[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Undead (Zombie) Clownfish

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Default Undead (Zombie) Clownfish

I have the world's worst luck when it comes to clownfish. I got a new pair at the swap on Sunday. I spent hours after I got home removing other fish and anemones that I were a problem in the past. Today I came home and found one of them found the gap in the front between the mesh top and the tank rim. She was on the floor and about half dried out. As I was looking at her under the reef lights I noticed a slight twitch. So I put her in the water and coaxed her back and forth in my hand for about 20 minutes when she started swimming a bit! After an hour or so, the odds seemed to be tipping in her favor. Now she seems to be swimming pretty well and even giving a little chase to the smaller (male).

14F5DAFB 4D75 4437 ACC5 F6C844A459D1 8911 000009AF9A75BC7D zpscd4d708c - Undead (Zombie) Clownfish

(The stripes were already squiggly before the incident.) But I just noticed under the leds that her right eye seems to be bulged a bit and has a haze to it. My guess is that eye is goner. This was likely the side facing up and it dried out or possibly got injured in the jump. The floor is concrete and the tank 3.5 to 4 feet to the floor from the rim.

I spent the past couple hours fixing the issues that led to the gap. So now I am pretty sure there isn't any place that they can get through.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I'm glad to hear she survived... most fish don't come back from that type of excursion.

Tom

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Wow what an experience for you both! Hope she makes it Jim! Gooo Lefteye!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

woods4542000 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    mike

Jim you definitely have bad luck with clowns lol ! Nice to hear its hanging in there!

dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

my wrasse had a bulged very cloudy eye, made sure it got lots of food during this time, as it was super skiddish. anyways 2-3 weeks later it was back t normal. it seemed that there was no improvement for the longest time them in the final few days the changes were significant. hopefully your clown will recover as well.

taziam10797 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dawnna
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

Good Luck, sounds like you got one lucky fish!!

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

One thing that does concern me is they pair was just starting to eat after their long journey from Illinois, to Madison, WI, and then to Lansing. While they are (were) very healthy I would feel more comfortable if it had a nice fat belly and was already taking food in my system. I tried to feed it some reef stew last night and it didn't go for any.

The male did eat a little which was his first food in my reef.

I know this sounds strange, but as I was holding the female trying to coax her back to life, there were a couple times the male swam right into my hand and rubbed up against the female. As if to see what was going on or maybe even help...in fact, her condition seemed to improve drastically after the first time the male was in my hand with her.

Jamesr - Reefkeeper Moderator

How is she doing?

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

All is well! It looks like her eye went back to normal and she's back to bossing her new bf around.
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

woods4542000 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    mike

Awesome!! Maybe your clownfish luck is turning around!
    Last edited by woods4542000; 02-10-2013 at 11:26 AM. Reason: wrong punctuation

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last