[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

ETBReefer's GBI (Getting back in) Reef

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... Last
    ETBReefer05 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Eric

Default ETBReefer's GBI (Getting back in) Reef

Ladies and Gentleman,
    Reformatting this post so that its a little more organized. I will also be posting some designs, such as live rock layout and plumbing design so you can see some of my plans, here goes:
    Display Type: Mixed Reef with Clowns, Wrasses, and other smaller fish
    Display Tank: 75 Gallon Glass (48x18 footprint) DIY Drilled Overflow (Glass-holes) and Return (3/4 inch PVC)

Live Rock: 45lbs in the show, perhaps more in the sump

Live Sand: Tropic Eden Reeflakes

Sump: 29 gallon (possibly changing to a short tank depending on stand)

Lighting: 6 Bulb T5 Fixture with LED Moonlights

Skimmer: Bubble Magus or Reef Octopus rated for around 150 gallons

Powerheads: Probably Koralias or Jebao WP40 Wavemaker for a total of about 1700GPH (going for 20-25x flow for return pumps and Powerheads combined)

Return Pump: Going for a 900GPH for 10x turnover (Love the Eheim pumps, so I'll go for one of those as my dream pump)
    Last edited by ETBReefer05; 07-17-2013 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Changed Layout of setup for easier reading
    "You're gonna need a bigger boat..."-Roy Scheider as "Chief Brody" in "Jaws"

Ask 10 Reefers a question and you'll get 12 opinions in return.

---ETBReefer05

First Name
    Eric

After doing some research I've decided to either do the reef breeder photon or just DIY. Do you guys think I could get away with the 36 inch model of the photon for a mixed reef at 26 inches deep?

---ETBReefer05

First Name
    Eric

Default Rock and Sand

Drawing up some ideas for rock and sand. I think that I will go light on the rock, make 3 or 4 distinct islands. If anyone has ordered from Marco rocks, is the Key Largo rock something that I could get away using 25 lbs in my display? I would also like to get a moderate sand bed, maybe 2 inches, I'm thinking I'll do two 30lb bags...any input is appreciated since I haven't done this in a minute...

---ETBReefer05

First Name
    Eric

Default Fish List

The following is a preemptive fish list and includes a few more fish than I intend to keep, I will narrow it down when the time comes and obviously, I will probably be a little more spontaneous in my selection, however this gives me some guidelines!

Rhomboidalis Wrasse
    Lemonpeel-Halfback Hybrid
    Neon Blue Damsel OR Orangetail Blue Damsel
    Psuedochromis
    Cardinal Fish
    Firefish
    Flame Hawkfish
    Kole Yellow Eye Tang
    Midas Blenny
    Mystery Wrasse
    2 Clownfish (Probably Tal's Black Occelaris)
    Solon Wrasse
    Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
    McCosker's Wrasse

---ETBReefer05

Quote Originally Posted by ETBReefer05 View Post
    Drawing up some ideas for rock and sand. I think that I will go light on the rock, make 3 or 4 distinct islands. If anyone has ordered from Marco rocks, is the Key Largo rock something that I could get away using 25 lbs in my display? I would also like to get a moderate sand bed, maybe 2 inches, I'm thinking I'll do two 30lb bags...any input is appreciated since I haven't done this in a minute...
    I would strongly recommend live rock. I have had several customers use dry rock and had continuous problems with cyano and diatoms. The customers who cash in a switched to live rock had the problems go away almost immediately while the more stubborn are still fighting the problems. Dry rock is cheaper but it isn't better.

First Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
    I would strongly recommend live rock. I have had several customers use dry rock and had continuous problems with cyano and diatoms. The customers who cash in a switched to live rock had the problems go away almost immediately while the more stubborn are still fighting the problems. Dry rock is cheaper but it isn't better.
    Thanks Andy, I will definitely consider this. My first two tanks were live rock to which I added some DIY rock that Chris made. I have never used Dry rock, and it seems now that I've looked around the interwebs that live rock is the way to go so that I don't leach tons of phosphates.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I would suggest not adding these fish:

Lemonpeel-Halfback Hybrid Very high risk of picking at pretty much all types of corals
    Neon Blue Damsel OR Orangetail Blue Damsel Highly aggressive, especially as they grow.... and when it is harder to get the out of the tank
    Flame Hawkfish will perch on and irritate corals, can become aggressive as well
    Mystery Wrasse aggressive, especially towards other wrasses

A couple fish to consider IMO:

Lyretail Anthias Nice color, add alot of activity to the tank, hardier then many other anthias
    Leopard wrasse nice colors, decently active, will help protect corals from pests, just all around cool fish IMO
    Yellow coris wrasse hard to beat color, active reef guardian

Also, adding a couple flasher wrasses instead of just the one would make them flash more, the Dot dash/line spot flasher and/or Yellow Fin flasher would be nice additions with the McCoskers IMO.
    Thanks Chris, always appreciate the input. I knew that the smaller angels picked at corals, but is the lemonpeel much different from a Coral Beauty or Flame Angel? I've had a coral beauty before and he picked at a particular soft coral in my tank for a few weeks and then stopped once he acclimated to the feeding patterns.
    I had heard that damsels were agressive, but I thought only toward each other (more research required)
    Hawk fish I had not thought of as being a problem in a reef, but when you put it that way, I will reconsider, last thing I need is my corals being bumped around the tank. Also, I know certain wrasses are aggressive toward other wrasses. IMO, I would rather have the more tame wrasses, but I seek after wrasses that will also add flair and color. Most wrasses fit the colorful bill so I will research compatibility and after looking a little, will highly consider the yellow coris!

---ETBReefer05

First Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I've never made any DIY rock, I have a few pieces that I think were man made but not by myself.
    Yeah, that, I know you had some shelf pieces that you had given me.

---ETBReefer05

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
    Ah not sure I agree with that one. Dry rock done incorrectly is harder I would agree with. My newest system I used all Marco rocks dry rock. I have yet to have diatoms,alge ,really any issues and the system will be a year old soon.If you want to avoid hitch hackers and start with solid parasite control I.e. red bugs,flat worms,AEFW and the list just goes on and on start with dry rock . The key to starting with dry rock is to use a quality enzyme treatment as soon as you get the water salty and let it cycle for gods sake !! I even used dry rock in my fuge this time. I used enzyme 9 and just followed the instructions and waited for the ammonia spike... It takes patience but is well worth it. I personally will never use live rock from a LFS or another reefer to start a tank again !! Just my .02 tho. Oh yeah the Marco rock is sweet,very porous and works great for making islands. My tank is nothing but islands. Best way to get good flow IMHO.
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

First Name
    Eric

Thanks Binford, I have been debating this since Andy made his post and I know you can be successful either way. In all truth, this will be my third tank, I have the patience to do anything I want. The liverock I used before was easy and fast, but honestly, Algae, Cyano, whatever, can happen in any tank. Certainly phosphates don't help, but I've read horror stories from the live rock and the dry rock camps. My decision certainly isn't going to be an easy one.

---ETBReefer05

Quote Originally Posted by binford4000 View Post
    Ah not sure I agree with that one. Dry rock done incorrectly is harder I would agree with. My newest system I used all Marco rocks dry rock. I have yet to have diatoms,alge ,really any issues and the system will be a year old soon.If you want to avoid hitch hackers and start with solid parasite control I.e. red bugs,flat worms,AEFW and the list just goes on and on start with dry rock . The key to starting with dry rock is to use a quality enzyme treatment as soon as you get the water salty and let it cycle for gods sake !! I even used dry rock in my fuge this time. I used enzyme 9 and just followed the instructions and waited for the ammonia spike... It takes patience but is well worth it. I personally will never use live rock from a LFS or another reefer to start a tank again !! Just my .02 tho. Oh yeah the Marco rock is sweet,very porous and works great for making islands. My tank is nothing but islands. Best way to get good flow IMHO.
    The risk of pests from liverock in my experience is wildly overblown. The risk of a never ending cycle, perpetual diatoms, dinos, and cyano with dead rock is pretty high based on the experience of every customer I have who has tried it. There are exceptions to every rule of course but your actually the first person I have heard from who has had a good experience. Most can't even grow coraline even after a year! A pest free reef is easily achievable with live rock.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... Last