[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Seahorses made TOTM in advancedaquarist magazine

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Reptoreef View Post
    Suzy is quite a lady... she lives about a half hour south of me. She's a total buff when it comes to sea horses. I'll have to send her a copy of this post so she knows how much of an influence she has. Maybe she'll chime in and elaborate of just how cool her system is and get involved with our own sea horse forum. hint hint... Love ya Suzy!!!

Jason
    Hi, Jason! Thank you for the invitation to join you here, but you already have a SeahorseWhisperer!

Thank you so much for the kind words. I think the only reason this tank made Advanced Aquarist is it's uniqueness. For so long, we've been told algae is the root of all evil. This stricks me as very odd, because freshwater planted tanks are so popular and SW has so many more colors and textures. There are thousands of macroalgae identified, and even more that have yet to be claimed.

I see this part of our hobby really taking off soon!

Again, thank you for the kinds words! See you Thursday, Jason?

JustDavidP - Reefkeeper CR Member

HEY!!! Another Sygnathid Head!! Welcome to CR Suzy!!! Your system is amazing. I NEED to compile a nice mixture of macro like you have. I currently use C. Serrulata, other "Atlantic Macros" and grasses (which aren't doing well...Mr. Urchin thinks it's HIS buffet).

Bow9 06 - Seahorses made TOTM in advancedaquarist magazine

Other than that, I have the MOST BEAUTIFUL crop of hair algae in New England. I'm at the end of the battle (had massive snail die off causing a bloom) but have these nasty TURF tufts that, while actually pretty, get long, break apart, and begin to spread again. I'll get to the bottom of it..but it HAS been a battle.

Please do use our Seahorsing Around Forum. I really want to get it LOADED with good information for Angel and her CR friends.

Dave
    ><((((

WELCOME TO CR SUZY!!! And congrats on the TOTM... very cool tank!!!

I'm not sure if I'm fond of your avitar Sweetpea...it doesn't seem fitting... I see REPTO as more of a shark... you need a cute seahorse or something..

D
    ><((((

Quote Originally Posted by JustDavidP View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm fond of your avitar Sweetpea...
    I kinda like my little rubber sharkie...
    However, it IS about time for me to change it again. I'm open for suggestions, though I don't think a seahorse would be quite right for me. I could always go back to my heart-shaped feather duster...

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Suzy
    For so long, we've been told algae is the root of all evil. This stricks me as very odd, because freshwater planted tanks are so popular and SW has so many more colors and textures. There are thousands of macroalgae identified, and even more that have yet to be claimed.
    Macro's the root of evil? They are fantastic for taking up nutrients, even nusiance types like David's hair algae farm, so what if it needs a trim.

I look at it this way, know why do highway departments plant so many bushes and stuff in the medians of highways and such.... aside from astethics the plants take up a ton of CO2 and other pollutants that would otherwise just be floating around. (This is how it was explained to me for the southwestern states anyhows).

Quote Originally Posted by Suzy
    I see this part of our hobby really taking off soon!
    I sure hope so, finding decent sized starters for macros besides a few very common macros is rather difficult. However this could explain the rediculous price tags on the few we've stumbled across.

BTW Welcome Aboard Suzy....
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

For what it's worth... I've been "experimenting" with North Atlantic Macro Algae in my systems.

Sargassum (Sargassum natans) works well, needing very little lighting. This does well in my refugium.

Bladderwrack (Fucus vesiculosus) also does well as long as it has the same kind of lighting we use for caulerpa and also has good flow.

Green Fleece Algae aka "Dead Man's Fingers" (Codium fragile) is great. My seahorses love hitching to it. However, it is prone to being overcome by hair algae and other issues due to its spongy nature.

Eel grasses and turtle grasses that I tried did well, but the darned urchin eats it like potato chips. They also need deep sand beds for root structure.

Dave
    ><((((

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2