earlier today:'(

^^^90 Fowlr thread

cephalotus - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan

Sorry for your loss.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2