[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Unexplained deaths

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last

I am trying to upload a pic of my tang-- I guess the pic looks kind of funny-- I assure you that he has no spots-- The glass unfortunately is very spotty--

Geronimo-- GBM clown-- who is still alive-pic taken today
    Michigan-- tang who didn't make it-- pic taken on the 8th of this month

In these pics you can see how the anemone's are loosely attached or unattached-- I don't know if this has anything to do with my problem or not-- but they are usually planted and they don't usually move around-- my deep sea yellow was out until the anemone kind of moved over by it--

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

Low O2, high CO2, Chemical toxins from a critter... have any critters come up missing(nudibrach, sea cuke, sea apple, etc)? My flame angel decided that my apple looked yummy... just once though. Raise O2 with a refugium and reverse day light, increased water movement(aggitating the surface for gas exchange), or even a ozone addition. IMO, never leave the skimmer off more than 2 hours when feeding the corals... not that it's completely harmless if all's well, but if there's a glitch sometime during the time away, it's better buffered or controlled by the skimmer.

Repto
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Like I said I wouldn't suspect the oysters... that seems unlikely, don't toss it just yet.

On the other hand, I see the Image Resizer is working Thanks for testing it for me.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

The resizer is excellent and easy to use-- The only nudibranch I had got sucked into an intake valve awhile back-- I have since sponged all intakes off-- I have two cleaner clams that are somewhere under the sand-- Here is a pick of Pink Lady my Midas Blenny a few days ago and a pic of her today-- I am having trouble getting to her b/c she is behind the tank in the rocks--

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

I haven't had much to offer you on your tragedy here because my husband has been pretty much saying everything that I've been saying over here. We feel horrible for you. I wonder about the elegance coral, but generally the fish are pretty resilient to what the corals give off. My heart is just breaking for you when I look at the beautiful fish you lost. This is a real freaky incident. Everything else is hanging on ok now? I wonder if when you brought in the new long tentacle plate coral if some sort of "bug" hitched a ride in and infected your tank. If that's the case there's no telling what made your fish die so quickly. Do what you would do normally in a case like this. Water changes of course are going to be important. Maybe even a UV Sterilizer if you have access to one. Even if you can borrow one from someone for awhile and keep it inline for maybe 2-3 months to hopefully insure that any parasites that may have come in will be killed without dosing the tank with chemicals. Especially since you have no idea what your trying to get rid of at this point. The UV sterilizer certainly won't hurt anything in the mean time.
    About picture resizing....anytime you need something sized, cropped or edited, please feel free to send it to me. I'd be happy to help you out anytime!
    Again, I'm so sorry about you fish. I hope things turn around for the better very soon! ...........Angel
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

What effects do UV sterilizer's have on the "good bacteria" in the tank? Everything else looks fine as of now-- I hope nothing happens over night-- Tomorrow I will take a picture of my whole tank-- Thanks for your responses--

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

UV sterilizers shouldn't have any real direct effects on the bacteria... more so the single cell algae, plankton, disease, etc.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

We've got an experiment of sorts with UV running now (bad a big ich scare, that so far looks to have been either just a scare or it nuked them buggers right away) but have a 30w UV running at around 200gph now for the past 3-4 weeks.... so far no negative results to report. Though I can say it does nothing for combating cyanobacteria nor algae, almost surprised there.

I want to give it a few more months yet to get some more conclusive results/effects either for good or bad.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last