[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

problem with sand sifter

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member
    First Name
    Zachary

Default problem with sand sifter

Ok, I have been going to preuss for a while now and noticed that the sand in there sps dominated display tank was extremely white and I asked how they keep it so white and they showed me the diamond spotted sand sifting goby, well I noticed there tank having large amounts of flow and it seemed the goby wasn't doing any harm well I decided to purchase a much smaller one and throw it in my 120 with aragonite sand, he immediatly started sifting and I thought everything was cool until I came back about 2 hours later and it looked like a sand storm in my tank, it has been like this since the day I bought him, basically I was wondering if it looks that way because of his initial sifting and my sand is in fact dirty and thats whats floating and it won't last very long or is it going to look like a constant sand storm in my tank?

FlynnFish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    shanny
    Awards MBI Apprentice - Award nomination from bigbill accepted. Photo of the Month MBI Participant

The "sandstorm" can last a few days to a weekor more , depending on how long it takes your goby to clean up. That dust is just micro fauna(that corals love) and detritus debris. Do you have any filter socks in your system? This would help out a great deal if you have one. We have Diamond Sleeper Gobies in almost every tank at the store I work at also, they do a great job on keeping things tidy, but I made the mistake for bringing one home. My husbands tank has large colonies of montipora, and some chalices on the sand bed. We lost two colonies of the montipora and three species of chalices. The goby made his home under these corals and dug out a large burrow and threw the sand on top of them! Everyday we were getting into the tank to clean of the corals, they eventually died off. So make sure all your corals are off the sandbed.
    I need to attend a Fish Breeders Anonymous class.
    mbi sigaspx?uflynnfish&ampimg2 - problem with sand sifter
    Likes Sir Patrick liked this post

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Very interesting!
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

CR Member
    First Name
    Zachary

well that explains why my corals polyps are extended more than usual, I will get a turky baster for the rock anemone I just got, I really don't want him biting the dust. Other than that I don't have any other coral on the sand bed besides an elegance coral.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I'll bet you bought the one I was looking at the other day in there. Please keep us updated...curious about these fish myself.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by FlynnFish View Post
    The "sandstorm" can last a few days to a weekor more , depending on how long it takes your goby to clean up. That dust is just micro fauna(that corals love) and detritus debris. Do you have any filter socks in your system? This would help out a great deal if you have one. We have Diamond Sleeper Gobies in almost every tank at the store I work at also, they do a great job on keeping things tidy, but I made the mistake for bringing one home. My husbands tank has large colonies of montipora, and some chalices on the sand bed. We lost two colonies of the montipora and three species of chalices. The goby made his home under these corals and dug out a large burrow and threw the sand on top of them! Everyday we were getting into the tank to clean of the corals, they eventually died off. So make sure all your corals are off the sandbed.
    Couldnt have said it better myself!

CR Member
    First Name
    mike

Default diamond gobie

I got one of these myself and thought that they would be awesome! I saw it in a different tank and wanted one. I traded for one that was about 3". He did exactly what everyone priorly has said. SAND STORM!!!! this was for about a week or so then no sand storm. He will bury anything on the bottom if it is there I have lost a few different corals my self but he really does a good job keeping the sand clean. I have the fine sugar sand in my tank and at first hated the gobie but now I am glad I have him. they do look cool as well.

spartanrob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob

Would a diamond goby and a pink spotted goby be okay together in a 90 gallon tank?

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Pics are always welcome
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

I just got a diamond goby last Sunday. It is not really. Sand storm but a dust storm he has been making for the past days. It is getting less and less which is nice, my sand was "new" like less the a month old. I have heard of people with older sand adding one and it taking a month to work through all the sand. I notice too that I have had to empty my skimmer every day since I got him. Best wishes with your new little pet, I totally understand the "sand storm" thing lol however I was prepared by a few people and knew that was going to happen. I have sugar sand and well now and I hear it blows around a ton less as the bacteria colonize.. So I hear
    Heidi