[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

will lettuce work?? (Feeding LMB)

Bookmark and Share

Default will lettuce work?? (Feeding LMB)

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I finally got the lawn mower blenny i've wanted and hes doing fine! he ate all the green algae already tho and he seems to have no intrest in the flake like i was hoping. I've got this frozen diet i will try but it floats so its hard to get it passed my clowns. So the only other thing i can think of is the lettuce. Will this idea work? Also when i bought him he was white with dark grey spots now that i've got him in his new home hes almost pink on the bottom! and his spots have faded to a light grey Exactly like my substrate's color! Do they actually change color or is it just the combination of different light and him being next to a different colored rock?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#THANK YOU!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    Last edited by Rabidgoose; 03-13-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Lettuce doesn't have the nutrients in it that he will need. They love it but it isn't as digestiable as say flake food. If you feed lettuce feed Romain not Iceburg (regular). Try Nori instead. Nori is the stuff they wrap sushi in! Most good LFS have it but if they don;t you can usualy find it in an Asian food store or an "upscale" grocery store. Just make sure it isn't smoked or flavored. You can get it on line too.. Foster's and Smith's new catalog.. pg 154!
    They only problem isa it's a bit messy! Lawnmower Blennies are not neat eaters! They rip off big chunks and it floats around the tank! But it's fun to see them sitting on the clip like a king on his throne defending his nori!

The color part.. I would say he is changeing to match his enviroment... blending in keeps a slow, awkward moving fish hidden better than bright colors. But they are soo cute! look real close at it's eyes they are striped!! We called ours Cuss .. cuz he is such an "ugly cuss"

hope that helps!
    sarah
    Hi my name is sarah, and I've got the Upgrade Bug!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!!!!

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

yes your lawnmower will adapt color to surroundings, as for the lettuce ramoth put it right it is not nutrient rich romaine is a little better, but yes nori will work a lot better. you can even get sea veggies but over time most LMB's will adapt to flake food, mine fights my sailfin for food it is quite comical. you can try zuchinni also my LMB loves it but just keep it up and he will adapt. they are awesome fish they have so much personality. good luck
    fulltankshot 1 - will lettuce work?? (Feeding LMB)

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by graphixx22
    you can try zuchinni also my LMB loves it
    Oh? So there really is a use for that stuff? I though it was created just to annoy me or something, I sure won't eat it... bleh!
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Limpit - Reefkeeper CR Member

You could try a sinking algae wafer such as these: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...&N=2004+113280
    Or I use these in the leaf form: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...AV&N=2004+6100
    Happy Reefing!