[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

What do y'all think? Opinions Please?!?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Sea~Horse~Whisperer - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default What do y'all think? Opinions Please?!?

What does everyone think about a/my 75G Seahorse tank? A few people have told me it's too BIG for 4 H. Erectus. What do you think? Is it really? I have been told that feeding may be an issue since it has a lot of room to float around in and the seahorses will not be able chase it all down before it gets lost in the rock, macros, and sandbed.

I plan to train the new seahorses (when I get them) to a feeding station so I thought that would be ok. There is a chance they won't take to the feeding station. Not all do. Anyone else think I'm making a mistake with such a large tank for 4 little seahorses? If everyone tends to agree the 75G is too big, I will / can transfer everything from my 65G reef tank (36x18x25) to the 75G (48x18x21) and use the 65G for the seahorses. The 65G is 12" shorter in length, but taller then the 75G.

There is a plus to the transfer option. The 65G is RR and already has a good established sump, skimmer, and a mag7 return pump. It also has tons of pods and about 60# of coraline covered LR. I would then add the new LR I just ordered to the 75G for the "New reef".

Please let me know what y'all think before it is too late to make the switch.

Angie

dsfdbutterfly - Reefkeeper Registered User

I've never kept seahorses so this isn't so much a technical response. You kind of seem to have already talked up the 65 in it's current state. It seems established and may take some switching but ready for you to get started. However, is 10 gals. going to make a huge difference if you want to use the 75 for your set up? Since I don't raise seahorses I may be overlooking something but in other issues I've never seen 10 gals make that much of a difference.

From your response it sounds like you have the 65 set up almost to a point in which you could begin to use it. If your stressed about the extra 10 then I say go with the 65. It's waiting for you.

Angie
    When you make a mistake look for the lesson to be learned and try not to repeat it.

The length is 12" shorter and the seahorses wouldn't have as much area to cover trying to catch the floating mysis if they refuse to eat out of a feeding station. Plus it is taller which is good for the seahorses.
    I don't need to hurry. I have to wait for the cycle to complete no matter what I decide to do. I couldn't add the contents of the 65G to the 75G untill it completely cycles. I have months to figure it all out.

I suppose the negatives to the switch, are:

1. I like the length of the 75G for the "macro forest". Rocks the left 1/3 of the tank and macros middle to right side.

2. I spent almost $300.00 on this tank with the intensions of making it the seahorse tank of tanks.

3. I could add more pairs of seahorses later and not have to worry about over crowding. ( I know me...always plan for more than I planned for when I planned it to begin with)

4. (The big one) I have the 75G all set up in my new office across from where my desk will be. I spend 10-14 hours a day in there. The 65G is in the Living Room where I spend about 3 hrs. a week, lol. I would have to move the 65G into the office and the 75 out to the livingroom. NOT FUN. Did I mention that would not be fun tearing down 2 tanks and moving them? Especially at the same time.......I'm cringeing just thinking about it.

Thanks for the reply. Keep them comming.
    Angie

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

I would go with the 75. It is what you have been thinking and planning. The idea that a tank is "to big" seems just crazy to me. These things come from the ocean for crying out load. It seems to that if you had a system big enough,that seahorses could supplement if not feed solely off of the pods in the tank. I am not sure that a 75 gallon tank is big enough to do that but sure lends itself to it better then a 65. I have a 75 and it really is not that big when you get filled up. From what I have read in the forums, it sounds like seahorses are pretty smart critters. Go with you gut and stick with the 75 IMO.

yeah....thanks..I really do want to keep the 75G as the seahorse tank. I just want to make sure I'm making the right decision for the seahorses, and not my preference. I don't have to live in it after all. I do have 1 more option. If the 75G just seems too big, I can always add a tank divider and section off a portion of the tank. If the divider has holes drilled in it, it shouldn't cause any problems with water circulation. The pods could reproduce in the sectioned off area without the seahorses depleating them. That's a big bonus I didn't think of earlier.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Angie

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

Are you going to run a sump? If so, just include a fuge and you have a pod breeding zone. Another thing you can do is make pod piles. Fill a green strawberry basket full of LR rubble. Plop in your tank. Excellent little pod hide aways. They can be transplanted between tanks once in awhile to replenush depleted pod populations.

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

you COULD always add more ponies, right ?? if so ... add more when $$$ permits .

JustDavidP - Reefkeeper CR Member

My take... Get a tank divider and make 1/3 of the 75G a in tank refugium. This way, you can make a smaller living room for the ponies but it is expandable later on. I've done this with grow out tanks for my fry. Yes, a much smaller scale, but it could be done with a 75G. If you get more ponies, you can just remove the divider and re-arrange the tank.

D
    ><((((

seahorsedreams - Reefkeeper Registered User

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 75 in regards to it being too big. You just need a feeding dish is all. Here's a pic of mine.

feedingdish - What do y'all think?  Opinions Please?!?

You know those tank decorations that have the whale looking like it's coming through the tank glass that is held in place by magnets? That's the idea behind my feeder. There's a magnet covered by epoxy and on the structure itself and then magnets on the outside suspending it. It's just a clam shell wityh some dead coral hitches secured to it. Some peeps just lay a container on the sand and what not, but I'm not a big fan of that method because of bristleworms. They can't get in your dish easily if it's half way up the tank panel :-) Horses have accidently snicked BWs and died as a result of snout injury.

Renee

JustDavidP - Reefkeeper CR Member

That's a great rig!! It'd also help keep the snails and hermit crabs from raiding before the ponies got their fill.

Kudos! Yeah.. Not Kuda

D
    ><((((

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last