[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Finally! A tank to be proud of...

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
    Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Very nice!!!!

cg5071 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chris

Wow thanks everyone! I wasnt blowing my own horn,lol but I am very happy with it. I still need to do a little rockwork and attach some monti frags in permenant areas. I want a larger rock in the back left area that is directly under the 250w halide. I am also setting up a frag tank to clear some floor space in there. I just got a HUGE long tenacle plate coral to place in there somewhere. I would love one of those magnetic reef shelves here for the left side also, we will see about that

I also love that piece of GSP. Unique I think. I got it from a reefer who was getting out.

I will keep updating this thread with stuff I am doing in this tank. Actually today that includes adding a 3rd 39w hot5 to the 2 I already have. I ordered some legs from ebay and they just arrived. My lights before were a clumsy looking diy,lol.

I do have info in my reef showcase but it has been a while since updating it. I need to I guess.
    for lights I have a 250w MH and 2 x 39w hot5 soon to be 3. I have several lighting areas in the tanks. Darker with both high and lower flow and the same with the bright areas. And one area of very high light.

It is a rimless 80g tank. 36" x 30" x 18" by Great Lakes Aquariums. I also bought the tank second hand. The back is painted black and the right side 30" faces my bed. The left side has some working room but is only 8" or so from the wall. It is up on a 36" x 36" x 36" home made stand. With a Gl*******s 1500gph overflow.

The 30g sump/fuge underneith connects to another 38g tank, which is becoming my super peacfull softi with seahorses, pipefish and pinkstreaked wrasses tank. In the spring I will likely add a pair of yellow headed jawfish in hopes of breeding them. The rest of the creatures in there too.

I have a total of 2500 to 3300 gph flow but will soon be changing that a little too. I got a 1" scwd and another 1200gph pump. I guess that is all for now, I can update my reef showcase when I have a little time.

If you ask though I am sure I can answer any questions you might have about it. I have photobucket it is just an extra step in the process, I guess I can use it though if it is better.

I underdose Iodine about once a week and use reef fuel as well when I remember it. In my experience it seems to help grow coraline. I do a 10% waterchange on the whole system (about 120 real gallons I would estimate ) every other week.

OOPS! It is a mixed reef so far and probably will be but I am moving the mushrooms and any other softies to the other tank. This will have zoas, lps and sps. I am really loving montis right now but the acro bug hasnt really bitten though there are a few I would sure like to collect. I wouldnt trade in my lps for them though so we all have to get along

Thanks, yes, we men do clean up well sometimes.lol.

Support the non-profit Reef Stewardship Foundation with the iSearchiGive.com search engine, donate a penny with EVERY search. Find out more information by following this link to the RSF iSearchiGive.com search program.

First Name
    chris

Pics of my new pet! The LT (edit Helio)fungia. Terrible pics but the neighbor took her camera back for the holidays.
    He was $70 but I traded in frags for him. The new LFS owner charges too high for alot of things but I can say he pays fair prices too. He mentioned that if he could he would buy all local tank raised/bred stuff. Hopefully I can help him out in that area.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by cg5071; 12-26-2010 at 11:26 AM.

Support the non-profit Reef Stewardship Foundation with the iSearchiGive.com search engine, donate a penny with EVERY search. Find out more information by following this link to the RSF iSearchiGive.com search program.

nate_newton - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Nate

Wow Chris the tank looks great. Love the big gsp rock. I need a bigger tank lol.

First Name
    chris

Thanks. Yes you do need a bigger tank I would like to go larger myself but deffinately cant and we may move next summer soooo. This one is a pretty good size for what I need. You can keep most fish you want and it has a large floor area for corals. I did keep the second (my first) tank running so that I could do a specialized one as well. The first of the yr I should be getting my pinkstreaked wrasses. The ghostfish didnt get in on this order so hopefully we can straighten that out as well. Along with some pipefish.

CR Member
    First Name
    Michelle
    Awards MBI Participant

Great job Chris! Looks incredible

You mentioned another frag rack..... have you been on this site?:

http://www.aqua-mags.com/index.html

I will be placing an order this week.... like the thought of the 3 dimensional look coming off the back wall. I still have SO MUCH space on the back I need to fill in...

Like the tank shots- great work

First Name
    chris

Thanks for the link. i saw the mag disks at brs for about the same. Guess it would depend on shipping ect. Though the shelves are a good price, might not be able to afford the other ones but they are nicer. Thanks for the comments too.

My new pet measures a full 8"+ when all stretched out and comfy. I read they were fine with their own and favias also but the welso doesnt or isnt bothered by him touching and neither are the rhodactis mushrooms. He sure takes up some space,lol.

I am also trying out the reef bugs we were talking about on another post. Any searching led to either good reviews of people that tried them or bad ones from those who hadnt tried them but their oppinion was based on who they were by. My shrimps were SO STUFFED after eating all that I thought they would explode,lol. The GSP and toadstools seemed to close up, but from being full or otherwise? Everybody seems to really like the bugs (fish/coral/shrimp) I dose at a little smaller dose than called for and deffinately less often. Every 3 days so far. Will see how they do longterm and if they contribute to my own population of pods ect. It looks an AWEFUL lot like my reef chilli, exactly actually. That would make the bugs a way better deal if going by price 12-14$ for 3/4 oz of reef chilli compared to 3 oz of reef bugs for 15-19$.

Should have some more shots coming up.

CR Member
    First Name
    Michelle
    Awards MBI Participant

Well.....if you like the Reef Bugs, send me your address thru a pm...I will send you a box, I have an extra

nate_newton - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Chelle's Ocean View Post
    Well.....if you like the Reef Bugs, send me your address thru a pm...I will send you a box, I have an extra
    Same here, I've barely touched my box. I like feeding frozen, and Brightwells Microvore & PhytoChrom

First Name
    chris

Sweet! lol. I also have Microvore. It is nice to not have to do anything before feeding but it really smells like fish,lol. I have been adding it to the mix for feeding response hopefully. I have been trying forever to get some dendros to open but they flat refuse so far. I even put them in a dish with alot of food to get them to react.

With reef chilli their recomendation is a tiny spoon that they say for every 20g, the bugs are much much more. So I am feeding about half of the recomended dose less often. I will sure take you guys up on that if I keep feeding it to my tank. thank you.

Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last