[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Tang behavior

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Default Tang behavior

My Tomini tang has been in QT for a week now. He has shown no obvious sign of illness, has been eating well, and has been swimming nicely.

This morning when I peeked in the tank, I saw him laying on his side in his PVC, and his tail had turned dark (like it does when he's stressed). I immediately checked the water thinking there might have been an ammonia spike, but the water is perfect.

While I was waiting for hubby to get off the computer so I could come post here, the tang came out (with a white tail) swimming around like nothing had ever happened. For now, I guess I'll assume he was laying down for a nap?...

I will keep an eye on him, but I wanted to ask if there are any conditions/illnesses that I should be watching out for, things that might be more subtle and harder to spot than ich?

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

I would say all is good, but this is just based on the fact that I have seen many fish change color when they sleep
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

Thanks, Joe. I appreciate your observation!

Did a little searching. Was the tail black or blue possibly. These little fellas turn blue in the tail as they mature. Don't know if that helps but maby it'll save you a little stress later if you didn't already know.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

I would agree with Joe, when my hippo goes to sleep the black "swoop" down her side turns light grey.
    fulltankshot 1 - Tang behavior

My hippo is the same way her belly also gets very light blue!

Thanks for your extra research, Joe! Before I bought him, I had read about the adult color change and found a picture of what my little guy will look like when he grows up... I liked what I saw!

This morning his tail had darkened to the color of his body. He did this during acclimation (which I took him out of early because he looked SO upset) and when I do water changes in the QT. That's definitely my clue that he is an unhappy camper. I'll try to sneak up on him for the next few mornings and see if he does this color change when he sleeps.

I hope that is all it is. He really does seem healthy... I just wish he wasn't so terribly afraid of me. To observe him acting normally, I have to stand 15-20 feet away from the tank! :P

Sea~Horse~Whisperer - Reefkeeper CR Member

Lots of fish loose their "vibrant" colors when they sleep. It makes them less likely to be seen by predators when they are helpless (sleeping). My achilles tang used to scare the daylights out of me when I'd see him an icky grey color. He always colored up to normal when he woke up and the lights came on.

Also maby try flicking the lights on once about an hour after lights out. Make sure you know where he is first so he doesn't have time to lighten up before you see him.

IMO it was just sleeping.
    55 Gallon. One year old, and looking SUPER.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last