[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Yellow Tang

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    EQCM2B - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Yellow Tang

OK, Got the new 55 gallon set up. Wife wants to add a Yellow Tang because she like the bright color. Will a Tang get along with the 2 false percs, Sailfin Blenny, GSP, Candy Cane, Mushrooms, BTA, and assorted snails and hermits? I know that 55 gallons is borderline for tangs, Live Aquaria says at least 50 and Marine Depot recommends 75. I only want one because we mainly want all corals. This would probably be the last fish until something bad happens. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Depends, if you go with a juvenile yellow tang things should be fine, but prepare the better half with "you understand that he/she will outgrow this tank after a while', years if starting pretty small. But either she'll accept that or you'll get the green light for a larger tank after a while :D

Either way please be sure to QT the new tang.... I love them all, but they are ich magnets and tend to be stressfull shippers, even just being toted home from an LFS stresses them.

How large do they get Dakar? I have a Hippo & Yellow Tang atm and their only 2 1/2 or 3 inches now. Ive seen Hippos up to 5 inches , but yellow tangs ive never seen very large.
    55 Gallon. One year old, and looking SUPER.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

According to the literature Yellows can get up to 8" long, Blue Hippo's up to 12". Gotta take hieght into consideration as well for many tangs... ie..our sailfin is around 7" long and over 7" tall when she's showing off or defending a good piece of algae.

ReefNeck - Reefkeeper Registered User

In regards to having any Tangs in a 55G I have always said no because they need room to swim. a 6' tank at least!

Now, I went and broke my own rule and got a small yellow tang in a trade with a friend and I am SO glad I did. He is great to watch! Goes to both my cleaner shrimp and my cleaner wrasse.

Tonight I added a new fish and the Tang defended him from all the bigger fish in the tank. Kept getting in between the new fish and the bullies till they gave up. Was a sight to see.

So now I say a Yellow Tang can be kept in a 55G tank as Dakar said....For a little while and when small. I am in the process of trying to obtain a 90G tank now so mine may get a new home before he even gets very big.

CR Member

I've added a purple tang to my tank yesterday and he's right away paired with my Regal Angel ( who's quite surprised but doesn't seem to mind )...They look a bit like the odd pair but everybody seems to enjoy it so...
    Regal Angel Addict

EQCM2B - Reefkeeper CR Member

Thanks for the advice. I think We made her change her mind when we said "ich magnet". Only time will tell, lol.

Thanks again,
    steve

carpenterwrasse - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    George

that is the reason i don't have any I had an awesome powder blue tang for about 2 years then added a purple tang and 1 week later i had an empty tank thanks to ich

CR Member

well on my end, so far so very good with the purple tang. He's eating as I have never seen a fish eat on his first day, and well eversince, so fingers crossed....and he still hasn't left the side of the Regal Angel, who looks somewhat puzzled...

Maybe the solution to having a happy ich-less tang is to provide him with a regal angel ? ...Huh...?....( obvious joke ;-)
    Regal Angel Addict

systemfan15 - Reefkeeper CR Member

yea definitely QT...i made that mistake with my yellow tang and it got ich after a water change 1 month after he arrived. I learned the hard way...I QT now..
    Steve K.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last