[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

WOW! Guess what my wife wants now!

Bookmark and Share
    Iconz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default WOW! Guess what my wife wants now!

Seahorses! lol! Yup! I've finnaly got her interrested in the hobby! She was reading Angie's "Help!.... Best tank options!" thread, and now she wants some! So... As soon as I get my 20g project on the move, it looks like we'll be starting a 2nd project for some ponies! Oh lord, the list questions that I see coming with this one! Just thought I'd let you all know!

-JD

Sounds like fun! I haven't jumped into seahorses yet, but I'm surprised my wife hasn't made me. lol

Were you still thinking about getting your 4x24W T5 setup from me?

Eric
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

I would get to know the basics before you jump into ponies. I don't know much about them but have heard that they are not for beginners. But if you want to take the plunge I would suggest talking to a lot of people in the seahorse forum on here. Good luck!!
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

carpenterwrasse - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    George

read read and read some more they are not the easiest to keep but I feel they are the most rewarding when you do....I had one a while back that lasted 6 months killed me when it went but I have not given up my hopes as to setting up a stable later when i don't have as many obligations so I can devote them the time they need
    George

As the others have said... challenging, but what a reward for your hard work!!!

Sea~Horse~Whisperer - Reefkeeper CR Member

I also agree, read, read , read. I love them to no end. At this point I would also suggest you have the basic meds on hand before you buy the seahorses. I have 26 seahorses in my house right now. (no, I'm not addicted, lol) (15 are babies 7wks old yesterday!) I have an "almost" adult pair that likes to be petted. Every time I go to feed them they stick their heads out of the water for their daily head rub. They do not eat untill I touch them. I have no idea why. They also grab my fingers every time I'm cleaning the tank too. That pair is strange, but cute.

When you do get seahorses, I suggest you order them from Draco Marine. Out of all my seahorses I have or had, they are the healthiest and most active. Please take note, if you don't want to raise the babies, get all females. Males can have pouch problems that arn't worth it if your not breeding. Also....if you do plan to breed or just want a M/F pair, and you get them from Draco Marine, they are the Northern erectus. Their fry do not hitch at birth. It can take up to 2 weeks for all of the fry to hitch.

Good luck, I'm glad more people are thinking about seahorses. They are the best IMO.

Angie

bobert - Reefkeeper Registered User

ya me and dad r starting tank and only thing my mom cares about is wether we can have seahorses or not
    :smt069Bobert:smt029

On the road of life only question the important things and youll find the road gets smoother up ahead:iroc:

BWADWM35 - Reefkeeper CR Member

bobert is right!!! The minute my husband said he was setting up a sw tank and I could pick an item to go in, I asked for a sea horse. Fortune enough for me we came across a free tank and Tall enough for sh's. With the expense of both husband and son tank that gives me time to research my challanging staple.

hummer - Reefkeeper CR Member

good luck icons.... you need it...lol..lol...hehehe

my wife is hooked too
    :: hummer :nemo