[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Powder Brown

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CR Member
    First Name
    Joel

Default Powder Brown

I just added a powder brown tang to my reef tank. Was looking great at the trop, and a few hours ago. Only been in the tank 24 hrs. I've noticed lots of little small white dots all over the fish. He is starting to swim around the tank more today but still hides some, and I've seen him munching on the rock work. I haven't seen it eat any of the food I've added to the tank. Any way the dots worry me. They almost look like little air bubbles. Any idea what it may be? Should I be worried? I did some googling and came up with ich maybe? I've had the tank up for a year and never had that before. I also have 4 cleaner shrimp in the tank that I thought would take care of any pop ups.

Thanks

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Most likely it is ick. Ick is very common with tangs. My understanding is that it is almost always present in marine tanks, but fish tend to be more susceptible when they are stressed. If the fish is healthy (and not being picked on by his new mates), it should be fine. Food is often treated with garlic as a natural treatment for ick...not sure if the garlic itself, or the fact that fish often like to eat it and it helps keep them eating.

CR Member
    First Name
    Joel

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    Most likely it is ick. Ick is very common with tangs. My understanding is that it is almost always present in marine tanks, but fish tend to be more susceptible when they are stressed. If the fish is healthy (and not being picked on by his new mates), it should be fine. Food is often treated with garlic as a natural treatment for ick...not sure if the garlic itself, or the fact that fish often like to eat it and it helps keep them eating.
    Thanks for the info. That's pretty much exactly what I was reading. I don't have one yet but I may set up a quarantine tank for the fish.

Yep, sounds like ich! The cleaner shrimp are your best bet. Garlic can be rough on inverts such as the shrimp and make them act sluggish or even lay down on the bottom of the tank. The best bet is to not feed too much, so the shrimp get hungry and they should clean the tang up. If they eat too much food they won't be so eager to clean the fish. Common situation with all powder tangs. Just be patient and don't overfeed. Feel free to call the store as well with any concerns. Thanks, Ray

CR Member
    First Name
    Joel

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Perrin View Post
    Yep, sounds like ich! The cleaner shrimp are your best bet. Garlic can be rough on inverts such as the shrimp and make them act sluggish or even lay down on the bottom of the tank. The best bet is to not feed too much, so the shrimp get hungry and they should clean the tang up. If they eat too much food they won't be so eager to clean the fish. Common situation with all powder tangs. Just be patient and don't overfeed. Feel free to call the store as well with any concerns. Thanks, Ray
    Thanks for the info. All the fish are looking great and getting along pretty well. The tang is acting fine a little shy but he is grazing on the rocks and looking a little better ten he did last night. Thanks for your help. And I did call the store this morning you guys were very helpful
    Likes jimsflies liked this post

CR Member
    First Name
    Joel

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Perrin View Post
    I just finished with about a 30-40% water change and I fresh water dipped the tang. Only feed the tank this morning, and I was only going to feed it tomorrow morning as well. The tang is hiding quite a bit right now....is there anything I should do or anything else I should do.

Thanks again!

Joel

CR Member
    First Name
    Joel

looking at him this morning. Still hiding, and the ick seems to be all over him again. have not fed anyone yet this morning. should I just skip today? Start feeding tomorrow or in a few days? any thing else I should do?

AJ :) - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    aj

Personally I would make sure the fish is well fed. But not to the point where lots of leftovers are feeding the shrimp.

What have you been feeding it?

CR Member
    First Name
    Joel

I feed the green stuff from trop. Haven't seen him eat any of it yet but I have seen him grazing on the rocks some.

AJ :) - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    aj

Although that is probably a great long term food. You may want to offer something meatier just to get some food in it.

You may want to try small chunks of Rod's food original blend or other meaty mixture.

I say this because often newly bought fish are on the thin side and it's body will need energy to fend off the ich.

Hopefully it will go for something quickly for you. I would probably pass on frozen brine unless you can't find anything else. As it is said that there is little nutrition in that food.

Good luck!

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

Call the store, they may have other advise as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last