[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Badfish's Hand Built 45g Rimless Starphire Tank

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 10 First 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
    Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

The 7/14 scape look good. My only suggestion is to move the roundish top rock over to the right (so it sits in the groove of the rocks below). I think it would look even better if it was not in the center of the tank.

I totally agree on the live rock... it should be live!

Tom

Badfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Pat

A box O critters showed up to the door on the 13th, I order the mix n match special from : : : : Indo-Pacific Sea Farms : : : : .
    140805 - Badfish's Hand Built 45g Rimless Starphire Tank
    I Picked -
    6 Baby Bristle Worms (captive-bred)
    WonderMud
    Liquid N-Reducer
    6 Nerite Grazers
    6 Adult Strombus Grazers (captive-bred)
    6 MicroHermits
    3 Adult Hermits
    Reef Amphipods (20 specimens)
    Live Sand Activator (includes live sand, 6 Grazing snails, 6 MicroHermits and tiny worms)

152536 - Badfish's Hand Built 45g Rimless Starphire Tank
    153227 - Badfish's Hand Built 45g Rimless Starphire Tank
    154654 - Badfish's Hand Built 45g Rimless Starphire Tank

The also gave me another free Reef Amphipods (20 specimens) which has a small piece of Tang Heaven Red
    which the pods come attached to, so thats another free be that went in the fuge.
    142316 - Badfish's Hand Built 45g Rimless Starphire Tank

This was another awesome choice for my tank, after adding everything AND already having LR my tank has exploded with life. I needed a CUC anyways and this came to around the same price, the packing was clean and everything showed up alive and healthy, again very happy with this buy.

Before adding the IPSF pack I had no critters
    160821 - Badfish's Hand Built 45g Rimless Starphire Tank

Now my tank is over run with life and everything already seems to be benefiting.
    142356 - Badfish's Hand Built 45g Rimless Starphire Tank
    234212 - Badfish's Hand Built 45g Rimless Starphire Tank
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

First Name
    Pat

I took my LR out to add the wondermud and the critters to my sand bed, so this was the perfect time to do a little aquascaping (my favorite). My first attempt was a little to abstract, I was going for a pillar / shelf vibe but I thought it was too much,
    142415 - Badfish's Hand Built 45g Rimless Starphire Tank
    Then my wife saw it and told me it was too much.

So with her help we came up this, with more of a cave/arch layout, I think it turned out better the second time around.
    182216 - Badfish's Hand Built 45g Rimless Starphire Tank
    182251 - Badfish's Hand Built 45g Rimless Starphire Tank

062508 - Badfish's Hand Built 45g Rimless Starphire Tank
    A little moon light action.
    225047 - Badfish's Hand Built 45g Rimless Starphire Tank
    Last edited by Badfish; 07-18-2011 at 04:54 PM.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I'm just using cheato with a small piece of LR~my lil fuge is packed with copods I, like you am running reverse lighting from the DT~11pm to 8am on a timer.

BadFish, your tank is the bomb!!! Love the rock work. You've totally started your tank out right...you should be proud
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

First Name
    Pat

Thanks Miz, I just have to problems I am facing now. One is that my water is really cloudy and doesnt seem to be clearing up. Im not running any carbon yet. I did add some strips of a cut up carbon filter pad in my sump sock for now but I don't think its working well.

The other problem is really more of an annoyance, I have so many critters in there that the sails are constantly trying to escape, and since its a rimless they do! I usually find one or two day on the outside of my glass, I just toss them back in. Oh well, thats what i get for building a rimless

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

It's not your tank darlin lol-what are your parameters reading? Is it all snails or just one type that are trying to escape?
    For the cloudy water I'd throw a HOB or canister filter filled with carbon on for a couple days.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

First Name
    Pat

My tank has had quite a week, on Monday we lost power for a day, and then Wednesday we lost the A/C... for the 2 hottest days of the year. The good thing is my back-up plans work great; I have an auto natural gas generator that came with the house so the tank is wired to that, and I have it located in my basement in a room with no windows, we kept it closed off so the temp in the basement never reached over 76 even when it was over 100 out side!

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    It's not your tank darlin lol-what are your parameters reading? Is it all snails or just one type that are trying to escape?
    For the cloudy water I'd throw a HOB or canister filter filled with carbon on for a couple days.
    Its just some little snail, its not really a problem, I just toss them back in the tank when i see them trying to make a run for it.

My water parameters are all right where they should be except my pH is a little low, it's 7.8 and my Alk is 7 dKH. The pH of the water when I mix it is always 8.3 so I think its a problem with Gauss exchange... I think.
    I am still toying around with the tank and sump to try different ways raise the pH and clear up the water. I was thinking this as a solution to both
    JBJ EFU-25 Reactor Canister Filter w/UV, up to 100 gal. - AquaCave

I would just run Carbon and maybe Purigen (no bio filtration i have enough LR for that) to clear up the water and then the discharge would be aimed at the water surface of my sump to help with the gas exchange. I think that would help with both problems but i am totally open to other suggestions.
    Last edited by Badfish; 07-23-2011 at 10:16 AM.

First Name
    Pat

So rather than throw money at a new canister filter I just bought a bag of carbon and tossed it in my filter sock, it seems to be working for now. I also added another power head to the sump and aimed it at the surface to help with gas exchange and hopefully raise the PH.
    A few pic updates to the tank,
    AND I FINALLY HAVE FISH!
    162812 - Badfish's Hand Built 45g Rimless Starphire Tank
    I have a total of 5 tanks and 0 of them have had fish until now. Nothing too fancy just 4 green chriomes, I wanted a school of something and these guys are doing great, all 4 are eating and healthy. Their names are Roger, Pete, John and Keith.(Can you guess where those names came from?)
    I
    add a few more things too,
    Ric
    153047 - Badfish's Hand Built 45g Rimless Starphire Tank
    Acan
    181259 - Badfish's Hand Built 45g Rimless Starphire Tank
    Hydnophora sp
    152839 - Badfish's Hand Built 45g Rimless Starphire Tank
    a nicely sized Lobo
    163650 - Badfish's Hand Built 45g Rimless Starphire Tank
    Another Sick Acan
    152706 - Badfish's Hand Built 45g Rimless Starphire Tank
    And some unknown Palys I thought were AOGs.(If anyone knows what kind they think they are please let me know).
    152748 - Badfish's Hand Built 45g Rimless Starphire Tank
    I have been notice crazy new growth on most of the macro I thought was going to die off.
    152239 - Badfish's Hand Built 45g Rimless Starphire Tank

The Harley was added to the sump because I do not want to bother with having to put C.chips stars (their favorite, but very non-reef safe, meals) in my DT. Im hoping in a few months to get a nice big female to pair him with, looks like he will have to learn to share.
    151843 - Badfish's Hand Built 45g Rimless Starphire Tank
    One last pic, this is my favorite view of the tank
    140649 - Badfish's Hand Built 45g Rimless Starphire Tank

rosebud161616 - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Erika
    Awards Nano Contest Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Badfish View Post
    And some unknown Palys I thought were AOGs.(If anyone knows what kind they think they are please let me know).
    152748 - Badfish's Hand Built 45g Rimless Starphire Tank
    Those look like Gobstoppers to me!
    Likes Badfish liked this post

First Name
    Pat

YES SIR! Those be them alrighty. That was fast, almost too fast......

THANKS!!

Page 3 of 10 First 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last