[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Would like Seahorses and pipefish

Bookmark and Share

Default Would like Seahorses and pipefish

Hello everyone, Its been a while since my last post and I have a question. As the title states I want to have a seahorse and pipefish tank. Now I have a reef with acroporas,leathers,digitata's,gsp,and galaxia's and lots of flow coming from two seio 1100's on a seio contraller and one korilla 4 and the return pump from my sump which is about 800 to 900 gallons an hour. This tank is almost 4 years old and has an enormous pod population as well as other inhaitants such as an Yellow belly hippo,Mandarin (eats ocean nutrition pellets),A flame angel and a Royal gramma.What would have to be done to accomplish this beside the fact that the galaxia would have to go? And, is there just to much flow?
    As for the tank its a 75 gallon with a 40 long for a sump filled with cheato and red and green grape calupra(sp)and thats where the skimmer is.
    Thanks for the replies and if you have any other questions please ask... Thanks.

Your tank is not suited for seahorses.

Your powerheads are not compatible, your fish are not compatible and some of your corals are not compatible.

Sorry.

For more info on seahorse safe fish and corals, look around for a guide entitled What's safe, What's not? It's in the seahorse.org library and has been updated recently. Apparently I can not post a link until I make a few more posts.

For flow you can have a descent amount of flow in with seahorses, but it needs to be broken up so there is no area of intense current, and a place of retreat from the current. Powerheads like Koralia's aren't good as the gaps in the design allow for the tail to get trapped in it. Seio's are a bit better if you use the fish guard. I have tried a 620 never an 1100. I would be concerned if they were on controllers though.

HTH
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.