[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

They're Baaaaaaaack!

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member
    First Name
    Michelle
    Awards MBI Participant

Talking They're Baaaaaaaack!

They have been cleaning off the back wall most of the day (kissing and pecking at the wall)
    I went in to feed them dinner...and the eggs were there!
    Whoo hoo!
    Still researching though, may have to find a little nemo chastity belt until I can get this down pat! lol
    Give me a moment to get a better pic...but here is what I got so far.
    (tank is NOT 100% clear because I have not done anything to it this week to allow the clowns time to "do the do" , so don't mind the glass )

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MZ5b3OEIBI"]YouTube- clown eggs 8 13 2010.3g2[/ame]

(hopefuly the video works well.)
    Am still reading and researching the care on raising these little guys....keep fingers crossed please?

fishtal - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tal
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Cool! Once they get into a cycle they'll usually spawn about every 14 days or so. There is no way I can keep up with all of my pairs these days, lol.
    Save a fish, Breed your own!
    www.fishtalpropagations.com

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Do they spawn like that (14 days) in the wild? Don't see how it can be good for their health. Do you supplement their diets?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

CR Member
    First Name
    Michelle
    Awards MBI Participant

ok- sorry...trying to download some better pics..... I am wanting to possibly do a "diary" or an online journal, if that makes sense? To log what is going on, and have pics/videos of each day so I can ask questions for that exact situation....let's see if it will work?

Jamie: I am still a newbie on this.... as of right now I am feeding brine, mixed with a itty bitty bit of flake and pellet..... a few times a day. I am just getting into the "putting the plan into action" (but the clowns beat me to it!) of what I have been reading, and will be adding to their diet...and feeding about 4 times a day. I am going with this as there is much success going on over @ Fishtal's!
    http://fishtalpropagations.com/FoodRecipes.aspx

The ONLY problem I have at this moment......I was getting some phyto from a club member... but can't reach him- will keep trying as I am not sure who else has any. I was going to order it online and start culturing, but the fishies got frisky and ....well here I am - no baby food (phyto/rotifers).
    It won't be here and be ready in time.
    So..... I will send out a facebook message to see if he is online...or if anyone else is willing to share to get me going

First Name
    Tal

Chelle,

Look here for info on posting a journal: Submitting Journals to Obtain MBI Points The Marine Breeding Initiative is a great way to document your work and provide information to future breeders.

As far as phyto goes, I use some live but more of the Instant Algae from Reed Mariculture. I'm currently trying their new Roti-Grow product for rotifer culturing and their Roti-Green for greenwater on my next batch. You can find my thoughts on the differences between using live and non-live phyto on my site.

I just noticed that you are in FL. If you were closer I'd give you some starter cultures of rotifers and phyto. If you can't find a local hobbyist, try Florida Aqua Farms. They are great people and have what you need.

CR Member
    First Name
    Michelle
    Awards MBI Participant

Still haven't gotten to every post/forum here...so thank you in advance for that link, I will head over there now. Have been uploading a new video...

First Name
    Tal

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Do they spawn like that (14 days) in the wild? Don't see how it can be good for their health. Do you supplement their diets?
    I did a little reading about spawning behavior in the wild and there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus. Some say that lunar cycles, tidal shifts and water temps play a role, but nothing conclusive.

I do nothing to induce spawning other than providing plentiful food/nutrition. Keep in mind that many fishes/species spawn every night in the wild. Perpetuating the species is a prime objective.

Survival rates in the wild are very low. If spawning was a rare event, the species would fail.

There is a lot more to it, but that's a simple answer.

CR Member
    First Name
    Michelle
    Awards MBI Participant

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrzmP_2b8uw"]YouTube- Clownfish 8/13/2010 Day 1[/ame]

Youtube is such a dork...they give you the option of buying itunes, but you can't use the song. I bought it anyway, so I am keeping my video as Marvin Gaye... just goes so well with the video :D
    I will be making a dvd of the entire journal anyway, so I will change the music up here and there...no biggie.