[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Lost my gold marron clown

Bookmark and Share
    bigbill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill
    Awards Grow Out King - 2011 Grow Out Contest Photo of the Month MBI Participant

Default Lost my gold marron clown

well as some of u no i made a big misstake on tues i put to much zooplaton in my tank witch caused every body to all most die all but my GMC made it and the only reason i lost him is in his stuggle to live he fell in to my sebae nem and was badley stung. so neadless to say i got rid of the nem cant have it takeing out fish. will be looking to replace him but not any time soon kinda sucks its my frist lost fish and it was my fault !

p.s. ty to all of u who where on to help me save everything u all are the best
    Last edited by bigbill; 08-12-2010 at 02:28 PM.
    I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    Steve Irwin
    mbisite.org/mbi_sig.aspx?u=bigbill&img=2

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Always a sad day when ya loose your first fish....glad to heaar everything else pulled through!

bigbill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill
    Awards Grow Out King - 2011 Grow Out Contest Photo of the Month MBI Participant

better pics

CR Member

Sorry to hear about your fish. Just curious though how a Sebae Nem stung a clownfish? Don't they swim in them freely usually?
    Last edited by tommyb; 08-13-2010 at 07:59 AM.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

^ pretty sure they need to "introduce themselves" to a nem before they can handle their sting.

If I recall right- they quickly develop an imunity of sorts to the stings with some time and a few trys, but not imediate.

CableGuy - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Adam

My rents live in Warren and thats where I grew up. I now live in SCS so if you ever need help, let me know!

taziam10797 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dawnna
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

It is always hard to lose fish, good luck starting back up

adalius - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    ^ pretty sure they need to "introduce themselves" to a nem before they can handle their sting.

If I recall right- they quickly develop an imunity of sorts to the stings with some time and a few trys, but not imediate.
    If I remember reading right, when they bump into it very lightly their mucus picks up some of the nemacysts (stinging cells) and then their body starts producing mucus with specific cells to block that particular variant of nemacyst.

There is some other study that says their mucus is sugar based rather than protein based so the nem doesn't think it's food brushing up against it and therefore the nemacysts don't "fire", but I'm not sure I buy that theory seeing as how different breeds are immune to different types of anemones, in addition to only hosting in certain types. If nems didn't fire on sugar at all, they should be immediately safe in any nem, which they aren't.

But it defintely is something about their mucus, as they've done tests by removing the mucus coating and then putting the clownfish back in the anemone and it died right away.

shovelhead91701 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Shawn

That seems like kind of a cruel experiment..... Kinda like taking away Superman's ability to fly when he is at 30,000 ft. up!
    The days are long and the work is difficult but every night I sleep as a man who has achieved his goals.