[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

amc78cj7 - starting over again

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default amc78cj7 - starting over again

60 Gallon GLA aquarium with center overflow
    20L custom refugium sump
    2 Reef Radiance LEDs
    2 Vortech EcoSmart MP40W powerheads
    Tunze ATO
    BRS 2-part dosing with pumps
    Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper Lite controller
    Custom cabinet I built

Why is this a "starting over" thread. Well I had a very nice mixed reef for 5+ years. Lots of SPS with beautiful growth, LPS on the sandbed, a derasa and squamosal clam, a pair of percula clowns, melanarus wrasse, leopard wrasse, Tomini Tang, Butterfly angel, yellow watchman with pistol shrimp....all very happy together. Then we traveled for 3 days during which a lightning storm blew out the power and when it came back on the ground fault popped. 2 days without heat or lights and I came home to death. Most of the LPS survived, surprisingly; but everything else was gone. It was a sad day.

Within the first week I had transferred all the survivors to a small rescue tank and began cleaning. Almost all the liverock was removed and bleached, all dead critters pulled, lots of water changes with the protein skimmer working overtime.
    By the end of the first week all water parameters were back to normal and I transferred the LPS back.
    By the end of the second week I added a sea hare, a handful of hermits, a couple turbo snails, a pair of percula clowns and an RBTA.
    By the end of the third week I added a sea cucumber, an emperor shrimp and 1000 copepods.

Thanks to Tropicorium and Ypsilanti Fish Doctors for the livestock to get back up and running.
    Last edited by amc78cj7; 08-20-2016 at 01:43 PM.

CR Member

Before Pics.

17Jan201620aquarium zpsyfajrunh  - amc78cj7 - starting over again

Aquarium20left zpshrjmtcvq - amc78cj7 - starting over again

aquarium20right zpsmfxmhjpr - amc78cj7 - starting over again

ORA Pearlberry - Looking to replace if anyone has a frag to spare

201620January200820013 zpsmcm70xc2 - amc78cj7 - starting over again

Steve Elias Stag - Looking to replace if anyone has a frag

201620January200820009 zpswngz17uz - amc78cj7 - starting over again

Tank on stand (before I finished the doors) with Kessils

2014April1Corals019 zpse6f3158d - amc78cj7 - starting over again

Sump

New20DIY20Sump zpsti4uk3uu - amc78cj7 - starting over again

CR Member

3 weeks after the crash

14086210 10210181273397882 2013710852554656680 o zps2syb46cg - amc78cj7 - starting over again

13987567 10210173430041803 8009609202385379557 o zpsi0irs23v - amc78cj7 - starting over again

13934784 10210173306678719 766822509851610037 n zpsacpi1x2q - amc78cj7 - starting over again

14089267 10210173117153981 3447352819612185904 n zpspxcdn5be - amc78cj7 - starting over again

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I am looking forward to seeing the rebuild
    Likes that Reef Guy liked this post

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Glad your staying in the game. Are you going to add a generator?

that Reef Guy - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Steve
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Sorry to hear about that.

That is Terrible.

I am also glad you are staying in and not giving up like so many do in these situations.

I look forward to rebuild pics too.

One Tip I have for People is that I added a Home Security System.

When I am away from Home I look at my Tanks through my Phone to make sure the Power is On at Home and everything is looking good.

I was just told that there are things you can buy that you plug into the wall and if the power goes out it will keep sending you texts, e-mails, call you over and over again if the power goes out.

If you have the money you can also get an Apex (I know an Apex will call you if say your Tank gets too Hot but I am not sure if it will call you when the power goes out though - Hopefully somebody can answer that for us).

I know if you are away you personally can't do anything to fix the problem but at least you can call somebody who can come over and fix things.

And if the Power is On you get Peace of Mind that everything is OK when you are away and you will not have to worry.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by that Reef Guy View Post
    If you have the money you can also get an Apex (I know an Apex will call you if say your Tank gets too Hot but I am not sure if it will call you when the power goes out though - Hopefully somebody can answer that for us).

Yes it will, but you have to have backup power to the router and modem (with internet service) and the apex. Otherwise you will get a notification when the power comes back on. Or if you setup with reeftronics @RussM , it will send you notifications when communications are interrupted.

that Reef Guy - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Steve
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    Yes it will, but you have to have backup power to the router and modem (with internet service) and the apex. Otherwise you will get a notification when the power comes back on. Or if you setup with reeftronics @RussM , it will send you notifications when communications are interrupted.
    Good to know Jim.