[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

wuts the deal with mandarins??

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CR Member

Default wuts the deal with mandarins??

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i thought mandarins are specialty feeders.why do most people have them> and they live a long time.ive seen them in stores that feed the other fish that are kept with them algae, flakes and live brine.are the mandarins eating anyone one of these three food items? ive seen the same speciman in the same tank for a long time and it doesnt look like its health is declining.whats the deal?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    eeeew thats gross!...i like it =)

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Mandarins are very finicky fish. Most feed cyclopeeze and other pods. I had one and it ate fine for awhile and then just stopped and slowly starved to death. I'd stay away unless you want to research it extensively and are putting a lot of time and energy into them.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#KG#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

CR Member

Default Hopefully this will help

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#!--StartFragment --#ed_cl#I thought maybe the info below will help you! I have 2 (1 of each).#ed_op#IMG src="http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/smileys/Word_Other/10.gif"#ed_cl# Mine seem to eat just about everything I feed my tank. They even seem to eat algae.#ed_op#IMG src="http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/smileys/Word_Other/10.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_ op#FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff80" color=#0000ff#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#Mandarin Dragonet - Green (Pterosynchiropus splendidus)#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#The Mandarin, a.k.a.Green Mandarin, is absolutely stunning in appearence, with their incredibly colored patterns and colors. The Mandarin is full of colorful sweeping shapes of red, blue, and green throughout its body. The Mandarinfish is a very peaceful creature that likes to hop and hover throughout the aquarium looking for microfauna to feed on. They should be introduced into established aquariums with Live Rock, as this is where their best food source breeds -- copepods. The Mandarin will also accept live brine and worms. These fish love lots of rockwork to swim around and are very popular for their excellent disposition and coloring. These fish are often confused as Gobies, but their true species name is Dragonet. The males can be distinguished from females by their elongated dorsal spine. They make a great addition to any reef tank. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#The Dragonet family of fish are small fish that are usually found hopping around reefs. These fish have small protruding mouths designed for capturing microfauna. The Dragonets have two separated dorsal fins with the male Dragonet having an elongated dorsal spine.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000ff#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffbfff"#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#Care Level: Moderate Temperament: Peaceful Reef Safe: Yes Diet: Live Worms, Live Brine, Microfauna Origin: Indian Ocean Acclimation Time: 3+ hours#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff80"#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000bf#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff80"#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#Mandarin Dragonet - Psychedelic (Synchiropus picturatus)#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#The Psychedelic Mandarin, a.k.a. Spotted Mandarin, is not nearly as available as its close cousin the Green Mandarin. These fish are absolutely stunning in appearence, with their incredibly colored patterns and colors. The Psychedelic Mandarin is green to gray in color with colorful concentric mis-shaped spots of dark green trimmed with bright red, orange, and green. The Mandarinfish is a very peaceful creature that likes to hop and hover throughout the aquarium looking for microfauna to feed on. They should be introduced into established aquariums with Live Rock, as this is where their best food source breeds -- copepods. The Mandarin will also accept live brine and worms. These fish love lots of rockwork to swim around and are hugely popular for their excellent disposition and coloring. They make a great addition to any reef tank. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#The Dragonet family of fish are small fish that are usually found hopping around reefs. These fish have small protruding mouths designed for capturing microfauna. The Dragonets have two separated dorsal fins with the male Dragonet having an elongated dorsal spine.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffbfff"#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000ff#ed_cl#Care Level: Moderate Temperament: Peaceful Reef Safe: Yes Diet: Live Worms, Live Brine, Microfauna Origin: Indian Ocean Acclimation Time: 3+ hours#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0000ff#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

CR Member

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#is there any danger of the mandarin eating up all the pods off the live rock??#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

CR Member

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#They haven't in my tank. A friend has had one for nearly a year and I am sure he wishes he would eat some hear and there. But I have not witnessed mine picking at any. Though now and again his behavior with my snails is a little suspicous.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

CR Member

what about a mandy in a 5g by itself??(and live rock and sand of course) that sound good?? hmm --and a maroon clown (i might go up to a 12g eclipse if i reeaally have to)

CR Member

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am not sure Remember this is only my opinion#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#but I would think it isn't a great idea as they would depend on a complete eco system. You cannot provide it in a 5g.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#They do not suggest even getting one unless you have a 35g or larger. They suggest no more than 1 per 65g & even when it's a larger tank they suggest only a male and female set.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have both kind and they live happily on opposites sides of the tank. But they do not seem to be aggressive toward each other at all.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would like to add a female but I am scared to just add her for no good reasons. Instead I will just replace some of my cleaning crew someone is having a blast taking from their shells and then spitting them out some what chewed!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#DO some solo net research or look up the specific fish you are asking about here in the forum. Maroon can get quite big and I would think would not be happy in that small of an environment.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

CR Member

thanx 4 the advise brine

peregrinus - Reefkeeper Registered User

Mandarins are way cool they will eat all your pods that is their main diet. as for the tank size i seen it recomended no smaller than 100 gals just so there is enough pods. if you do buy one have LFS feed it and see if it takes frozen or flake food most do not and will starve to death after eating all the pods. you can also order pods for you tank if you wanted to go to that extent.
    Quantum mechanics the dreams stuff is made of.

150 started 8/12/06
    57 gal started 8/12/08

CR Member

order pods?from where? how are they delivered?are they sent on live rocks? (alot of questions huh?)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last