[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

tail-spot blenny info

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbutt View Post
    I've also read about the magnesium tip for Bryopsis. Thank you
    My problem would be lack of a powerful skimmer if I did the magnesium method. I have a CPR BakPak and in my opinion, this thing kind of sucks. This is the first saltwater tank I've ever had, and I can't afford a new good skimmer (like a reef octopus) and I haven't come across any good deals on any used ones. Thanks again for the tip.
    Not to hijack Tom's thread, but I don't think the Mg method requires a skimmer. I'd just do a couple water changes during and after the bryopsis starts to die. As mine was dying, I was able to just siphon it right off the rocks.

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

I thought even tangs didn't eat bryopsis??

cg5071 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chris

My lawnmower would eat the filimentous stuff if I picked it first. Leaving him shorter stuff to graze on. He never harmed anything except he once was "grazing" on my red knobby starfish. I dont believe it was on purpose as that particular spot was where he would eat nightly and the starfish just happened to be there. I moved it out of the way and that was it.

He also would perch on stuff which can bug things but no real dammage unless he kept doing it. LOL my hairy mushrooms would try to close up on him and eat him. Of course they couldnt.

Support the non-profit Reef Stewardship Foundation with the iSearchiGive.com search engine, donate a penny with EVERY search. Find out more information by following this link to the RSF iSearchiGive.com search program.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by rmalone View Post
    My tailspot blenny has never even looked at a clam. He has never really had turf algae around but he will "lip" the glass for micro algae. IMO there is no way a tail spot would eat turf algae like a tang. Even if they ate it they are little guys so they wouldn't eat that much.

All of my tangs pick at the clam shells but I have never seen one actually tear up a mantle.
    Thanks for the input. I'm a bit concerned about the turf algae eating thing myself. Based on mouth morphology the blennies look like they'd be more similar to a kole tang in terms of what they eat (diatoms and "film" algae). But the little I've been able to find on tail-spots suggests that they eat some turf algae. At the moment I have very little turf algae (mainly due to the tang is suppose) so the blenny wouldn't need to decrease the amount in the tank only maintain the current levels.

So far the mantle is structurally intact but along the edges (where the tang nibbles) there are areas where the color is gone and they look suspiciously like tang bite marks. I'll get photo once the lights come on and post it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    Not to hijack Tom's thread, but I don't think the Mg method requires a skimmer. I'd just do a couple water changes during and after the bryopsis starts to die. As mine was dying, I was able to just siphon it right off the rocks.
    No worries about the hijack... just don't let it happen again ... jk.

I thought even tangs didn't eat bryopsis??
    Me too. I was having much more of an issue with Gelidiopsis, as in it was smothering zoanthids and growing EVERYWHERE. I got the tang to control that algae but it also cleaned out the Bryposis. I think I just got lucky. If I sell the tang I'll have to advertise it as a Byropsis eating machine

Tom

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

If the clam has some issues, make sure to pull it out of the tank and look very closely for pyram snails. They are about 2mm long (big ones) and very narrow and pointed.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

If the clam has some issues, make sure to pull it out of the tank and look very closely for pyram snails. They are about 2mm long (big ones) and very narrow and pointed.
    Good suggestion, but I've had the clam for many years and it is definitely pest-free. Except for being pestered by the tang.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2