[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

acperge's 180 build

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    acperge - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tony

Default acperge's 180 build

Here's some background... I started a 45g cube just over a year ago, and decided I wanted something bigger, so upgraded to a 75g display... Well, something went haywire and that system completely crashed about a month ago, and I decided since I had to virtually start completely over, I would just do what I REALLY wanted to do... Go big or go home!

I picked up a glass 180, which I will NEVER move out of my basement again (That beast is HEAVY!), and started adding pieces... I decided I wanted to flush mount this tank to the wall, so I had a fellow reefer, tazzy695, come over and help me drill for an overlow.. Luckily no shatter!

I've custom built just about everything going into this, becuase:
    A) I'm a DIY guy, it just feels better.
    B) It saves quite a bit of cash, which I plan to use on fish and corals...

I'm gonna be taking some pics tonight to add to here.. I just finished the overlow, plumbing and sump, and currently running a freshwater test on it..

Let me hear your guys' suggestions and feedback, I'm all about input on this one...

Tony
    Last edited by acperge; 02-28-2011 at 11:34 AM.

Mike - Reefkeeper CR Member

What type of corals are you planning on if this is a reef tank? That is one of the most important questions I think. Figure out the pivotal species and then build a system around the species requirements.
    anacroporamademepoora
    --Lifetime member of the "No Mud Club".:

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

That's right, go big or go home! Can't wait to see some pics, I love DIY projects!!
    What are your plans for the tank fish list wise and coral?
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

tazzy695 - Reefkeeper CR Member

I have a feeling this tank is going to be a jaw dropper and let me tell ya it is HEAVY to move

cant wait to see pics
    I have been reefing from 08-2007 till 5-2011

reef tanks are like wifes you have to give them some attention every now and then

First Name
    Tony

Default Pics

Here's a few pics... Emptied the well water and filled it with RO.. Added the salt and mixing it for a few days... I am ordering the rocks from BRS next week, so hopefully I can get some aquascaping done in a bit... TRYING to go slow... Much more difficult than it sounds!

Sump so far... Still need to add the fuge light, some sand and box out the return pump
    DSCF0401 - acperge's 180 build
    Overflow pipe from tank to sump.. Please excuse my mess..
    DSCF0400 - acperge's 180 build
    Pic of the custom built overflow from top of tank..
    DSCF0399 - acperge's 180 build
    Full tank shot.. Trying to keep the water moving with random powerheads until I get a wavemaker plan together..
    DSCF0398 - acperge's 180 build
    Inside shot of overflow and freshly drilled hole, compliments of Tazzy! THANKS AGAIN!
    DSCF0397 - acperge's 180 build

I have some black and white hawaiian sand I got from a fellow reefer, and I plan to put that in on Tuesday after the salt has mixed and aerated enough...

As far as fish list, I dont' really have one yet... I know the staples:
    Pair of Clowns, preferably Picasso, or something else a little different... Maybe maroons... and a couple nems for hosting..
    Selection of tangs; I LOVE the look of tangs... I had 4 different types in my 75 before the crash.. A Yellow, Blue Hippo, Kole, and Powder Brown..
    Nothing too exotic to start with... Probably a Fairy Wrasse, some smaller, colorful fish like that... I DEFINATELY want a blue spotted jawfish... Things of that variety... Colorful and social mostly..

As far as corals, I've never had much more than some frogspawn, hammer, a some zoa's.. I would really like to get some varieties of SPS and LPS mixed in throughout... I really like Acan's, Favia, Brains, stags, monti's... Things like that.. I plan to order a calcium reactor and CO2 system when I get the money saved..

For lights, I'm going with t5 and MH mixed... I will be using 3 250w HQI MH and a total of 8 36" T5HO bulbs in a retro, custom canopy.. I want to build the canopy to the ceiling so the tank is floor to ceiling..

My protien skimmer is a Euro-Reef CS180.. I figure that will get me by for a while until I get that thing loaded with livestock, and then I'll have to do an upgrade...

Let me hear your suggestions on the lights... So far I have a 4 bulb CF fixture over it, that I got with the tank just to light it while I work on it, but definately know I need more lights.. Especially for my clam I'm babying the other tank until I can give her the home she deserves.. Could use suggestions of bulb combos for T5, and if there are better options than MH/T5 mix...

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
    Tony

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I like what I see so far!! Keep us posted!

First Name
    Tony

So, I figured I should probably do an update on here.... It's been a LONG time and not much has changed with the tank.. My daughter, Isabella, was born in April, which has kept me away from the tank for a good long while, but the itch is back, and needs to be scratched!

I've added a few fish, but not many corals. Well, until today! I decided to stop up at Reef Paradise, haven't been there much since Mike left, and found an amazing powder blue tang.. Man he's gorgeous. So I couldn't resist! Also picked up a few corals today. Never really kept corals before, so this should make a for a fun experience.

I've also updated the sump and a few other items, which I will get into later. Currently the livestock list is as follows:

Fish:
    1 Blue Hippo Tang
    1 Yellow Tang
    1 Powder Blue Tang
    2 Blue Greem Chromis
    1 Clown (Was a pair, but male died)
    1 Coral Beauty Angel

Inverts:
    6-8 GBTA's (Big one keeps splitting!)
    1 Blood Shrimp

Corals:
    Nuclear Greens
    Hammer
    Kenya Tree
    Xenia
    Birdsnest (2 I picked up today, one's green and the other's a purpleish color and very branchy)
    Orange Monti

My EuroReef skimmer took a crap, so I bought a Coralife Super Skimmer to get me by for a while, and I'm planning to build my own. In the time I didn't have one going, I've managed to get quite the algea build up... After only a few days with the skimmer back on , it's clearing up, so that's a plus! I'm thinking on a building a recirc style one... I like the idea of building my own stuff... I guess worse case, I'll end up buying a commerical skimmer...

Here's a bunch of pictures.. I apologize for the quality, I'm terrible and pictures and I used my iphone for most of them! I'll work on it I promise!

The new guy getting ready to square off with the yellow:
    IMG 0264 - acperge's 180 build
    The new Powder Blue:
    IMG 0262 - acperge's 180 build
    Birdsnest:
    IMG 0260 - acperge's 180 build
    Orange Monti:
    IMG 0259 - acperge's 180 build
    Green Birdsnest:
    IMG 0258 - acperge's 180 build
    Powder Blue again:
    IMG 0257 - acperge's 180 build
    PB and Yellow again:
    IMG 0256 - acperge's 180 build
    The gang:
    IMG 0241 - acperge's 180 build
    Baby GBTAs:
    IMG 0235 - acperge's 180 build
    Fishes:
    IMG 0066 - acperge's 180 build
    IMG 0065 - acperge's 180 build
    029 - acperge's 180 build
    028 - acperge's 180 build
    027 - acperge's 180 build

Some FTS:
    036 - acperge's 180 build
    035 - acperge's 180 build
    034 - acperge's 180 build
    033 - acperge's 180 build

I'd love some feedback, so don't be afraid to share!
    Tony

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Thanks for the update! Nice rock work!

Nice to see that Powder Blue in his new home! BEAUTIFUL fish!

First Name
    Tony

Smile Frags in place...

I moved my frags to their "final" placement today... I snapped a few more pics.. SO here they are! I know how much everyone loves pics!

DSCF2848 - acperge's 180 build
    DSCF2846 - acperge's 180 build
    DSCF2826 - acperge's 180 build
    DSCF2830 - acperge's 180 build
    DSCF2832 - acperge's 180 build
    DSCF2833 - acperge's 180 build
    DSCF2834 - acperge's 180 build
    DSCF2835 - acperge's 180 build
    DSCF2837 - acperge's 180 build
    DSCF2839 - acperge's 180 build
    DSCF2840 - acperge's 180 build
    DSCF2841 - acperge's 180 build