[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

CalmSeasQuest

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 14 First 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... Last
    CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

In finalizing the designs for the saltwater mixing station, I'm reconsidering the use of a Kalk reactor.

Years back I read a great article written by Randy Holmes-Farley on the benefits of adding vinegar to fortify Kalk. Since then, I've had success adding vinegar to Kalk, both to increase the amount of available calcium and as an added carbon source. I attribute this process (in addition to the use of DSBs) to my never having any nitrate issues. As this will be my first large tank with a SSB, I want to do all I can to maximize biological filtration - including the use of vinegar. The use of a Kalk reactor makes that more complicated. Instead, I plan on adding a covered 40 gallon brute to the mixing/storage station which will be fed by the RO/DI storage tank and hold an over-saturation of Kalk to which Vinegar can be dosed. This will be the ATO source.

This will allow me to continue using Vinegar, eliminate the cost of another reactor and most importantly - save space in the cabinet. It will also forestall the need for a larger CaRx and likely remove entirely the need for a bio-pellet reactor (Anecdotally, I found no benefits when I tested adding Bio-Pellets concurrently with vinegar dosing.)

Adding yet another water container will be a tight fit in the basement, but I think the benefits outweigh the inconvenience, and if for some reason it fails to perform as expected, I can always add the Kalk Reactor.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

CR Member
    First Name
    Gary

Pretty sweet! Following this build.

First Name
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by sugargary View Post
    Pretty sweet! Following this build.
    Thanks Gary!

Made a bit of progress (sorry for the cell cam pics)...

The first DC12000 arrived - it looks tiny next to the 200G tanks...
    20131231 124510 - CalmSeasQuest

Most of the plumbing is mocked up - I'm missing one union to account for the 1 1/2" intake in the Waveline. I installed a 4X8 3/4" plywood wall that will be painted white upon which the water treatment equipment and electrical will be installed. A shelf will hold the Masterflex pumps. The 40 gallon brute will serve as a still reservoir holding Kalk for the ATO...

20131231 124411 - CalmSeasQuest

I picked up a 100g stock tank to aid in cleaning/curing the Pukani and will serve as a temp holding tank for my current livestock when I tear down the two existing tanks.
    20131231 124255 - CalmSeasQuest
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

Tom Toro - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tom

Great build to watch! Looking forward to the progress and I'm glad you're back in. First class setup!
    240g Great Lakes Glass! ETSS1400/panworld250,LED 120wX4 AJM, LED,2x sunbrite ,Tunzex4/,200gal sump/mixed reef/Biopellets. Hammerhead return. UV 57w. Chiller.

135g down and given to a buddy. New pic after the wall is repaired.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Wasting no time, I see!

First Name
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by creefer View Post
    Wasting no time, I see!
    Poco a poco

Got a few more things done, most importantly...
    20140101 100644 1 - CalmSeasQuest
    Very soon - there will be NO more buckets :D

I fitted this Masterflex peristaltic pump with two pump heads which turn about a single shaft. This allows them to move very close to identical liquid volumes with very little maintenance (such as having to calibrate pumps and take-apart pump heads to perform periodic maintenance as is required in systems such as the Litermeter III.) By simply reversing the direction in which the tubing is placed in the pump head, you can have one pump "push" while the other "pulls"

This will drive the continuous water change system (CWC) - One head will remove old saltwater from the return section of the sump, while the other simultaneously adds the exact amount of new saltwater to the return section. Depending on the final lengths of each run, there may be a small difference in the exact volumes pumped. If this occurs, I'll use an pinch or IV style ramp clamp to slightly impede the faster of the two line.

Based on the amount of water being exchanged, the 200 gallon saltwater storage tank should run quite a while before requiring refilling. When the tank is new, I'll probably set it to change 20% monthly which will run for about 11 weeks before requiring refilling. As the bio-load increases, the touch of a button increases the amount of water exchanged to whatever is desired.

I've found these pumps to be nearly bulletproof as they are designed for constant duty. I've had one feeding a CaRx 24/7 for almost 5 years with no maintenance whatsoever (even the tubing is original as it runs at very low RPM.) In theory it should be provide stability for the tank and be a "set it and forget" style system (at least for a couple months at a time.)
    Last edited by CalmSeasQuest; 01-02-2014 at 06:19 AM.
    Likes creefer liked this post

First Name
    Thomas

Prior to beginning any work on the saltwater station, I had to clear out all the items collected over the last 22 years that were stored that part of the furnace room...

20140104 103507 - CalmSeasQuest

I sacrificed a rarely used guest room in the basement, converting it into a storage facility....
    20140104 110658 - CalmSeasQuest

Now with the area cleared, I could begin...
    20140101 115840 - CalmSeasQuest

Area tiled, mounting area for water treatment equipment and pumps sealed...
    20140104 103535 - CalmSeasQuest

Tanks put back in place...
    20140104 105545 - CalmSeasQuest

Bottom manifold completed and installed...
    20140104 131121 - CalmSeasQuest

20140104 131018 - CalmSeasQuest

Still have to drill the tops of the tanks and complete the upper manifold. Then I can begin moving the RO/DI equipment into place.
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Nice work, Tom. Let me know if you ever need a hand. I'm pretty close and happy to help.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

That master flex pump is sweet! Looking really good ! Where did you find the masterflex pumps? Your idea really has me thinking.

Coral Frenzy - Reefkeeper CR Sponsor
    First Name
    Ken

Great Build! Good to see you back!

Page 3 of 14 First 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... Last