[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Yellow tang left eye cloudy

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member
    First Name
    Joel

Default Yellow tang left eye cloudy

I am fairly new to the salt water tanks. I have a 90 gal and just added a yellow tang that I bought from tropicorium in MI. They were very helpfully and told me to go to this site if I had any questions. The fish has a cloudy film over it's left eye, and maybe just a little swollen looking. Should I be worried or do anything?

Thanks!

Joel

CR Member

How long has it been cloudy? As a general rule for myself, I always soak high quality food, ie.. rods, in a garlic solution, which can be purchased or made, for 5-10 minutes for the first week of feeding any time I get new fish. Garlic generally helps the fish eat and their immune systems fight off parasites. Cloudy eyes could be a number of things, hence how long has it been cloudy. It could clear up in a few days, or it could fall out....or even be signs of other more serious issues.
    Need to laugh sometimes http://cheezburger.com/View/5382969600
    Likes larryandlaura liked this post

CR Member
    First Name
    Joel

Quote Originally Posted by hardcz View Post
    How long has it been cloudy? As a general rule for myself, I always soak high quality food, ie.. rods, in a garlic solution, which can be purchased or made, for 5-10 minutes for the first week of feeding any time I get new fish. Garlic generally helps the fish eat and their immune systems fight off parasites. Cloudy eyes could be a number of things, hence how long has it been cloudy. It could clear up in a few days, or it could fall out....or even be signs of other more serious issues.
    If was fine this morning. I just got home from work and it was cloudy. So maybe 8-10 hrs. Not very long. Is there any thing I should be doing? other then the food thing?

CR Member

if you have the option to turn off the white lights and leave actinics on, or just the lights off, that'd be best, IMO. Want to lower stress for the fish to allow it to heal, if it needs to. It's possible it could of hit the eye on something too.
    It's possible your fish has a bacteria infection, parasite, or just damaged it. Short of taking it out of the tank, setting up a quarantine tank to treat for possible causes, I'd go the food route and try to keep possible stress down to a minimum. You may want to call the trop and see what they say as well, they may have you bring the fish back or send them a picture to better analyze, as they're more an expert dealing with fish as their business.

CR Member
    First Name
    Joel

thank you for the info

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Bummer to hear. The Tropicorium takes great care of there customers. So no worries you are in good hands.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!