[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Upside down Anthias?

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default Upside down Anthias?

When I brought my Bartlett's Anthias home on Friday night, one disappeared for the day, the other two were instantly swimming around in the current with my clownfish like they were all one happy school.

Saturday, all three were out, and swimming around contentedly every time I went over by the tank.

Today? Only two were swimming around. I noticed the third was perched in an overhang, and he was upside down. The cleaner shrimp went over to him and cleaned out his mouth, then the Anthias seemed to get annoyed, and swam out in the current with the other three for a few minutes, then was gone again. And, again, upside down in the cave.

He swims just fine -- when he wants to. And he's presently hiding again in the cave, but now he's right side up.

I know they're shy fish, so I wasn't too concerned that he went hiding the first night; but is hanging upside down in caves normal behavior? I've never seen a fish do this before. I haven't noticed any signs of illness on him, and I've seen fish with broken/punctured swim bladders before and he's not behaving like that. He's otherwise eating, and swimming well, and I'm guessing he's just taking some time to adapt to the aquarium, but I'd like some confirmation.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I'm guessing it is not a Bartletts. Sounds like a Randalls.

BTW- If you don't mind me asking, where did you get it?

CR Member

I just double-checked the image online for Randalls; it's certainly a Bartletts. I got it at Reef Paradise. Fish arrived at the store on Thursday, and I came in Friday evening and picked them up. Yellow on the top half, light/metallic purple underside.

As I said, the two are just fine, and happy as clams with my clownfish.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Andy knows his fish, so you're probably right.

CR Member

Well, I haven't seen them do it again, since that second day.

As a matter of fact, I haven't seen all three out at the same time, either. Only see 1 now, and the 2nd or 3rd didn't come out at feeding time. Hope they're just acclimating, and not dead. I figure they're hiding in the rockwork somewhere. Ah, the joys of reefing.

CR Member

Well, I've only seen one now for the last 2 days, and can't even see the one that was hiding anymore either, the same time period. Checked the floor, no jumpers. I wonder if stress didn't just kill them and they died, and crabs/snails ate them up?

No sign of them at all; not even when feeding, anymore.

Severely bummed.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Sorry to hear that.

CR Member

My overflow box is pretty small (from glass-holes.com), and I am presently using filter socks, and they aren't/haven't been in the filter socks. I wonder if they didn't go into the rocks and get 'stuck' inside, possibly, and couldn't get out? I'm still holding out hope they show up, but am losing faith that will happen as the days go by. I know they like to eat, often.

Will the one be okay by himself? Or if a few more days pass and none of the others show back up, should I consider getting him another one or two friends again? They're really a gorgeous fish, but I know they're shy too. My guess is too many different tanks in too short of a time might've done them in?
    Last edited by Danroth; 02-14-2013 at 08:46 PM. Reason: fix

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

One will be fine.