[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Starry Blenny

Bookmark and Share
    ETBReefer05 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Eric

Default Starry Blenny

Last week I purchased a Starry Blenny and he's been doing well munching on my native Algae, however, I wanted to supplement his diet with enriched Algae or Nori from an Asian market. I'd like advice on how to introduce the stuff to the guy so he'll eat it. I know veggie clip's are pretty popular, but since he usually grazes the rocks, wouldn't banding the Algae to a rock work a little better? I realize ALL fish are different, even fish of the same species, but I'm just taking suggestions so that I can try a wide spectrum of approaches.

Thanks in advance!
    "You're gonna need a bigger boat..."-Roy Scheider as "Chief Brody" in "Jaws"

Ask 10 Reefers a question and you'll get 12 opinions in return.

---ETBReefer05

adalius - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Josh

Probably best to try target feeding it first, maybe soak it in garlic solution. Then once he starts eating it from target feeding then try putting it in a clip on the rock he likes to graze on, then move it a little every time you feed him until it gets to the glass. You might get lucky just moving it to the glass right after target feeding so that's worth a try. If they like it and they can smell it they might go to it.

Frank143 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

My blenny ignores my nori clip. The only time he eats the nori is if it floats around the tank. Every now and then I will take a small peice off of the clip and grind it in between my fingers in the tank and it floats around the tank and eventually makes its way to the blenny.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Seems like a pellet or flake food would work well. Those usually have some algae type component.

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

Just band it to a piece of rock and put it near where he normally grazes. And or Jims flaky idea (lol) ocean nutrition make a spirulina flake ALL my fish love even the leopard wrasse eats it.