[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Powder Brown Tang

Bookmark and Share
    buzzard - Reefkeeper CR Member

Question Powder Brown Tang

Good day eh!!!
    I'm picking up a Powder Brown Tang tomorrow from MarineScape here in ottawa and was just wondering about ich.
    I know a lot of tangs ar prone to it but I was just wondering how I can prevent it or lower the chances of him getting it.
    The fish came in last friday and they held it for me for a week(They are good for that)
    It is in a tank by itself and has NO signs of ANY trouble.
    All of there FISH ONLY tanks have there own seperate filters and ALL of there fish look totaly healthy so I can't see me bringing any parisites home from there.
    Stress???
    Looking forward to hearing some feedback.

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

QT the fish. Plain and simple no way around it.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

mutts - Reefkeeper Registered User
    First Name
    Manda Wolf

I know QTing sounds like a lot of trouble, and you saw the fish, you saw the place it came from, and it was healthy, so you (not you in general just you as a whole of hobbyist) put it right into your tank thinking it will be okay. But there are two things going on. The first while we take (or should take) time acclimating fish they are still going from one water to another. Remember the lfs got the fish in too so it had to adjust to their water. if they are a popular lfs they are getting new fish in all the time and while if they are responsible they will not sell the fish for a few days but you really can’t tell if a fish will have health problems in a few days. So your fish has now be introduced into three different waters (the shipping water, the lfs water, and now your water) while in a quarantine tank the fish can get used to just your water. You can watch it for the three weeks and make sure it is eating, healthy, and dose not get sick then you can add it into your tank. The fish now no longer has to get used to your water it just has to get used to the different environment, an environment where it is no longer the only fish, where it has to fight to establish territory, and has to compete for food. Normally a fish can handle a moderate amount of stress but dealing with these all together are enough to make the fish’s immune system slow down a little bit which is enough to allow the fish to get ich.

There I have rambled on enough, hope this helps, ich is no fun, trust me!
    ~Amanda~

It is really nice to see you here in this thread. While your online how about you go over to the TOTM thread and enter or vote. It will only take a minute

greg97527 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

another quick note, if it looks healthy in the LFS you should look and see if it is only fish with no live rock etc. chances are that the LFS uses copper.
    It's all about the reef. :YEAH:

hummer - Reefkeeper CR Member

and again there right
    :: hummer :nemo

good info really did not know that

chris