[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Who is this Fish Whisperer? 550jim that's who!!

Bookmark and Share
    Tom Toro - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tom

Default Who is this Fish Whisperer? 550jim that's who!!

As some of my buddies know, I've had a crappy time with my purple and yellow tang, killing each other. Jim, suggests a mirror and.........

The purple and yellow are schooling together now. I can't believe what I'm seeing. Like they're best buddies now.

I put the face mirror in for one day, the yellow looks at it like it's an enemy. The purple travels the whole length of the tank (was staying in the far right 1ftby1ft). And now these two look like brothers.

I don't get it, but I like it.

Thanks 550jim for restoring utopia to my tank!! Now that's amazing!
    240g Great Lakes Glass! ETSS1400/panworld250,LED 120wX4 AJM, LED,2x sunbrite ,Tunzex4/,200gal sump/mixed reef/Biopellets. Hammerhead return. UV 57w. Chiller.

135g down and given to a buddy. New pic after the wall is repaired.

CR Member

Thank you, glad it helped. They will likely always have moody days where they just have to bump into each other now and then. But have had luck feeding 3-5 times a day what ever they can eat in a minute or so. Each time something different. Flakes one time pellets next time frozen once and seaweed next time. Pretty much if they see me they think its feeding time. Have a 300 and 200 gallon displays with a couple corals, couple angels, 3 foxface, a few other fish and the 19 tangs. And a 200 gallon for the lion that my grand kids love the most. Just framed insulated and prewired a new bedroom that will evenually house 1000-1200 gallon that will be my last addition. It will house the largest tangs and be in the new bedroom. So the three tanks and a 50 sump are 750 gallons with a 180 in the back yard to be brought in for the refugium. Adding the new tank will all be plumbed together, all but the quarantine tank. Just a hobby I have enjoyed since a kid with my festival gold fish?

First Name
    Tom

Sounds like you are a well experienced reefer! How about posting some pics of your tanks? I bet lots of folks would like to see them. Also, when you begin your giant tank, how about doing a build thread? A lot of folks including me like those threads a lot.
    Thanks again,
    Tom
    240g Great Lakes Glass! ETSS1400/panworld250,LED 120wX4 AJM, LED,2x sunbrite ,Tunzex4/,200gal sump/mixed reef/Biopellets. Hammerhead return. UV 57w. Chiller.

CR Member

Been taking some pictures as it goes so could post something at some point. One of the next things will be the concrete being done to support it. Not fun pictures but will be needed and will put the water lines in at that time so it comes up under the tank.

CR Member

On utube there is a 3 hour video called coral reef fish. I watch from time to time to see the mix of fish from triggers to tangs to turtles and many others. i do find it interesting that I have only seen one yellow tang. Wonder if it is about their aggression in a tank even that large?

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Toro View Post
    Sounds like you are a well experienced reefer! How about posting some pics of your tanks? I bet lots of folks would like to see them. Also, when you begin your giant tank, how about doing a build thread? A lot of folks including me like those threads a lot.
    Thanks again,
    Tom
    ++1 Tom, I would love to to see his set up too! Glad you got the Tangs to get along. I have been wanting a powder blue but our brown just goes on the attack. Maybee I will give it a try also. I would pull him out but only way I could do that is to really break a lot of coral

First Name
    Tom

Thanks, I am too. Small skirmishes now, but mostly swim together picking at the rocks.

I had the same problem with a powder brown and powder blue, Chuck. The powder brown didn't make it. The blue was incessant. I was surprised he had time to eat. Just like you, I would've had to completely remove all the coral and rock to get him out. That was a bummer.