[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

ETBReefer's GBI (Getting back in) Reef

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    ETBReefer05 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Eric

Water Blaster, sorry, its a return pump, heh. Also, have to call BS on the vinegar thing. I mean, vinegar is a weak acid at best and most of us use food grade vinegar which is diluted to boot. Add that to the fact that most of make another solution by adding RO/DI and what you've got is a solution that will dissolve some organics and soft minerals (calcium). Rubber could break down, but plastic won't even blink at vinegar.
    "You're gonna need a bigger boat..."-Roy Scheider as "Chief Brody" in "Jaws"

Ask 10 Reefers a question and you'll get 12 opinions in return.

---ETBReefer05

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Bubble blaster or water blaster.... the bubble blasters are skimmer pumps, water blasters are return pumps. I don't remember which ones were specifically called out on using the lesser epoxy that broke down easily, but it didnt take much vinegar or a long soak to start to effect the ones that are effected which was why I wanted to bring it up, not even just for you/chuck but anyone who "soaks" pumps as I believe powerheads were susceptible to this failure as well.
    Water Blaster5000' which is a return pump rated for 1300 gph roughly. It is a spare that I have laying around. I only soak pumps for a few days then run them for a few hours then disassemble them and clean em up. Afterwards it ran for a few hours in tap water. I have not heard of vinegar effecting plastics or epoxy resigns breaking down in distilled white vinegar. I do know if left exposed to long it will culture mold in the water solution which can cause real problems if not totally cleaned properly. I also make it a practice to check for stray voltage when running the pump in just water with a multimeter. Something I learned when Korillia's first came out.Old habits are hard to break. Thanks for the info tho.
    Likes N/A liked this post

First Name
    Eric

Fair enough lol

Sent from Tapatalk 4 on my Galaxy S4

---ETBReefer05

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

Yeah definitely don't blame you on checking for stray voltage at all on any pump.

J/W but why do you soak them for a few days anyways, even some of my pumps that I have left for longer then I should have come clean with a few hour soak and a quick hit with a cheap scrub pad or baby bottle brush (great for cleaning inside of the skimmer as well )
    I am old and get lazy so why rush it! Besides in 48 hrs everything is just mush cleans up a breeze

First Name
    Eric

So, my T5 fixture is probably a knockoff. Was on the phone with aquatic life for the last 30 minutes and we couldn't find any of the identifying marks of the company or ANY type of branding (Stripped it down to the ballasts and wires). A little irritated that I was told I was getting an aquaticlife fixture and got this Chinese ripoff. Gonna think about what I should do.

---ETBReefer05

First Name
    Eric

It works, but I feel like it's more trouble than its worth. I'll either sell it darn cheap or keep it for emergencies. Probably going to retrofit

---ETBReefer05

First Name
    Eric

Several endcaps are burnt out because they arced. Ive ordered replacements. There are also no active cooling solutions and I took it apart to see what I could do for fans which is when I realized it was a no name. Putting the thing back together was a nightmare because the metal panels didnt want to slide back together. I'm just frustrated I guess. It's a decent fixture with a built in timer.

---ETBReefer05

First Name
    Eric

Could you just take it apart and use it as a retro-fit and get good waterproof endcaps?

That's what I would do really if your thinking about going retro.... you already have the guts just got to modify it a little and it would save you a bit compared to trying to sell that cheap then buy the stuff and do it. I'd also use the silicone/waterproof wire nuts, along with the end caps
    Yeah, I could do that, but I think I'll just use the fixture as is and try to find a way to mount it in my canopy. I could cut holes in the top and run computer fans for cooling. If I run into a problem with it, I'll gut it and convert to retrofit. I guess the thing that worries me the most is the ballasts. They literally are a cream colored box with no markings whatsoever on them. In their defense, they are electronic ballasts and I think they're 175w (I see 2 ballasts for the t5s and a ballast for the LEDs) and the timer gives me independent controls for each ballast. I will just go ahead and use the fixture. I'm already going to have to replace at least 3 of the bulbs because two are older and one is an aquasun...I want all ATI, KZ, or Geismann bulbs (call me a bulb snob). So, by the time I buy a new retrofit and buy replacement bulbs I could by a new fixture. Besides, I could just use this fixture and then save up for some LEDs . I know its not always the best to switch, but I think if I start the LEDs low and slowly power them up over a few weeks, I'll be ok.

---ETBReefer05

First Name
    Eric

Worked on the Stand this weekend. Got the frame put together, but I think for weight's sake, I will put the plywood and doors on when I put the stand in place. Planning on hardwood plywood on the outside with a red cherry wood stain and some nice trim to make this stand "furniture grade." Will end this post with some pics.

My Lovely Assistant/Fiancee who helped me, along her brother, get this thing square.
    20130818 2106271 - ETBReefer's GBI (Getting back in) Reef

20130818 2106391 - ETBReefer's GBI (Getting back in) Reef

With the tank sitting. There is a small gap at one end that will be taken care of with some Owen and Corning foam insulation.

20130818 213146 RichtoneHDR1 - ETBReefer's GBI (Getting back in) Reef

20130818 213206 RichtoneHDR1 - ETBReefer's GBI (Getting back in) Reef

---ETBReefer05
    Likes MizTanks, kmbyrnes liked this post

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man

God progress !! Looks like your ready for water soon

Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last