[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

75 gallon keeping it simple

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CR Member
    First Name
    Erik

Default 75 gallon keeping it simple

picturephp?albumid325&amppictureid2675&ampthumb1 - 75 gallon keeping it simple picturephp?albumid325&amppictureid2677&ampthumb1 - 75 gallon keeping it simple picturephp?albumid325&amppictureid2673&ampthumb1 - 75 gallon keeping it simple my 75 gallon
    empurer 450 hang on
    sea colon skimmer
    one 950 power head and on 1050
    sump in construction 11" wide 18 high 36 long makes the tank like 105 gallon fully running.
    sea colon beefed up with two 100 gallon air pumps with micro stones, pound pump 800 ghr
    just waiting on over flow box to come in mail, CPR Deluxe Overflow CS100 800 GPH

i started the tank in high school so its ben running for about six years never had a fish just die unless it was eating by somthing lol. but never worryed bout the nitrates and phos, cuz just had fish in the tank now im trying to turn it into a reef, and taking any tips i can git along the wayDSCN0895 - 75 gallon keeping it simpleDSCN0899 - 75 gallon keeping it simple
    DSCN0891 - 75 gallon keeping it simple
    DSCN0819 - 75 gallon keeping it simple
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by saltwater addict420; 02-21-2012 at 12:47 PM. Reason: new pics

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

You have an RO filter? Have you looked into bacteria/carbon dosing or Granular ferric oxide? All of these will help alot w/ nitrate/phosphate, and the algea that goes along with it.

1 powerhead isnt going to be adaquate for this tank. More flow can only help. If the flow doesnt keep nutrients suspended in the water column, they will not get removed w/ the protein skimmer, and will settle to break down in the tank, causing more NO3 and PO4.

Old, used light bulbs will also grow algea pretty well. Is your light fixture new or used?

So far though, looks like you are on the right track for info to getting this tank into shape! I too like the keep it simple aproach.

CR Member
    First Name
    Erik

I never tryed anything to keep to get rid of all that, just water change once month with r/o water, so ill check that out asap and get another powerhead in there this weekend. besides that the lights are bran new light bulbs and fix, but i want to change the light bulbs to a diffrent brand. I was trying to find uv international bulbs but i cant find anyware that sells them. got any tips on wats a good brand of bulbs? bacteria/carbon dosing or Granular ferric oxide? wats that i never heard of it ?

CR Member
    First Name
    Erik

yea i talked to the guy its just i work 2nd **** and live downriver so warren in kinda a drive on a work day, but hopefully this guy really wants this shark cuz im gona try to build a sump this week end got any tips on wat to build it out of? or pics i should look at to get a idea?

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

and ur right that shark stirs all the stuff on the bottum up into the tank so ur right not clean water was good for just fish but nothing else.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by saltwater addict420; 02-21-2012 at 12:11 PM.

CR Member
    First Name
    Erik

def dont have lot of pace old school stand, heavy duty but no room under got 11 inchs wide to work with so im gona have to crate somthin so im thinking 11" wide 14high and 30 long, think im gona have a night mare cuz tanks got braces in the inside that have to stay so im gona build down the middle of it so i guess my next ? is ware do i get material to do this, i have a idea how to make it just dont know wat to use any hints

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

i dont get it cuz the tank is 18" wide but there is no room under there. its built out of 2x3, 2x4s but it wat free thats the catch lol

First Name
    Chris

Be sure to click the "short demo" on the bottom left of the page-

1 Pound (453 Grams) Bulk GFO Granular Ferric Oxide - English

First Name
    Chris

And here is one of the many dactria/carbon dosing products available out there-

Brightwell Aquatics - Microbacter7

Brightwell Aquatics - Reef BioFuel

There is also this-

io Pellet Reactor and Biopellets | Bulk Reef Supply - English

You will want to research the bacteria/carbon dosing very well before starting. There are a few important pieces of information that go along with this process that you will want/need to be familiar with before you start.

First Name
    Chris

And- if you decide to keep it simple, and are not ready to jump into a sump right away, there are a few HOB protein skimmers out there these days that will be far superior to what you are running right now-

Reef Octopus Extreme HOB Skimmer OCT-BH800SBS - English

Reef Octopus Hang-on-the-Back 2000 OCT-BH2000 - English

BUBBLE-MAGUS - Aquarium Internal skimmer|external skimmer|Dosing pump|Calcium reactor|Nitrate reductor/NO3 reductor|Filters|Turtle shell lampshade|Water monitor and controller|Additives|moonlight LED

And there are a few others out there too.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Wow Sir-great info great links thanks!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

CR Member
    First Name
    Erik

def like that oct-bh2000' design. so u think my skimmer is part the prob? and yea dont think im ready to do the sump just yet, i just bout another powerhead today and got a no stagment areas in the tank but gona check more into this skimmer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last