[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

CalmSeasQuest

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... Last
    CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

Default CalmSeasQuest's Big Blue Wall (96X30X22)

Greetings all,

I've been away from CR for the past year or so as family and business demanded all my available time. I've finally reached a point where I have some time to devote to the reef-keeping hobby (addiction.)

Over the past 20 years, I've built and kept a variety of smaller reef tanks including a series of rather "unique" desktop tanks. I finally have an opportunity for a larger build. This system is being placed in the living of my home with ATO and AWC equipment directly below the tank in the basement. It should end up around 325 gallons.
    Here's the current equipment list:

• Tank -- GLA 270 (96" X 30 X 22) 1/2" Starphire, open top w/clear cross bracing fitted with a BeanAnimal style internal overflow (3X1.5" drains)
    • Sump -- GLA 72X24X18, 135 gallon glass sump, center return with 30X24 refugeum
    • Lighting, Display tank -- Kessil 360WEs, (5-7) controlled by the Apex
    • Lighting, Sump/Refugeum - YTBD
    • Return Pump -- Fluval SP6 135W @ 3434 GPH feeding return, refugeum and manifold
    • Controller - Apex Aquacontroller, w/various modules.
    • Skimmer -- Bubble King Double Cone 250 w/Vertex Vectra Engine automated neck cleaner
    • Calcium reactor -- GEO 612 w/Tropic Eden and NeoMag. Aquarium Plants digital regulator
    • Kalk Reactor -- 40Gal still well fed by ATO peristaltic pump
    • Saltwater Make-up and storage - 2X200 gallon Norwesco 30X72" tanks, fed and mixed by Waveline 12000 (backup for return pump)
    • Continous Water Change (CWC) - Cole-Parmer Masterflex w/dual peristaltic pumps
    • ATO -- Osmolator water sensor using Cole-Parmer peristaltic pump.
    • Water movement - YTBD likely a combination of MP60s and WP60s
    • Rock -- BRS Pukani and shelf
    • Substrate -- 1.5"-2" Tropic Eden Reef Flakes
    • Heaters -- 2X 300W Eheim-JAGER TS, 1 Cobalt NeoTherm 200W
    • GFO/GAC -- YTBD (Vertex or MR1) dual reactors running HiCap GFO and ROX .08 GAC as needed
    • BioPellets - YTBD
    • UV - YTBD
    • Ozone - YTBD

The tank was ordered 12/16/13, expected tank and stand build time about 6 weeks. There's a lot to get done in the interim including,

- Relocate 2 existing tanks, remove hung LED lighting, repair and paint
    - Remove carpeting and tile tank area
    - Complete water RO/DI storage, Saltwater mixing, CWC and ATO station in basement

I expected to have to do some floor strengthening, but was pleasantly surprised to find it was not necessary. I had the tank location reviewed by a structural engineer. The tank will sit perpendicular to 5 2X10 joists spanning only 48" between the poured basement wall and steel I-beam. Nothing additional was recommended as the intended location will support 5500lbs.

Lots of decisions still pending including final decisions on lighting, overflow and sump design. This will also be my first attempt as hard-plumbing. I figured I'd start with the saltwater mixing station hoping to make the beginner mistakes there rather than on the tank.

For those that might be wondering about the "Big Blue Wall" thread title -- I'm planning on painting the wall behind the tank a cobalt blue (the rest of the room is white.) As the Kessil pendants put out an incredible amount of shimmer, and this tank is open-top, I'm hopeful it might turn the entire wall into an interesting, shimmery backdrop for the tank.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and for all the questions and advice I'll no doubt be asking for.
    Last edited by CalmSeasQuest; 02-14-2014 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Equipment updates
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default CalmSeasQuest

Hi @CalmSeasQuest !! Wow talk about a re-entry! Lol I for one am very happy to see you back & doing what you do best. Building a new setup! Yahoooo!! Subscribed!

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Awesome can't wait to see the is build!
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Welcome back, Tom! I can't wait to see what you do with this. Plans all sound stellar so far.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Sounds likes a great start!!

pinhigh1886 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    John

Sounds awesome! Can't wait to see some progress!

This should be good! Welcome back Tom!

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Good to hear you fell off the wagon. Please keeps us posted with lots of pictures. Oh, since no one else asked... what are your stocking plans?

Tom

fishtal - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tal
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

I wondered what you had been up to. Welcome back.
    Save a fish, Breed your own!
    www.fishtalpropagations.com

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

Thanks all, It's good to be back

As for the plans for this tank, I'm largely undecided. I really enjoyed the time I spent learning about planted tanks, Iwagumi in particular. I'm thinking about trying to incorporate some of those design cues into this tank - especially the use of negative space. Here's an example of the hardscape I created that I likes so much, it sits dry and as-is in my living room...

af7c81bff4269f5a3739a6528efc6c71 1 - CalmSeasQuest

Obviously a reef tank will look dramatically different, but I bet I can find a way to incorporate some of the "feel" of it. I've got a couple hundred pounds of pukani and shelf that I've accumulated over the years to choose from.

Another absolute luxury I'm still trying to wrap my head around is the pure amount of space available both in the tank and sump. Equipment wise, it allows me to go with whatever is desired without worrying if it will fit. As for stocking, it will be SPS dominant. Fish selection itself will be a lot of fun as I've never had the luxury of an 8'X30" of swimming space. The only sure thing is I want to find a female companion for my Red Mandarin (George) who has been with me for more than 4 years. All the rest will have to be decided with my daughter Tori probably having final approval power - Anthias, a pair of Picassos, it will be fun choosing I suspect the king-of-the-tank will likely be an Achilles, but that won't happen until much later.

A bit of an update -

It seems I underestimated the amount of room these twin 200 gallon tanks and associated mixing/CTW plumbing was going to require. As a result, I've had to remove a series of storage racks and turn a rarely used second guest room in the basement into a permanent storage facility.

I completed a rough design and placed the plumbing orders from Savko, USPlastic and Cole-Parmer. It took far more hours to think through the saltwater mixing station design than I anticipated and then even more to figure out each individual plumbing component. No doubt it contains lots of newby-plumber mistakes, but I think it will be functional. I stepped down from the 2" tank outlet to 1 1/4 to match the inlet/outlet size on the DC 1050 pump. I'll post a picture (trying to develop some Sketchup skills) otherwise it will be simple drawing with hopes someone with more experience can critique.

The storage tanks should arrive next week - Let the plumbing learning curve begin
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
    Likes MizTanks, Dmmz liked this post

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... Last