[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Advice on setting up a new 75 gallon deepblue rimless

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CR Member
    Awards Referral Award

Default Advice on setting up a new 75 gallon deepblue rimless

We purchased a 75 gallon deep blue rimless tank and we are trying to figure out what to get as for lights and maybe other necessary / nice additions to make it an environment for our coral to thrive.

We currently have a 46 bowfront and plan on using what's in it to get the next tank started and hoping to have it set up before our family comes in for thanksgiving.

Any thought and don't be negative or ask a million of un-necessary questions please.

Thanks in advanced.

redemer123 - Reefkeeper
    Graphic Designer

First Name
    Andrew

i don't think setting the tank up before thanksgiving is allowing a sufficient amount of time but as for lights i suppose a nice T5 fixture should put you in a position to support just about any corals you want...you should include the dimensions for your tank that would help others with selecting good lighting options for you to choose from.
    It takes a long long time to build a coral reef. Step by step the reefs survive on partnerships. And the most important partners are you and I.

CR Member
    Awards Referral Award

Quote Originally Posted by redemer123 View Post
    i don't think setting the tank up before thanksgiving is allowing a sufficient amount of time but as for lights i suppose a nice T5 fixture should put you in a position to support just about any corals you want...you should include the dimensions for your tank that would help others with selecting good lighting options for you to choose from.
    It may or may not be enough te but we just got it and our fam is coming so we are trying this one. As for dimensions, the tank is 48-18-20. I think.

We have an established tank now. Has anyone set up a new tank using the older tank parts?

redemer123 - Reefkeeper
    Graphic Designer

First Name
    Andrew

you could use your old tank parts im sure if they are rated for a bigger tank then what your using them for, thats why its always good to go one up with equipment in case you want to upgrade
    It takes a long long time to build a coral reef. Step by step the reefs survive on partnerships. And the most important partners are you and I.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Are you running any type of filtration? How much live rock you have? How long has the old tank been running? Do you have fish that need to make the switch?

CR Member
    Awards Referral Award

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    Are you running any type of filtration? How much live rock you have? How long has the old tank been running? Do you have fish that need to make the switch?
    We have a 20 high sump, BM nac6 skimmer, 2 solarmax h.o. that are on a 46 bow. We have a little over 50 pounds of live rock. Tank has been up for 6 months. What do you mean in fish needing to make the switch? Size? If size, no they are still fine for the current tank.

CR Member
    Awards Referral Award

Quote Originally Posted by redemer123 View Post
    you could use your old tank parts im sure if they are rated for a bigger tank then what your using them for, thats why its always good to go one up with equipment in case you want to upgrade
    Cool. I'll have to double check. I'm hoping to so I can avoid some things till I can afford other stuff

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

If the current tank is 6 months old give or take, everything should transfer over with little issue. You may need to rinse your sand, but unlikely.

I would suggest picking up a bottle of BioSpira, to really help kick up the new tank and some bacteria.

Other than that 46 up to a 55 isn't much of a jump, kinda just like a big water change. Only other thing you'll really need is a bigger better light.

Good luck keep us posted!
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

CR Member
    Awards Referral Award

Quote Originally Posted by ReeferRob View Post
    If the current tank is 6 months old give or take, everything should transfer over with little issue. You may need to rinse your sand, but unlikely.

I would suggest picking up a bottle of BioSpira, to really help kick up the new tank and some bacteria.

Other than that 46 up to a 55 isn't much of a jump, kinda just like a big water change. Only other thing you'll really need is a bigger better light.

Good luck keep us posted!
    Thanks!! Thats great to hear! Do you think I can use my current lights since it would be 4 bulbs at least until we buy better lights? (2 solarmax h.o.)

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I agree with rob. With all the info you provided, I dont see a huge issue with transplanting into the new tank.

If you can- try not to disturb the fuge too much during the switch. The fuge will offer some added stability in the tank transfer. Does it have a sand bed?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last