[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

DBarsotti's Tank On A Hill

Bookmark and Share
Page 4 of 12 First ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last
    XSiVE - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

woohoo! I cant wait to see how you set it all up, your SPS won't know what to do with all that room.

CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by XSiVE View Post
    woohoo! I cant wait to see how you set it all up, your SPS won't know what to do with all that room.

Yeah this is a big change and i'm waaaay pumped for it. I pretty much have everything I need to set up this new system, aside from new sand, and a sump. The next month is going to kill me waiting to put everything in it.

shovelhead91701 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Shawn

you may have made me a believer in sps only tanks...WOW man! The old setup was beautiful! Can't wait to see the new one!
    The days are long and the work is difficult but every night I sleep as a man who has achieved his goals.

CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by shovelhead91701 View Post
    you may have made me a believer in sps only tanks...WOW man! The old setup was beautiful! Can't wait to see the new one!
    Thanks!

heres the new tank after a serious cleaning, it has a LOT more scratches than i originally thought, I am going to try and buff them out i think. I don't really even care about the scratches anyway tho, i just want more room!

Here is it.
    photo1 6 - DBarsotti's Tank On A Hill

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

WOW! The tank is pretty nice too! LOL Are you like 8 feet tall or are you going to use a step stool to get in that bad boy?
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

XSiVE - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by ReeferRob View Post
    WOW! The tank is pretty nice too! LOL Are you like 8 feet tall or are you going to use a step stool to get in that bad boy?
    LOL i have the same size tank and am 6'2, I use a stepstool if I want to (comfortablly) get to the sand bed to make any changes..

CR Member

Ha yeah, I am going to cut the stand down a foot.. or two. It think its cool that tall so you don't have to bend over to look in.. but, #1 my livingroom is tiny so that thing would look HUGE in there, #2 The tank is usually enjoyed as we sit on the couch watching tv so it needs to be low, and #3 I always have my hands in the tank so thats not going to work for me.

Has anyone had success removing scratches from glass??

adalius - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Josh

I've seen it done a couple ways, haven't done it myself. Depends how daring you are.

You can rub it with hydrochloric acid, usually a 20% solution, and if you're careful not to go too deep and very careful about cleaning up any acid that drips you can get the scratch out with that. Basically you dip a cotton ball in some and rub it over the scratch, douse with water to thin the acid out, check if it's gone yet, if not, repeat from step 1. I'd suggest gloves for this. It won't eat through your hand in 10 seconds or anything but prolonged exposure isn't fun.

You can use Jewler's Rouge (cerium oxide), which is basically like rubbing compound you'd use on your car, it's a super super fine grit paste that will pull out most scratches that aren't too deep. Deep ones it won't do much to except make them less deep. You'd be best off using a drill and a buffing head if you go this route as it's extremely slow and labor intensive.

Both of these methods can weaken the glass as you're thinning it, but if you're careful it shouldn't be any worse than the weakening caused by the scratch in the first place, especially since you're removing the sharp transition from normal to scratch and making it a smooth transition.

Lastly, who's the babe in the picture?

CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by adalius View Post
    I've seen it done a couple ways, haven't done it myself. Depends how daring you are.

You can rub it with hydrochloric acid, usually a 20% solution, and if you're careful not to go too deep and very careful about cleaning up any acid that drips you can get the scratch out with that. Basically you dip a cotton ball in some and rub it over the scratch, douse with water to thin the acid out, check if it's gone yet, if not, repeat from step 1. I'd suggest gloves for this. It won't eat through your hand in 10 seconds or anything but prolonged exposure isn't fun.

You can use Jewler's Rouge (cerium oxide), which is basically like rubbing compound you'd use on your car, it's a super super fine grit paste that will pull out most scratches that aren't too deep. Deep ones it won't do much to except make them less deep. You'd be best off using a drill and a buffing head if you go this route as it's extremely slow and labor intensive.

Both of these methods can weaken the glass as you're thinning it, but if you're careful it shouldn't be any worse than the weakening caused by the scratch in the first place, especially since you're removing the sharp transition from normal to scratch and making it a smooth transition.
    Lastly, who's the babe in the picture?
    Thanks for the input, very helpful, i think i'm going to go with the rouge method since the scratches are really shallow, I'll definitely post some pictures when i do it.

Ha, thats my very helpful/beautiful girlfriend who helped scrape and clean the whole tank with me.

adalius - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Josh

Lucky, I can barely get my wife to put her dishes in the sink on a regular basis, let alone help me with my tank, her tank, or her betta bowl.

Page 4 of 12 First ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last