[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Seahorse's vs. Aptasia!

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

Exclamation Seahorse's vs. Aptasia!

The other morning as I was going to feed my 6 Seahorses, I noticed one did not come out. Both a unique and impressive thing happened. Unfortunately it was precipitated by a bad thing.... Aiptasia. Sometime in the night, a very young aiptasia attached itself to my smallest female pony, Spirit. Here's an idea of just how powerful aiptasia stings are to any type of fish. The aiptasia attached itself to little Spirit, and apparently didn't have any strength left to even bring her out of her favorite sleeping and pod snicking place. I searched and searched for her...sure she was dead at this point...but then I notice my biggest pregnant male pony Snickett, kept hovering over where she was. He kept looking at me and swinging his head toward the little cave where she was, and dipping down in there to try to get her to come up. All of the sudden, Spirit very weakly pulled herself up high enough where I finally could see her. I noticed the small aiptasia firmly attached to her tail. I reached in and pull her up so I could get the aiptasia off of her. I made sure her tail was completely clear of any part of the aiptasia. I rubbed the tiniest bit of antibiotic ointment on her tail once it was clean. At first after I cleaned her off, she stayed in a curled up fetal position she was in as I got the aiptasia off. I let her loose down at the bottom, and she stayed in a fetal position for a little while. Snickett (the male) kept nudging her and encouraging her to swim. I figured I let nature take it's course at this point. If she was going to make it, it was going to be up to her, and her tank family. I took my baster and blew some of the settled shrimp up around her. She uncurled but was to weak to snick and keep upright. Snickett linking his tail around hers, brought her to where the food was floating. She ate!! It did take about 2 days for her to completely return to normal. All the other ponies took turns pulling her around into the food so she would continue to eat. She is one of my favorites because she's the smallest one in the tank. I'm once again amazed at how Seahorses need each other, and how important it is for them to be kept either in a pair or appropriate size group for your tank size.

Anyway, I guess I never saw aiptasia as such a nasty killer, but they are. I would say it would be safe to assume that this could happen to any fish that likes to hide in tunnels and places where there is plentiful live food. We never had aiptasia before in our tanks, but we must have gotten a hitchhiker on something we brought in with something we bought, and they multiple like wildfire. I'm constantly watching for any sign of them now. There won't be any getting my Seahorses anymore, that's for sure.
    This is just a warning I wanted to share with all who read this thread. Kill those nasty buggers if you see them ASAP. The longer you leave one, the more it propagates! Thanks for listening!
    ...Angel :angel1:
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

That is a pretty amazing story. I guess I didn't realize how "family" orientated sea horses are. Very cool. I am glad to hear your pony is better.

mutts - Reefkeeper Registered User
    First Name
    Manda Wolf

wow that is really cool. like whoyah i had no idea they needed and would take care of each other like that. i'm glad she is doing better
    ~Amanda~

It is really nice to see you here in this thread. While your online how about you go over to the TOTM thread and enter or vote. It will only take a minute

Sea~Horse~Whisperer - Reefkeeper CR Member

They do take care of eachother. When my pump failed in my tank, and the oxygen level droped, my female was laying on the sand face down. Once I grabbed her and held her up, the male took over. (I added an airline to the tank immediatly) He held her up for 3 hours, even though he had to be just as oxygen deprived as she was. She made it.....after 3 hrs. she started swimming around like nothing happened.

Susan, I'm glad your little girl made it. Any babies yet?? I'm waiting, lol.

Angie

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

wow, after hearing this story, i think we WILL start a pony tank. we just bought a 10 gal hex so i guess they will go in there.

Red face Seahorse 6pk!

Thanks for all your comments about one of my favorite Reef's! The Seahorses have taught me even more about reefing than I thought I already knew. It's awesome how corals eat, fish school, every things existence compliments each other's, right down to the very beginning of a new reef as we anxiously await something to happen in our big tank of water with the dead shrimp in it. With the first signs of copepod life, we watch in amazement as they move across the sand. As days pass by, we watch them grow and organize themselves into perfect lines. The copepods march like ants, soldiers, kids marching in a parade....they all have a purpose and they do it together. Look how closely the lives of all creatures mirror humans....or is it humans that mirror them?! With every species that comes from the deep or an others place for that matter, I'll continue to be amazed at their "family" relationships. For all the things we cannot touch, see or understand, we can be pretty assured that within each species, there is love and care.

Whoyah....if I actually have a successful batch of fry, I think it's time you think about setting up a tank, because I'm going to send some your way! You are faithfully interested in this forum, and I think you're a perfect candidate. I think your wife and girls would love them to.

You to Mutts! I know you would be a good mommy to some ponies too!
    After all, you could use some more tanks to care for too!
    :p

Now you have it too Bobby! I want to see this site grow with more and more Seahorse owners. I guess if I can successfully get the fry to make it and all, I'll have a way of getting more Seahorse traffic here!

......and of course you too Angie! You have been sold some of the sickliest stock, because I know that you care for them with the utmost love. You've shed to many tears over them. Maybe some home grown Wisconsin one's will give you the joy mine have given me. I must have got lucky or something.

As for little Spirit
    :seahorse:, after that nasty aiptasia planted itself on her tail she's come along darn good. She still sports a little boo-boo right where it attached itself, but I see healing there daily. She's even started to flirt with the boys as you can see in the picture in my post below. You can also tell by this behavior that she is feeling pretty perky! She turns orange mostly on her tummy when she flirts. The other's tend to like to be silver, and yellow.

That's enough of my yammering for the night. I enjoy sharing my little
    6-pack of Seahorses with you guys! G'night! .....Angel
    Owner/Administrator

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

Sea~Horse~Whisperer - Reefkeeper CR Member

Do you have any biobandage? I have 3 bottles of the biobandage powder and 1 bottle of the gel. The powder is better IMO. You are welcome to a bottle if you'd like it. It's nice to have for the "little boo-boo's" that can happen when we arn't expecting it.

Heck, I'm turning into a 1 woman seahorse pharmacy. I just ordered a bottle of 100 caps of triple sulfa and another 16oz bottle of neomycin. The heck witht he 8 capsule blister packs.....I'm getting a 100 capsuls. I don't need it right now, but it's nice to have when I do. ( or others need to borrow some in a hurry Remember I also have the diamox if you ever need it. I also have canulas for the pouch evacuation and tube feeding if that ever comes up.

Oh sure....try to get me to set up yet another tank for Reidi's.......I have so many my hubby wouldn't even notice 1 more tank. Girl....your going to get me into trouble :0

mutts - Reefkeeper Registered User
    First Name
    Manda Wolf

Ah yes angel, you see once the 75 gets set up and the 55 gets torn down it is going to turn into a tank for seahorses. the tentative plan is 4 seahorses, 2 pipefish, and a manderin... i will be stocking up on pods thats for sure. but i'm still in the dream mode i havn't done MUCH hard research on them.

but i do know that if i get them i want to get stock from the site. that means from you angel... or angie... or justdavidp... or by that time who ever is offering ponies!
    ~Amanda~

It is really nice to see you here in this thread. While your online how about you go over to the TOTM thread and enter or vote. It will only take a minute

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

I have to admit, I have thought of a pony tank but a good dose of commen tells me that will need to wait for a number of years. At this point I am content on just tuning in to the "Days of Lives in a Pony Tank." So keep up the good posts and thanks for the offer.

Wink You got that right!

Here you are Angie with all those medications, and I don't have even one med on hand. Shame on me huh, but I haven't had any need for anything at this point. As we talked before, we'll get together and start sharing your pharmacy, and I can help you out with the expence of all that you have on hand. It'd be foolish really for me to go overboard on medications if I don't need them, so I'd rather give you some money toward sharing yours since you have more than you'll ever use. Thank goodness that we live close to each other and can do this sort of thing! We can always find ways to take care of each other when tragedy strikes too. We just have to remember these things when they happen!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea~Horse~Whisperer
    **Do you have any biobandage? I have 3 bottles of the biobandage powder and 1 bottle of the gel. The powder is better IMO. You are welcome to a bottle if you'd like it.
    Sure Angie...I'll take one off your hands. I'd be happy to pay for it! I have to say though, my neosporin ointment took care of it pretty darn good. She is boo-boo free as of today!
    **I also have canulas for the pouch evacuation and tube feeding if that ever comes up.
    Knowing you have that may come in handy with having 2 pregnant males now. I have 3 males. It won't be long before he's preggers too!
    Oh sure....try to get me to set up yet another tank for Reidi's.......I have so many my hubby wouldn't even notice 1 more tank. Girl....your going to get me into trouble :0
    Well of course I'm trying to get you in more trouble, but let's see if I can actually get a successful batch of fry first! Either it won't work, or I'll have seahorses up ying and yang! You might as well help raise some!
    Owner/Administrator

~*

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last