[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

tail-spot blenny info

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Default tail-spot blenny info

Hi all,

My Scopas tang is starting to get too big for my tank and has also begun nipping at one of my Tridacna clams. So, it's time for it to find a new home. I got it for algae control (Bryopsis and Gelidiopsis mainly) knowing full well that it would not be a long-term resident. I'm thinking about replacing it with a tail-spot blenny for algae control. I think a few folks on here have them so I'm hoping you'll help answer a couple of questions and/or point me in the direction of some good articles on these guys. Specifically I'm wondering:

1. Are they effective algae eaters? Some sources I've found say yes others say kind of.
    2. What types of algae do they eat?
    3. Will they nip corals/clams?

Thanks,
    Tom

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    Hi all,

My Scopas tang is starting to get too big for my tank and has also begun nipping at one of my Tridacna clams. So, it's time for it to find a new home. I got it for algae control (Bryopsis and Gelidiopsis mainly) knowing full well that it would not be a long-term resident. I'm thinking about replacing it with a tail-spot blenny for algae control. I think a few folks on here have them so I'm hoping you'll help answer a couple of questions and/or point me in the direction of some good articles on these guys. Specifically I'm wondering:

1. Are they effective algae eaters? Some sources I've found say yes others say kind of.
    2. What types of algae do they eat?
    3. Will they nip corals/clams?

Thanks,
    Tom
    Most blennies will nip clams. So dont think you are any better off there.

demonclownfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Chatbox Menace

Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

my blenny nipped my clam SOMETIMES not too often and the clam was fine until i killed it... . they will eat glass algae, hair algae, and i think thats it. good tank fish that arent aggressive at all.

CR Member
    First Name
    Christy

My lawnmower blenny ONLY eats film algae off of the aquarium walls and rocks. He won't touch any filamentous algae! He is a lot of fun to watch though. Good luck!

First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by iyachtuxivm View Post
    Most blennies will nip clams. So dont think you are any better off there.
    Bummer to hear but thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by demonclownfish View Post
    my blenny nipped my clam SOMETIMES not too often and the clam was fine until i killed it... . they will eat glass algae, hair algae, and i think thats it. good tank fish that arent aggressive at all.
    Sorry to hear about your clam. But the blenny info sounds promising. From the start the tang has made motions like it was grazing on the mantle of the clam but never any sign of damage or reaction from the clam... until recently when I see what looks like damage to the edges of the mantle and the clam now reacts to the tangs nibbles. demon did the clam ever react to the nips (huh-huh) or show any sign of damage?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbutt View Post
    My lawnmower blenny ONLY eats film algae off of the aquarium walls and rocks. He won't touch any filamentous algae! He is a lot of fun to watch though. Good luck!
    GREAT NAME! and welcome to CR. Lawnmowers are a lot of fun to watch but my 50 gallon is not large enough to support one long-term. Otherwise one would certainly be on the list.

Thanks for the replies everyone! Let's keep em coming.

CR Member
    First Name
    Christy

I would say a 50 gallon is sufficient for ONE lawnmower blenny (aka lace blenny/jeweled rock blenny/skipper/algae blenny). I know the bigger the tank the better, but due to my own limitations (student/live with parents/etc), I only have a 20gallon tank. My lawnmower blenny has done fine for the past 1.5 months, when I originally got him to control a filamentous algae problem that I am still having... because he refuses to touch "graze". He isn't showing any signs of stress or anything either, despite only having 20 gallons to live in. He eats like a hog (leaves little lip prints all over the glass) and watches me whenever I am near the tank. This is the reason why I said he really only eats film algae. He "sucks" on the liverock that I have in the tank too... but his feeding only really obvious on the glass when he leaves behind lip marks in the algae film (it looks like little smooch prints!).
    Last edited by Fishbutt; 09-17-2010 at 10:04 PM.

CR Member
    First Name
    Christy

I was just doing a search for algae control for my specific tank because my only pest algae is Bryopsis and I found the following critters to be useful:
    Diadema urchins, Elysia Nudibranches, and even common pincushion urchins

Best of luck!

First Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbutt View Post
    I was just doing a search for algae control for my specific tank because my only pest algae is Bryopsis and I found the following critters to be useful:
    Diadema urchins, Elysia Nudibranches, and even common pincushion urchins

Best of luck!
    Thanks for the info. I've never been a fan of urchins and my understanding is that the nudis can't move very far without eating. So one may take care of a single patch of algae and starve before it finds another.

If Bryosis is your only problem algae you should search this forum for solutions... I think there is a method that uses elevated Magnesium.

CR Member
    First Name
    Christy

I've also read about the magnesium tip for Bryopsis. Thank you
    My problem would be lack of a powerful skimmer if I did the magnesium method. I have a CPR BakPak and in my opinion, this thing kind of sucks. This is the first saltwater tank I've ever had, and I can't afford a new good skimmer (like a reef octopus) and I haven't come across any good deals on any used ones. Thanks again for the tip.

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

My tailspot blenny has never even looked at a clam. He has never really had turf algae around but he will "lip" the glass for micro algae. IMO there is no way a tail spot would eat turf algae like a tang. Even if they ate it they are little guys so they wouldn't eat that much.

All of my tangs pick at the clam shells but I have never seen one actually tear up a mantle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last