[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

sea horse fry project

Bookmark and Share
    Sea~Horse~Whisperer - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default sea horse fry project

Here is a preview of my next project. This will be in a 13x 18 room. (my old office) I may change a few things yet, like using 1 or 2 commercial air pumps instead of a bunch of dual output ones. Once my male gets better I'm hopeing for babies out of this pair. I'm also leaning twords buying another pair from seahorsesource.com . I figure since I have male / female pairs and I'm home 6 days a week, I might as well try to raise the fry. My hubby is gonna kill me when he sees my new project. But he will build it, and when I raise them and sell them he will be happy. (I hope )

If you see anything that can be improved on, let me know. I have priced everything out for all of the equipment and supplies and it comes to about 1200.00. Not as bad as I thought it would be.

Angie

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Now that looks quite well thought out.... Wonder if I should bury this thread before *someone* gets any ideas??? LOL

Actually it's quite helpful since this seems to be the direction things are heading for Angel's H. Reidi, I admittedly don't know much about them but I'm certain them are likely 'coming of age'. That I know for certain there is no way there could be fry in her tank(s) and not do our best to try and raise them to maturity.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

LOL. There's a major difference in Redi fry and Erectus Fry. Redi fry do NOT hitch at birth. They have to be kept in a Kriesel (sp?) tank for a few weeks. They have to be kept suspended in the water column or they willl float to the top and snick air, resulting in death. Redi fry are more difficult to rear.
    Erectus fry can hitch at birth, I added the kriesel systems for the ones who can not, smaller and weaker ones. I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. There are variations in the Kriesel systems. I just picked the one I like best. For as much as I spend on live feeds for my sea horses, I'm hopeing to break even if I can raise and sell the babies. It's a nice thought, but I will probably spend more then I would make. My sea horses are my "Money pits". If I have to be in debt up to my eyeballs, I might as well enjoy the cause of it, lol.
    I have enough spare tanks here right now to handle 1 brood. Just in case I get suprised before I get the room built. That room will handle 3-4 broods. I have read that it will take about 4-5 months raise them up to a sellable size. YIKES!!! That's a lot of time, supplies, and expenses before I would see any profits, if any at all. Profit or no, I can't just let them die without trying. I just don't have it in me. I may not be successful and I will probably loose a lot of them. I'm pig headed so I will keep trying untill I get it right. I may have to add another brute container for mixed SW if I ever have all of the tanks going. That's a lot of water changes. I think the salt will be the most expensive thing in the beginning, then the foods. (after the building and equipment of course)
    After taking to my hubby, I may have to go back to work for awhile to build up the funds before I start this adventure. Hee hee, I'm state certified for home Day care so if I have to, I can still be home and working. Daycare just doesn't pay as well as my CNA license does. We will talk about it more when he gets home. He says the semi needs some major repair work so there goes my project money. I will figure out something. I always do.

If Susan starts raising fry, we could share notes. I have a ton of information saved on my computer. Once they start breeding they can have a brood every 14 days!!! Geeze...prolific little buggers arn't they. Hopefully they will hold off for some time yet.

Angie

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Seahorse, tank & frag room 12x12, and my crafts! All mine in time!

Looking good Angie! I know that I need to set up a little system and be ready for anything. I have a pair doing their dancing, and coloring up for each other. I know that if I see fry in the tank, I'm not going to be able to handle the "natural selection" process where other things in the tank feed on the fry. I see a baby anything, and I go into nurture mode! I know you know what I mean Angie since you are just as bad as I am. I may turn my office into something similar for all of my reefing experiments. I want to start a plant grow out tank, get some like plankton started so I can take care of my own tanks with the DT Product that has become very costly to purchase. I've got lots of my own ideas for this room and I'm getting excited about it. I may put a bed in there in case I become a mad scientist and decide to live in there. I'm catching on to the 'if I need it, I'm going to build it and make it the way I want it!" It will take me a long time to achieve all my goals due to the almighty :money:dude! My new motto: If I build it, it might truly happen. I'm even preparing myself for the mistakes I'm sure I'll make, but that's part of reefing! My room will have to share my crafting space, but I'm sure we can work that out. My dream office! I'll update this dream as it becomes a reality!

You know Angie, maybe we'll be able to get our own store front someday. Run by women who are so picky about everything. We would likely have a nice place! Tones of open store fronts in Mauston! Long term dream but not an impossibility! ...Angel :angel1:
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

mutts - Reefkeeper Registered User
    First Name
    Manda Wolf

wow angie! nice tank plans. i hope it all works out and you can get everyone to breed and the babies to live... i am sure you'll be a great grandma to seahorse babies!
    ~Amanda~

It is really nice to see you here in this thread. While your online how about you go over to the TOTM thread and enter or vote. It will only take a minute

JustDavidP - Reefkeeper CR Member

God Bless Ya! I can't even keep up with two kreisels.
    ><((((

Nice to see ya David.....long time since we've seen ya. I hope everything is going well for you.

Drawing up the plans was the easy part, lol. Actually implementing them and getting it all to run smoothly will be the true test. I will be useing ez eggs for the fry. They are hatching decapsulated brine shrimp eggs. That will be easier then seperating the shells and BBS. I have all of the sponges for the sponge filters in my sump so they are ready to go when I need them. As soom as seahorsesource had erectus back in stock, I will be ordering 2 pairs of Erectus from Dan. I just purchases a 75G for them. I'll be working on that as soon as I get the Live sand ordered. I will post a seperate thread on that.

Angie