[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Ultimate seahorse Tank

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Sea~Horse~Whisperer - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Ultimate seahorse Tank

This thread will cover the build of my XX tall seahorse tank. It was listed as a 75g XTall. When I do the tank calculations it's actually 85 gallons.

The tank is 36 inches tall. 15 inches wide. 36 inches Long. It is the tallest tank I could find without having one custom built. I do not think I will have the tank wet before spring since money is tight and we have to finish remodeling my office first. I will update as often as I can, but not much to post untill the office is finished. I have too many things going on right now so it will be a slow process.

Plans:

Tank

Measurements are already listed.
    Not drilled because I am a chicken and the glass is over 1/2 inch thick. I want it drilled sooooooo bad, but did I mention I'm a chicken, lol???

Since I'm a chicken I will be using a hang on OF box on one end of the tank. ( I hate hang on OF's but I insist on having a sump so that's my only option)
    I haven't decided if I want to go with a 6" DSB or 1" shallow. (I'm height greedy and want all 36" for the ponies to do their mating dance in. )

Sump

55g standard 48" tank. Sump will be split into 3 sections divided with baffles.
    Mag 12 return pump.
    10 lbs. reef rubble 6" sandbed from current seahorse tank.

Chiller

1/3 hp inline w/ mag 7 pump

Skimmer

ASM G3

Lights

tank- 8x39w T5 retro. (3) 10k (3) actinic (2) 65k for macros
    Refugium- 4x8w T5's

That's the plans for now. I'm sure I will add more as I go along. Here are some pics of the plans that I posted in another thread.

The wall unit is 84" tall 60" long and 24" wide. We "may" increase the length from 60" to 72". Not sure yet. I would like the extra storage room in the one end where the shelves will be. With all of my regular Seahorse stuff PLUS all of my fry stuff....I have lots of "stuff" to hide.

What I have already:

Tank
    sand Nature's Ocean samoa Pink (very very pink sand....I love it)
    skimmer
    Chiller
    Mag 7 for chiller
    Sump reef rubble rock

I'm looking for a cheap 55g for the sump. I hope to find one on the cheap side. It doesn't matter if it's scratched since it's a sump. If anyone in WI has one let me know.

I was rereading the seahorse forum today and I have decided that I need a 12 step seahorse program.

Step 1. Admit you have a problem

ok. I have a problem.....I want more seahorses and don't have enough $$. Hmmm and they say admitting you have a problem is the hardest part. That wasn't so hard. :p :seahorse: :YEAH:

Marc

Visit Melev's Reef

I just ordered the Tonga branch rock for this tank. It will be here on Friday. Geesh the branch rock is expensive. But that's what I wanted and I didn't want to have all of the branch rock DIY. I needed some that was live and NOT from any of my other tanks. I'll keep the LR that's in the 75g now for another project

I got tired of waiting for my husband to come home and help with the remodeling so I did it myself. Being 5' 1 and 105 lbs. I do NOT reccomend hanging drywall by yourself. I did and now I hurt all over. Why do the sheets of drywall have to be 8ft tall and heavy to boot? Ok...they are up. Then I had to tape and Mud and sand. Another unpleasant experience. I HATE the mess of sanding drywall mud. (wear a mask or you will choke on the dust) I finally got that done and sealed and primed the walls. Then I sponge painted the entire room. Next came the waines coating. That is done as well. All I have left to do is the crownmolding, trim work, and flooring. They ought to be a breeze after the stuff I already did

I sent pics to my hubby and he can't believe I did it all myself, lol. He loves it so far. Tomorrow I will be heading to the basement to add 2 floor jacks to support the weight of the new tank, sump, and wall unit. I can not finish the trim untill the lumber yard get more in, so that is on hold. The crownmolding should be here by the weekend. (I hope)

I know my husband and I don't know if I want to wait for him to build the wall unit. It could take months before he starts it. (he's an over the road truck driver and only home a few days a month) I thought about building it myself but a girl's got to admit when she's "in over her head" and building stands and wall units are a "not a good idea" idea. I "May" just go ahead and set the tank up as is and move it later. I can run it with a canister filter and some small powerheads.

We can then build the wall unit later. All I would have to do is remove the seahorses to a 5g bucket, move the rock to a brute can, empty the water to 2- 45g brute cans and lift the tank to it's new stand. Then put everything back. When I add the extra sw to fill the sump it will be like a mini water change. There won't be any cycle since I won't be disturbing the sand (1 inch) and everything will be back in the tank within an hour. Same rock, same tank,same water, same bioload, same everything.

I want the seahorses out of the too short 75g. asap. I watched 2 pairs try all today and yesterday to make egg transfers without ever being able to complete them. The females are so fat with eggs that I feel sorry for them. I'm sure if they don't complete the transfers by tomorrow they will dump the eggs. A few months ago they were smaller and could complete the transfers easier. They have gone thru a huge growth spurt and they are HUGE!! My males are monsters. No less then 6 inches not including full tail. They are at least 2" across the chest. With only 16" of actual water / swimming height in the 75g.....Nowhere near enough room. It's not impossible, just very difficult.

Well that's enough updates / rambeling for 1 post. I will update as things get done and decisions are made.

Angie
    Seahorse Slave!!!

Default picture

Here's a pic of the room so far. It's not done, but it's getting there.
    Seahorse Slave!!!

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

looking good
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

Floor jacks are in and level. I just got my tracking number for the live rock.
    One of the females dumped her eggs on the sand of the 75g. She looks so sad, Like a scolded puppy. Poor baby, it's not her fault. A taller tank is comming. As fast as I can get it set up anyways.

Angie
    Seahorse Slave!!!

Default View from my desk

I may never leave my office again, lol. This is the view from my desk. It's a good thing I work 8-10 hrs a day on my computer. I added 25 lbs. of Live tonga branch rock from Marine depot Live. I was somewhat disappointed that all of the pieces of branch rock were in the 5" range. There are a few larger pieces but not many. I have not aquascaped any of it. I just gave it a rinse in SW and pulled off the large chunks of sponges,macros, and stuff. Then I added it to the tank. There is a 1.5-2 inch sand bed in the tank. There will be a DSB in the sump with lots of LR in there. It is cycling now.
    Remember....this tank is 36" tall. I can't wait to see the seahorses in it. I will be adding macros and the new lighting, just not for awhile. I only turn the light on for an hour or two a doay. It's not needed during the cycle.

Angie
    Seahorse Slave!!!

here are the numbers from the cycle so far. I need to raise the Ph since it is dropping lower every time I test.

1/18/08 alk 300 nitrate 20 ph 8.4 nitrite 0 ammonia 0.25
    1/22/08 alk 300 nitrate 20 ph 8.2 nitrite 3.0 ammonia 2.0
    1/28/08 alk 300 nitrate 200 ph 8.0 nitrite 10 ammonia 0.50
    Seahorse Slave!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last