[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

dcmartinpc's 225 In Wall Deep Dimension Build

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
    dcmartinpc - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Don

Default dcmartinpc's 225 In Wall Deep Dimension Build

I am finally getting another big tank! I used to run a 180 in my basement before it was finished, but it never got the love or attention it deserved. I only saw the tank when I fed the fish... I am currently running a 60 Cube and a 35 "Corner Hex" in my living room on the main level. Once this new aquarium is setup, I will be taking down and selling the 60 cube.

New (Used) Tank is a 225 Gallon Miracles 5x3x2 (60x36x24) - Front Panel Starfire - All 1/2" Glass.

I absolutely LOVE the dimensions. I have always wanted a deep tank!

I will be picking up the tank this Saturday. I went ahead and got some glass vacuum suction cups to make the move as easy as possible.

The tank will be lit by a pair of 400 watt Radiums on a dual PFO HQI ballast likely in LumenBright Mini pendants to start. I will be adding 4 - 48" T5's once I get everything up and running and shutdown the 60 cube.

Everything will drain into my existing 150 gallon Rubbermaid Sump. I am using an ETSS 1400XR skimmer driven by an Iwaki 100 and I will continue running bio-pellets in this system with my Reef Dynamics BPR500e reactor.

I will be utilizing a combination of types of flow on this aquarium. I will be running a full siphon on 1 of the 1.5" drain lines in the overflow with the other available for an emergency drain and using a Super Dart Gold as the return pump. I also plan on a closed loop for this system. I will be starting with a RLSS Waveline DC-12000 on the closed loop. I will also be running a pair of Vortech MP40wES on each end of the aquarium.

Other than the 2 holes in the bottom of the overflow, the aquarium has 3 other holes already drilled for 3/4" bulkheads in the back of the tank. I will be enlarging 2 of those holes and putting a valve on the 3rd to keep for possible future use, maybe a drain...

The following diagram lays out my drilling plan.

Orange (Return) - Existing holes that will be enlarged.
    Gray - New holes for Closed Loop.
    Blue - Existing hole to be closed with a valve.

22020Aquarium20Drilling20Back20 20Final L - dcmartinpc's 225 In Wall Deep Dimension Build

Any thoughts on the drilling plan are appreciated. Am I far enough away from all edges? Are each of the holes far enough away from each other to maintain tank integrity? Should I forget enlarging the 2 holes for the return and just drill a hole on the back center of the overflow and bring the return in there?

I will be running all Schedule 80 HD Bulkheads.

If I keep the orange holes, I know they are a little low and I would be using a pair of 90s to get the water closer to the surface to prevent too much drain back into the sump.

Don

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Sweet! Looking forward to the build!

First Name
    Don

The tank is home!!! This build is going to take a while. I want to make sure I get every detail as close to right as possible! I am contemplating dropping the closed loop and running 4- MP40wES instead. I have been able to trade for 2 additional MP40s and I think that might be the better long term solution. Thoughts?

220 Home L - dcmartinpc's 225 In Wall Deep Dimension Build

Don

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

I agree. My last tank had a closed loop. I quickly came to the conclusion that the MP 40's made it a complete waist of time and energy. I would never do a loop again!

CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

I'll second the MP40's, great pumps, and far simpler to install.

Can't wait to see it wet, I like the dimensions too, maybe someday I'll be able to do a big (near) cube. :D

First Name
    Don

Hey Poseidon! Thanks for the feedback. That's enough for me. No more closed loop!!!

I think I have your old calcium reactor!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400632239.663369.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  38.6 KB

CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

Yes YES you do!

That thing is a BEAST! I was running a solid stream of effluent at 32dKh to keep up with the demand in my tank, it worked GREAT!

I also had a closed loop and would go with mp40s next time too.

First Name
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Yes YES you do!

That thing is a BEAST! I was running a solid stream of effluent at 32dKh to keep up with the demand in my tank, it worked GREAT!
    Holy !%#$ I won't be running that heavy of a load to need that much calcium..... I think it will do the job, it could just do a much larger tank if needed :D

First Name
    Don

So... Since I am switching away from a closed loop, does it even make sense to enlarge the holes on the rear of the aquarium to accommodate my dart return, or do I just plug them and run the dart return over the back?

I will say, it would be nice for the return to come through the back so I can just make one large rectangle mesh top for the tank and call it a day!!! No cutouts, nothing weird, just a rectangle. Actually, now that I type it, I like that idea.

My only problem is, Derek from Miracles was less than supportive when it came to drilling the back of the tank at all, even though it is already drilled... He was pretty insistent that after they drill any panes of glass, they temper them, even on the back.

Any thoughts as to just drilling out the top holes to accommodate larger bulkheads? Here is an updated diagram...

22020Aquarium20Drilling20Back20 20Final20 20No20Closed20Loop L - dcmartinpc's 225 In Wall Deep Dimension Build

Thanks!

Don

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last