[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Who names their fish?

Bookmark and Share
    iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

Default Who names their fish?

We all name our terrestrial friends, but how many people name their fish? No ground breaking info in this thread just a fun thread. I have names for some of my fish but not all and my wifes planted FW tank has a couple schools of tetras that I named the same type or school the same like the pentzona barbs(5) are Pete collectively. The silver tips are Bob and so on. My late angler was Scuba Steve named by my wife.I havent name most of my reef fish yet. Is it just the "special" ones like the huge tang or the really cool angler that get names? Are they just something to collect and /or look at or are they pets?
    "The beatings will continue until morale improves."

tankdude - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dean

My kids named all my fish, I see it as something fun and it gets them involved. Our new yellow tang was named sunshine. I also have a blue damsel named grampa, he is the oldest of the bunch.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

This is fun~at the moment I have: Larry, Curly and Moe and the pistol shrimp is gunsmoke~lol
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

It is true not all of my fish have names. It seems like the extra special fish have names, at least that I refer to them as. My kids have named everything in the tank down to the snails, and star fish. So here are some of the fish in the tank: Whistle (solar wrass), The Nemos (clown fish pair), Jolly (yellow head jawfish), Bob (red starfish), Creepy (knobby starfish), Spazz (cleaner shrimp) & theres The big Yellow @ss-hole (I named that one he's a yellow tang).
    Yes to my kids our fish are pets. My oldest daughter has a diary and about half of it is filled with stories of coral and fish, especially when they die. She has drawn some beautiful pictures of our tank too, maybe I will scan some in to show you guys!
    Heidi

redemer123 - Reefkeeper
    Graphic Designer

First Name
    Andrew

The only fish I have given a name too was my first clown fish and I named him lieutenant Dan
    It takes a long long time to build a coral reef. Step by step the reefs survive on partnerships. And the most important partners are you and I.

nate_newton - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Nate

My pair of misbarred clownfish are named One Fish Two Fish after Dr Seuss, and my tailspot blenny goes by Tailspot.

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    This is fun~at the moment I have: Larry, Curly and Moe and the pistol shrimp is gunsmoke~lol
    Liking Gunsmoke!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    It is true not all of my fish have names. It seems like the extra special fish have names, at least that I refer to them as. My kids have named everything in the tank down to the snails, and star fish. So here are some of the fish in the tank: Whistle (solar wrass), The Nemos (clown fish pair), Jolly (yellow head jawfish), Bob (red starfish), Creepy (knobby starfish), Spazz (cleaner shrimp) & theres The big Yellow @ss-hole (I named that one he's a yellow tang).
    Yes to my kids our fish are pets. My oldest daughter has a diary and about half of it is filled with stories of coral and fish, especially when they die. She has drawn some beautiful pictures of our tank too, maybe I will scan some in to show you guys!
    Heidi
    That would be very cool post em up!
    Quote Originally Posted by redemer123 View Post
    The only fish I have given a name too was my first clown fish and I named him lieutenant Dan
    You need to name some one Bubba
    "The beatings will continue until morale improves."

SaltCreeps - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chuck

i dont usually name fish and when i do i usually forget the name with in a week or two ........ this just in my gf says she names a few and knows there names but i dont really care so no names it is lol

ReefSolutions - Reefkeeper CR Sponsor
    First Name
    shannon
    Awards MBI Participant

I named some of the fish at the store. There's Bobo and Taz the mated pair of clarkii clowns, Bobo because shes a clownfish Taz because he was flipping out in the bag when i was transferring him.
    Riff and Raff the mated pair of ocellaris clowns because they are always up to no good. Micheal the clown tang because he always swims laps areound the tank after Micheal Phelps. Micheal the foxface after Micheal J Fox. Big Bertha the maroon percula hybrid just because shes big and mean. Waldo the emerald crab because we can never find him. Cole the kole tang. Ug the angler cuz hes ugly. Dan the fowlers tang because my neighbors name is Dan Fowler. We named our yellow coris wrasse that we had Roo because she always jumped into the overflow box everytime I cleaned the rock tank. The vlamingi tangs name is Blue because of the blue lips. we had a orange spot rabbitfish we name Citrus. Our fish earn their names here at the store. Each name has a story behind it. But it's fun.

Shannon