[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

what to feed a finicky PJ cardinal

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Default what to feed a finicky PJ cardinal

Hi all,

I have an old PJ cardinal that only likes a few foods... really just one. While he/she has lived a long time on this self imposed diet, I feel kind of guilty that it only eats mysis. I have tried mussels, squid, cyclopeeze, several of the SF bay brand blends and numerous pelleted and flake foods to no avail. It will eat frozen and live brine shrimp but I stopped feeding frozen because its mostly water, however, live brine is an occasional treat.

Another stipulation is I really don't like frozen foods that are blended too small. Some of the SF blends just turn into a cloud of tiny particles that none of the fish eat. Then I feel like all I'm doing is adding filter feeder food and/or adding phosphates and other nutrient into the tank.

I realize its likely catching and eating amphipods at night so may be no additional variety is needed but I'd still like to vary the food I feed it. So, what would you suggest I try?

Oh, and I do enrich the mysis with Zoecon and/or garlic.

Thanks,
    Tom

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Doesnt eat cyclopeeze???

Maybe its living off your wildlife (pods) in your tank- and wont accept anything other than mysis.

Give it a while- and keep on trying. It will take somthing eventually. Try only feeding just before lights out, or after lights out w/ moonlights.

First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Thanks for the response SirP. No go on the cyclopeeze. I think because they're so small the PJ ignores them. Although the latest frozen stick seems to have a lot more clear copepods and far fewer red/orange ones. May be there's not enough nutrition or flavor in this batch. Come to think of it all of the fish are less into this pack of cyclopeeze... interesting.

Wait a while, huh? I've had the PJ for 9 or ten years!

I like the night/dusk feeding idea. I'll have to give that a try tonight.

I know this isn't an emergency and the fish isn't starving. In fact, its always been fairly skinny so may be I'm wasting my time trying other foods. But I'd still like to try. What are other peoples' PJs eating?

Thanks,
    Tom

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default what to feed a finicky PJ cardinal

Aside from live mine too only ate frozen and I tried just about everything.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

handlevandal - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jacki
    Awards Nano Contest Winner

Mine does mysis only but will nip at some cyclopeeze on occasion. I feed a lot of different things to the tanks but the PJ will only eat when it's mysis. I rinse both mysis cubes and PE Mysis because of the clouds that happen if I don't, and I stopped using Rod's since most of the fish are bigger and the little tiny particles that float about in the Rod's cloud don't seem to interest most of them. The PJ was my second fish so he's been around for over 5 years and still looks healthy and is about as active as a card can be.

cg5071 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chris

same here though mine will eat life spectrum pellets. it nibbled on aquadine but now lets it sink. just mysis and the pellets. i feed at dusk and dawn and i dont feed mysis everyday so i drop about 3 pellets at a time over him so the rest dont sink before eaten. hehe a hand fed pj. spoiled!

First Name
    Tom

Thanks for all of the replies.
    Sounds like this may be the norm for PJs.

Has anyone tried feeding oyster eggs to their PJ? I'm thinking about trying these for the tank in general, but if the PJ will go for them then I'd be more inclined to try them.

Thanks,
    Tom

Myteemouse - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Tank of the Month

Mine liked "SUPERSOFT shrimp pellets."
    President of Zoaholics anonymous.
    still on first step of twelve

streetrodder007 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill

TOM- what brands of frozen have you tried? About 2 months ago I got a bad batch of H2O Life "cyclop's" . KEE's was very happy to give me another one. which did help a little..

First Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by streetrodder007 View Post
    TOM- what brands of frozen have you tried? About 2 months ago I got a bad batch of H2O Life "cyclop's" . KEE's was very happy to give me another one. which did help a little..
    Argent Brand (I think) Cyclopeeze. That is the only frozen cyclops I've tried. Honestly didn't know that there are other brands out there! Thanks for the tip streetrodder007.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last