[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

WHAT's Wrong with Jolly!?

Bookmark and Share
    Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Unhappy WHAT's Wrong with Jolly!?

This morning with my coffee, I watched Jolly (the jawfish) as he was building a new entrance to his burrow. I noticed something weird on the left side of this head only. It kinda looks raised not like specks of ich, more like "zits" just a small clump and then there almost seemed to be a speck of it in his eye too! I am freaking out here people this is my favorite fish here! First off this is NOT ich, I am almost positive of that my tank was fallow for six weeks and I qt all fish since. Second he is acting normal. Third it is only on one side of this head the other side looks normal. Could this be like an anemone sting? He has made his home in between a gbta and a couple rock nems as of late. Please help maybe I can save him I hope I hope

Forgive for the crap pictures but I think with all 3 you can see what's going on alright:DSCF1611 - WHAT's Wrong with Jolly!?DSCF1613 - WHAT's Wrong with Jolly!?DSCF1610 - WHAT's Wrong with Jolly!?
    If you know what it is feel free to offer suggestions on helping him.
    Heidi

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

looks like sand stuck to his head IMO but it is hard to tell from the pictures because they blend in so well with his body.

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi

Its like under or in his skin from the looks of it, I thought it was sand at first too, but now I am pretty sure it isn't.

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

Luckly if it is some thing like ich ( I know its not but using that as a ref) sand dwelling fish tend to shrug it off pretty quickly. Make sure he is eating maybe just in case soak his food in garlic. Anyone else having issues? Anemone stings usually show up as dark much larger spots on fish.
    "The beatings will continue until morale improves."

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi

Luckly if it is some thing like ich ( I know its not but using that as a ref) sand dwelling fish tend to shrug it off pretty quickly. Make sure he is eating maybe just in case soak his food in garlic. Anyone else having issues? Anemone stings usually show up as dark much larger spots on fish.
    Tell me about this garlic . . .

(no one else seems any different)

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

Garlic is good for the body both yours and fish it has disease fighting properties. It boosts the immune system and stimulates feeding in fish that are not eating. You can get presses that squeeze juice out of it but its easier to goto the LFS and buy it not cheep though.
    Last edited by iyachtuxivm; 02-25-2011 at 04:49 AM. Reason: I'mmm Dumb.
    "The beatings will continue until morale improves."

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi

Well thanks again for all of your suggestions about my fishy. Turns out sand in the slime-coat is the best bet of what it was. This morning I noticed that there was no more raised area just some light "divots" on his face where they were yesterday. And by tonight I really couldn't tell they had ever been there. So thanks. Can't promise I won't freak out again It is something I do very well.
    Thanks again for putting up with me
    Heidi