[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Suggestions for Fish List. All LPS Tank

Bookmark and Share
    Tom Toro - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tom

Default Suggestions for Fish List. All LPS Tank

The LPS are doing well, but it's boring in there. There are no fish yet. I have a 135g LPS dominated setup.

I don't want to double up so here's a list of the fish I have in the big tank:
    Tangs (hippo,naso,timini,blue eye,yellow)
    Lyretail anthias
    10 occys
    mandarin (psycho)
    blue damsel
    diadema psudo
    Melanaris wrasse

What types of fish would you guys put in this tank that are LPS safe, interesting, won't eat cleaner shrimp and non poisonous?
    240g Great Lakes Glass! ETSS1400/panworld250,LED 120wX4 AJM, LED,2x sunbrite ,Tunzex4/,200gal sump/mixed reef/Biopellets. Hammerhead return. UV 57w. Chiller.

135g down and given to a buddy. New pic after the wall is repaired.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I was totally going to suggest a lionfish or two but you had to put the non-poisonous clause in there...

How about a marine betta or a grouper? I'm thinking they wouldn't eat the cleaner shrimp...may be?

Tom

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

I like the idea of a grouper or two. Lots of gorgeous choices there. Angels would be nice too. Or maybe just a trophy fish - like a Japanese Dragon Eel?

First Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    I was totally going to suggest a lionfish or two but you had to put the non-poisonous clause in there...

How about a marine betta or a grouper? I'm thinking they wouldn't eat the cleaner shrimp...may be?

Tom
    Hey Tom,
    I was thinking about the Lion, seriously, but I always have my hands in there. The other two choices are awesome fish.

Quote Originally Posted by dlhirst View Post
    I like the idea of a grouper or two. Lots of gorgeous choices there. Angels would be nice too. Or maybe just a trophy fish - like a Japanese Dragon Eel?
    I just looked up that dragon eel. Wow, outstanding. I'd need a secure cover I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I wouldn't really suggest Angels unless they are Genicanthus sp. (Bellus, lamarck, melanospilos, etc.....) Anything else is a pretty good risk of picking/killing LPS, and the meatier the coral, the more the odds go up. As far as groupers go, they get to big for that tank, and are fairly fast growers, can't say I would suggest that either.

Go mostly smaller fish you can't beat a bunch of wrasses, anthias, chromis (like the blue reef chromis), and throw in a hand full of cardinals and firefish, along with a couple jawfish or sand dwelling gobies and you have a active colorful display that will definitely wow..... Toss in a nice looking tang, above mentioned angel or even 3 or so of these guys for a nice "centerpiece" type of large fish... golden.
    Hey Chris,
    My son was suggesting bartletts and blue reef too. I might go with that, although the anthias are going to need lots of feeding. I like your idea of a lot of small fish and maybe one tang as the centerpiece fish.

Thanks Guys!!
    Tom
    240g Great Lakes Glass! ETSS1400/panworld250,LED 120wX4 AJM, LED,2x sunbrite ,Tunzex4/,200gal sump/mixed reef/Biopellets. Hammerhead return. UV 57w. Chiller.

First Name
    Tom

Well, here's the list of animals I put in. I'm keeping a close eye on things for a cycle, but it's been mature for awhile now. I used everybody's suggestions, but mostly Chris'.

Canary Wrasse
    Solar Wrasse
    Blue Headed Wrasse
    Blue dot Jawfish
    3 x Regular firefish
    Algae Blennie
    2 x Cleaner shrimp
    6 x Royal Urchins
    2 x sand sifting stars
    5 x Trochus
    6 x peppermint shrimp
    Striped shrimp goby
    Tiger Pistol shrimp

Plus, my cool son bought me a 4" skeleton, (7" fully inflated) Aussie Elegance for Father's day. I'm happy with things for now, lol.

I also put eggcrate, covered in plastic screen over the whole top. There were already some jumpers before I could get it installed. Lowered the led's and turned them all the way up.

First Name
    Tom

I think I'm good for awhile. I want to see how they get along and then I'd like to maybe put a male bellus angel in there. Still not completely sold that they're reef safe especially since there's all the meaty lps hanging around.