[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

The Learning Curve

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member
    First Name
    jim

Default The Learning Curve

Okay ive got a 29 gallon nano cube....it is my first attempt at saltwater reefing. the last time a saltwater tank was in the family was 45 years ago....Nobody in the family knows anything about this hobby, so i trust in the Grace of God to make this happen....Thank you Captive Reefers for your interest and concern for my success.

Picture250 - The Learning Curve

Picture266 - The Learning Curve

Picture291 - The Learning Curve

Picture293 - The Learning Curve

Picture290 - The Learning Curve

im not sure what i have here....the name of the bulbs....one is white one is blue....the light wave frequency and how it affects my critters....and how to put the lights responsibly on a timer .....can i get more led's how much and dont tell me just nanocustoms because i havent got them figured out yet...lol at least til i know what i have.

im not sure if the silly little protein skimmer is working properly its fizzing and the cup is full of water up to the fizz...
    getting this thing to work was a pain....but aint up to forking out $150 bucks on new exterior skimmer...just doing frequent water changes once every 2 weeks....5 gallons....nitrates under control.....still.....ph in check. 8.3 at night.

personal thought....would rather load tank up with filter feeders than go to exterior skimmer to keep things in balance....if possible.

i have other pumps i thingk for refugium..another hood light for exterior mounting...magnetic coral frag tray...a 10 gallon fresh water set up that im tired of.....new container of calcium....no tester yet....hey i aint no chemist. lol
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by rulost2001; 08-04-2011 at 05:53 AM.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Great looking tank! Those cubes are the best starting tanks. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

thepanfish - Reefkeeper CR Member

Those are compact fluorescents: the white one is probably 10K and the blue is either actinic or 50/50 (half white/blue). For optimal light quality, replace them every 6 to 8 months. You can retro fit the canopy into LED only, 4 or 5 ecoxotic stunner strips should be enought to light softies. An article was written in reef hobbyist detailing the steps. I ll see if I can find it.
    Good luck!

CR Member
    First Name
    jim

Quote Originally Posted by thepanfish View Post
    Those are compact fluorescents: the white one is probably 10K and the blue is either actinic or 50/50 (half white/blue). For optimal light quality, replace them every 6 to 8 months. You can retro fit the canopy into LED only, 4 or 5 ecoxotic stunner strips should be enought to light softies. An article was written in reef hobbyist detailing the steps. I ll see if I can find it.
    Good luck!
    thanks you guys

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Or you can run a clip on viper halide!
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

Nano-Newb1983 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Mark

very nice set up there.. I love the nanocubes, keep up the good work