[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Jolson10450's planted predator biocube!

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
    jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Jolson10450's planted predator biocube!

Well after moving and shutting down my old tanks i decided i cant live without a tank so i got myself a 29g biocube to make things easier than the whole system and i decided to do a predator tank. Here is a picture with some of that Tropicorium premium dry rock they have, that stuff is fantastic!! since it is dry and bleached with no dead matter on it my tank cycled in about 3 days using fresh live sand and water and rock rubble in the back chamber. (for size reference the rock on the right is 10x10x10 approx)

IMAG0253 - Jolson10450's planted predator biocube!

after reading about a few fish to put in the predator tank i decided i wanted to angler! I picked up this guy at reef solutions through a trade, he is about 1.5" if that:
    IMAG0278 - Jolson10450's planted predator biocube!
    IMAG0281 - Jolson10450's planted predator biocube!
    Waving:
    IMAG0282 - Jolson10450's planted predator biocube!

I also got this orange toadfish about 4.5" from them through the trade as well, i am still afraid he will eat the angler but i am keeping him fed so hopefully it doesnt happen:
    IMAG0276 - Jolson10450's planted predator biocube!
    IMAG0277 - Jolson10450's planted predator biocube!
    IMAG0283 - Jolson10450's planted predator biocube!

i decided i really wanted to do some coral so i will probably get a few z's and p's but i really want to do a planted tank. i have the crappy biocube skimmer and we all know those things work like garbage so i decided to get some macros and saltwater plants for the tank to help overcome the horrible feeding habbits of these fish. The macros/plants will help eat the bad nitrates and phosphates left behind so hopefully i can maintain good water quality. I put in an order for 5 different varieties yesterday and i am also picking up 2 other reef plants today from a buddy. i will post new pictures of the fish in the tank later today and also with some of the plants in when i get them.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Likes AJ :), MizTanks liked this post

AJ :) - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    aj

Cool fish!
    It will be interesting to see how this all works out for you.

My son is always bugging me for weird predator fish.

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin

Both fish are eating, so far the angler has only ate guppies but the toadfish will eat guppies, krill and goldfish. I will try some PE mysis on the angler this weekend. I havent tried ghost shrimp because my local store has been out.

Here is a video of the angler eating a guppy during acclimation, if you pay close attention at the beginning of the video he is flicking his lure!

VIDEO0004.mp4 video by boonesville - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://vid476...e/VIDEO0004.mp4@@AMEPARAM@@vid476@@AMEPARAM@@476@@AMEPARAM@@rr12 6/boonesville/VIDEO0004@@AMEPARAM@@mp4

---------- Post added at 08:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by AJ :) View Post
    Cool fish!
    It will be interesting to see how this all works out for you.

My son is always bugging me for weird predator fish.
    i have always wanted to but always had a reef! finally i get some different fun!! It should all go good, i got the reefkeeper on it so it keeps everything good and steady. i will post more as i get the plants and stuff. i still want 1 more thing just not quite sure what yet, thinking a small snowflake eel.
    Last edited by jimsflies; 12-24-2011 at 05:12 AM. Reason: fixed link to embed video
    Likes Sir Patrick, MizTanks liked this post

CR Member
    First Name
    Ryan

HA thats bad ***

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Never seen a toad fish before. Looks cool. But I have to say, I don't think putting that in with your 1.5-inch frog fish is is a good idea at all.

I fixed your video link as well. When linking to the video, just include the URL with no other code. The site automagically will embed the vid.

bigbill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill
    Awards Grow Out King - 2011 Grow Out Contest Photo of the Month MBI Participant

seen this guy in Pearson what a fish gl with the new tank bud
    I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    Steve Irwin
    mbisite.org/mbi_sig.aspx?u=bigbill&img=2

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    Never seen a toad fish before. Looks cool. But I have to say, I don't think putting that in with your 1.5-inch frog fish is is a good idea at all.

I fixed your video link as well. When linking to the video, just include the URL with no other code. The site automagically will embed the vid.
    thanks jim! and he isnt 1.5" he is 4.5" lol! so far he has ran right in front of his face but didnt eat him. i think he likes swimming fish more. i also keep him pretty well fed so he hopefully doesnt! im keeping my fingers crossed!

and thanks bill! they are sweettt!

also, a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone out there today!!

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I re-read your first post ...so, how big is the frog fish?

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

I was looking at the posted sizes and it says your angler is 1.5" and the toad is 4.5" if that is correct the angler will probably become dinner at some point. Hope not but it is a distinct possibility. Get a clear acrylic rod and use it to feed thawed krill to both the toad and angler this is how I fed my angler after a while I was feeding him cubes of formula 2 (i think thats right) with the rod he loved it, no more worring about the ability to get feeders. Also becarful with feeding fresh water feeders to them. Its kinda like feeding brine shrimp all the time with the added threat of infection. One more bit of knowledge before I go ( i found this out the hard way) dont let the angler ingest air, keep them submersed at all times. If they ingest air they can not expel it and will bloat and die.
    Two really incredible fish I hope they do well for you. Good luck.
    "The beatings will continue until morale improves."

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by iyachtuxivm View Post
    I was looking at the posted sizes and it says your angler is 1.5" and the toad is 4.5" if that is correct the angler will probably become dinner at some point. Hope not but it is a distinct possibility. Get a clear acrylic rod and use it to feed thawed krill to both the toad and angler this is how I fed my angler after a while I was feeding him cubes of formula 2 (i think thats right) with the rod he loved it, no more worring about the ability to get feeders. Also becarful with feeding fresh water feeders to them. Its kinda like feeding brine shrimp all the time with the added threat of infection. One more bit of knowledge before I go ( i found this out the hard way) dont let the angler ingest air, keep them submersed at all times. If they ingest air they can not expel it and will bloat and die.
    Two really incredible fish I hope they do well for you. Good luck.
    Thanks for the tip! the toadfish eats like a hog, he doesnt care if i use tongs or not he will still eat, i will for sure try the clear acrylic rod for the angler though! that is a fantastic idea! and when i feed freeze dried i be sure to pinch all of the air out of the food before feeding it. I have a feeling he will become dinner too but i try to feed the toad twice a day (most places say 2-3 times per week) just to be sure he is always full so he doesnt try to eat the angler. i think i have a good chance since the angler hardly moves, the toad likes stuff that is active so unless the angler decides to get up and swim right in front of his mouth i think we should be good. only time will tell though! thanks for the tip!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last