[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Water Changes after curing LR

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    dsfdbutterfly - Reefkeeper Registered User

Default Water Changes after curing LR

Ok, my LR has been in the tank now for a week 1/2. My LFS said it had a week left in it's curing process. The green is really starting to show and I have some red color on one rock. My question is how soon should I do a water change and when I do this change should I clean up what fell off the rocks or leave that in the bottom of the tank? I'm dumping my skimmer out every two days also. Is this normal production? Should it be more or less than this? It's a 30 gal tank and the skimmer is a Rimmora hang on. My levels are beginning to fall now and I would like some opinions on the best clean up crew for my size tank. What should I concentrate on getting and what will do the best job of keeping things balanced?

Thanks, Angie
    When you make a mistake look for the lesson to be learned and try not to repeat it.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

keep an eye on your parameters, you will see a spike in ammonia and then it will start to decrease. and then your nitrites will spike and decrese. when your ammonia is high I would do a 5 gallon water change, and when you see algae starting to grow on the substrate and glass I would add a clean up crew. I would add some snails and hermits. astrea snails, turbos, cerith, are good snails and blue leg hermits work well too
    fulltankshot 1 - Water Changes after curing LR

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Grapphix22's method is fine,acually its alot quicker than the one i do.I prefer to cure my liverock in a tank that's not being lighted.during this curing proces,its critical to have as much current in the tank blasting the rocks as posible.When the ammonia levels drop,then the nitrites drop,that is when i like to do a large waterchange.Your Nitrate levels will start to climb now as your nitrification cycle has kicked in.This is when i turn my lights back on and add my cleanup crew.For a tank of your size(30gal),I'd start with 10 astreas,15 ceriths,and 2 turbo snails.If you can get your hands on a long-spined urchin(Diadema sp. only),then you have found yourself the best algae grazer i've ever used in a reef tank.Many prefer to use hermits as part of their cleanup crew,i don't care for them.Hermits are not true herbivores,they're omnivores.Although they will pick at some of the green turf type algaes,they also will prey on your snails IME.THey also prey on pods.inverts that often live in these "algae turfs".I am a heavy feeder,feeding my LPS corals at least every other day,I've found hermits trying to steal food from my corals as well.
    If it were me,I'd now let the tank mature for 3 months without adding fish.These 3 months will allow the anaerobic bacteria that provide the de-nitrificaction/nitrate processing in the tank to establish.You can/should IMO start adding corals as soon as all your params are in check.Many adivise only adding 1 every week or 2.I prefer to stock corals at the rate of 3 a week right after the end of the cycle(soft corals only,with LPS i wait until the tanks at least 10weeks old).Corals are excellent at uptaking nutrients out of the water so they compete with the nuissance algae that often plagues new tanks.Anyways,best of luck with your tank,I look forward to see its progress.

I have noticed that the crabs I put in my fish only tank ate my three snails. One even stole the shell afterwards. Since my Ammonia levels have dropped and my Nitrite levels are starting to come down I want to be ready. I still don't know if I should clean the sand with my water change? Also the urchin mentioned, I was looking at the blue tuxedo urchin is the long spine easier or a better choice? I've been reading alot of books but still unsure what soft corals to go with or what LPS. I guess it's all just a personnal choice but being a beginner at the whole reef thing I don't want to get in over my head.

Angie
    When you make a mistake look for the lesson to be learned and try not to repeat it.

Cleaning the sand is usually not something most reefers do.Especially if you have a fine grained deepsandbed.If you have a coarse grained shallow sand bed then you can vaccum the sandbed.However,its best to let the critters in the sandbed populate for 5-6 months before/if you decide to do it.
    As for the urchins,the tuxedo is OK but it doesn't compare to the long-spined(Diadema sp.)Urchins when it comes to grazing algae.
    For coral selection,that really depends on you.IMO,you should research the different corals you like and the different biotopes(lagoon,reef flat,etc..) they are found in.Mixing corals from different biotopes can lead to problems sometimes.There really isn't any beginner coral,most of the corals i keep are very hardy and anyone can be successful keeping them.I can tell you what corals are difficult,Acropora spp.,most of your SPS with the exception of Montipora sp,and a few LPS like Merulina and Trachyphyllia(open brain).The main thing you should do in the beginning is just monitor/practice keeping you water parameters (ph,alkalinity,salinity,calcium) steady.The maturing phase of your tank is the idea time to learn how.Once you can keep those things steady,you'll be succesful keeping corals.Most beginners prefer soft corals,then they start wanting to keep stoney corals like LPS.Mixed reefs are nice but they can lead to compatibility issues with certain soft corals and LPS.If your gonna keep a mixed reef,I would advise you not to keep Leather(Sarcophyton,Lobophytum) corals or Cabbage(Sinularia) corals.

Thanks so much for your advice. It's given me somewhere to go from here. My levels have peaked and are on their way down now. I will leave the sand alone to give it a kick start of bacteria. Taking pictures and monitoring my progress. Would love to enter the contest and possibly win one of those great prizes being offered. I wasn't planning on adding any fish until 6-10 months. I'm hoping this will give enough time to start everything off and give a good base. My goal is to have a mated clown pair, firefly and a mandarin. I know it's not good advice but I hope after some time to own a mandarin fish. Really my biggest reason for getting into a reef tank. I've been doing the fish only thing with success and hope that if I take my time I will have success with this fish.

Angie

ReefNeck - Reefkeeper Registered User

While not absolutely necessary a Refugium would greatly increase your chances at keeping a mandarinfish alive for many years. The main if not only food source is Copepods and these copepods need a place without predators to reproduce. A Refugium is that place. Once you have an established refugium you can produce an unlimited supply of pods for your mandarin to eat and keep him/her healthy.

Just a little FYI.

Angie,I was succesful keeping a mandarin in my old 30gal reef for 2 years.When i decided(mistake)to move him to another tank i had,he died shortly after.BTW,your fish selection was the exact same as what i had in my old 30gal reef.A pair of clowns and a mandarin.

I have been in the process of getting my fuge set up. I will have a DSB of 3" and about 4 lbs of live rock. I'm not sure the best filter material (algea) I am going with yet but that will all fall in place soon. The hardest part was getting everything connected and not overflowing anything. I do plan on having a good base before I add my mandarin and I hope that my planning beforehand will lead to him having a happy and health life in my hands. I've read so much about them and the care. Also about how people are upset that stores sell them to the unexperienced but how do you judge that? I just hope I'm jumping in with knowledge on my side and will have success instead of failure. BTW, did your fish all get along and what other tank mates did you go with? Soft corals of what types I mean. Having some trouble deciding although I like the Pulsing Xenia (? I think that's how you spell it).

Angie

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Sounds like you are on the right path... research before reaching for the wallet will always save you some $$$ and broken heart(s) in the end.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last