[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Setting Frags

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default Setting Frags

Can anyone tell me the best way to glue down frags. I don't really want to move a lot of the big pieces of rock so I think I need to do it all underwater. I've just been setting them down but as Reptoreef said about his GBM clown my Skunk clown keeps moving them. My blue damsel (the starter fish in the tank now 4 years old) is always flinging substrate all over digging caves. He keeps covering some mushroom.

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

Mounting softies can be frustrating... For shrooms, put em in a shallow glass or wide mouth jar with some thing to mount to on the bottom and place some fine nylon mesh or bridal veil over the mouth and secure with a rubber band. For most leathers, IMOE... Drive a toothpic through the fleshiest part of the leather and put a small gob of GEL superglue it each end of the exposed toothpick and place the one end of the toothpick to be the mounted side into a hole in the LR suitable for a strong anchor and hold there until the superglue sets well(about 30 seconds)... this is all done, other than the application of the superglue to the toothpic, in the tank water. Small sps frags... I mount solely with gel superglue and larger pieces or LR, I use epoxy or even mix epoxy with gel superglue.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

Dakar passed on a great idea on mounting anything fleshy to me....
    I thought it was a little odd at first but it has worked really well for me.
    SEW THEM....
    Put a few stiches of thread into the fleshy part of the base...then tie the string to the rock. After a few days it will attach then you can cut the string.

GT

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

I mounted colt and xenia using the sandwich method. Place frag between two rocks and hold together a zip tie. Seems to work pretty. I would give it a few weeks before cutting the ziptie.

JustDavidP - Reefkeeper CR Member

I "sew" softies too, but I use dental floss. Some times I don't actually sew through the coral, but will tie a leather down to a rock with the floss. Once it attaches, I cut the floss off.

I use crazy glue gel for small stony frags. I use two part putty for large stony frags and to glue LR together.

D
    ><((((

CR Member

Looks like I have some options all are better than what I was doing --- putting them in a crack and hoping that they don't move. That resulted in me touching them to much I think.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I can get more artistic if things stay put.

Erik

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Besides sewing them down, we found for colts, kenyas and other softies like that, drilling a small hole about 1/4" around and 1/4" deep and just sticking the frag in the hole, move to a low/med flow area and it will attatch perfectly in a day or two. We've got around a dozen more Kenya's that I'll be setting up plugs for.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.