[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

265 Gallon Mixed Reef

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    MH_Courtney - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default 265 Gallon Mixed Reef

Hi Everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Courtney and I have been in this hobby for 2+ years and my fiance has been in the hobby for over 7 years. We have a 265 gallon mixed reef that is about 1 year old. It started with the contents of a 75 gallon and we have been slowly trying to fill in all the extra space. It is amazing how a coral that can look like a huge colony in a 75 can look like a frag in a 265! The tank was started with overdriven T-5 bulbs and a few months ago we converted one side to LEDs so we could compare the T-5s and the LEDs. We just finished converting the rest of the fixture and we are very excited about the LEDs.

Here is a little background information on our system. The display is a 265 gallon glass tank (7' x 2' x 31") and the sump is a 30 gallon glass tank. We run 2 MP40 vortechs on reef crest 100% as well as the return pump for flow. Lighting is 72 three watt LEDs, 36 Cree Royal Blues and 36 Rebel Luxeon Whites. The Blues have 40 degree optics and the Whites have 60 degree optics. They are driven by 6 dimmable Meanwell drivers and we have a potentiometer for each color to control them. We run a protein skimmer and filter sock for filtration and I do a 10 gallon daily water change with Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt. We do not use any reactors of any kind, we rely on the water changes and a very small amount of Tropic Marin Bio-Calcium and Tropic Marin Bio-Magnesium daily to maintain our parameters. That about sums up the equipment side of our system, we try to keep things simple and effective and have found these methods give excellent results.

The livestock in the tank is still a work in progress. Some of the fish we currently have are a Powder Blue Tang, Yellow Tang, Female Crosshatch Trigger, Copper banded Butterfly, Filefish, a mated pair of Yellow Assessors, a mated pair of Maroon Gold Stripe Clownfish and several others. We still have quite a fish wish list for the tank that we are slowly working on. Corals are mostly SPS and just to name a few: ORA Joe the Coral, ORA Frogskin, Nathan's Green Milliepora, Idaho Grape Monticap, Orange Setosa, Orange Digitata, ORA Green Digitata and many other SPS frags. The LPS we have are mostly different acan lords with a few chalices as well as a basketball size colony of Purple Tip Frogspawn. The only soft corals we have are zoanthids and palythoas some of which include Red People Eaters, Candy Apple Reds and Armor of Gods to name a few.

Some daily maintenance that I do on the tank includes the 10 gallon water change, dosing the Tropic Marin Bio-Calcium and Bio-Magnesium and feeding a variety of frozen foods to the fish and corals. The fish also receive dry pellets in an auto feeder twice a day. I change the filter sock every other day and clean the skimmer collection cup and test the water parameters once a week and clean the glass as needed.

I think that about sums up everything with the tank. We try to keep everything as simple as possible and have definitely seen some amazing growth. I am very excited to see in a year or so how much more mature it will look as everything grows and fills in more.

Here are a few pictures, the full tank shot is from May 2010 and many of the coral shots are from August 2010. These pictures are all with full T-5s on the tank. I will be posting more recent pictures soon so that everyone can see how it looks with the LEDs.
    Last edited by MH_Courtney; 03-02-2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: text and pics not showing up

IMG 1561 - 265 Gallon Mixed Reef

AOGPaly08 26 10 - 265 Gallon Mixed Reef

BlueTort08 23 10 - 265 Gallon Mixed Reef

Bubble08 26 10 - 265 Gallon Mixed Reef

FruitLoopsAcan08 26 10 - 265 Gallon Mixed Reef

Joethecoral08 23 10 1 - 265 Gallon Mixed Reef

ORAGreenDigi08 31 10 - 265 Gallon Mixed Reef

Setosa08 31 10 - 265 Gallon Mixed Reef

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

Welcome to CR Courtney - Beautiful tank!

I agree with you about the LEDs, I've been 100% LED for a little over a year
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

Welcome! and looks good! i like that acan!

First Name
    Manoj
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner Tank of the Month

This is a very nice acan, It looks very similar to happy ending acan.

Quote Originally Posted by Manoj's Reef View Post

This is a very nice acan, It looks very similar to happy ending acan.
    Thanks, it is a fruit loops acan

tankdude - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dean

Very beautiful tank.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Very nice!!!!

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

Very nice tank! You say you are running the mp40s on your tank. How thick is the glass on your tank? Reason I am asking is I have heard that at the 1/2" mark its a gamble on the 40s if it will stay attached. Ever have any issues like that? I am looking into them for my 225.
    "The beatings will continue until morale improves."

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Very nice tank! Welcome to CR can't wait to see more of your pictures!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last